S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

A man has to know his limitations.

Old 03-06-2019, 07:16 PM

Received 4,957 Likes on 3,005 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyras
streaking with the same kids.
ha, ha, ha, ha, ha . . . I can't let that one fade into no-wear-land in case someone missed it.
Old 03-06-2019, 07:19 PM

Received 4,957 Likes on 3,005 Posts

Originally Posted by tof
I agree. I can definitely state that I mind a lot of things these days...cold weather, long stair flights, ignorant young-ens, noisy neighbors, gangsta rap, incompetent sales clerks.....
Yah, but crap look how old you are. Almost as old as some as the cars you wish you had bought.
Old 03-07-2019, 04:48 AM

Received 2,772 Likes on 1,627 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04
ha, ha, ha, ha, ha . . . I can't let that one fade into no-wear-land in case someone missed it.
I saw it too....never got into that trend.
Old 03-07-2019, 04:56 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyras
I loved summer nights playing outside in my neighborhood growing up! The good ol' days of knock-knock-knock, "Can Anne (or ?) come out and play?" If I called Anne on the phone her parents would always get mad. She had four older brothers, one just a month older than me and my first crush when I was about 10 years-old: Bill. Does anyone remember the song?

"Will You Marry Me Bill?/Wedding Bell Blues"

I meet Bill, again, about 10 years ago when I went to a family gathering of Anne's . Bill looked and acted like a fleshy, boring drunk. I got the impression his wife was very unhappy.

Among other things as a kid I loved going to a dirt lot and having a dirt clod fight with Anne's brothers and my brother's friends, roller skating with Anne, playing hide-and-seek in the neighborhood, or in the framing of a new apartment building going up a block away, playing Pickle-in-the-middle or, as teenage years were in full swing, streaking with the same kids.

That brings back about a million memories, Patty. Being a Bill, I was plagued by that song. "Calling" for a friend was a daily ritual in the summer. Some days I'd call on the whole neighborhood. I could easily round up 20+ kids in 20 minutes of "calling" at the front doors. We moved when I was 12 and I had to make all new friends. They didn't call in the new neighborhood, just knocked. That worked fine as well. We all had bikes and rode all day and all night. We went for miles together. I was never a streaker. I was always overweight and suffered from body shame.
Old 03-07-2019, 05:01 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

It occurred to me this morning that if the kids in my neighborhood are the people I grew up with, you (and my wife) are all the people I grew old with. 17 years ago when I joined this site I was in my mid 40s. Now I'm in my early 60s. I have friends in the real world, of course, but they come and go, live and die, move away or move on. You are the largest single group of people I know and have regular, almost daily contact with. I guess the internet isn't so bad after all.
Old 03-07-2019, 05:03 AM
Former Moderator

Received 610 Likes on 373 Posts

I agree!
Old 03-07-2019, 05:20 AM

Received 2,596 Likes on 1,571 Posts

This part certainly isn't. Other parts I can do without, and do!! I have what I consider four pretty close friends. Three live in the area. One worked with, then for, me for a number of years and retired before I did. She and I do a lot of things together. The second has lived here for quite a few years after being in CA. We went to high school together. I see her fairly often. All three of us are pretty healthy and active.

The other two some of you know well - Val (valentine) and Angela (grannyrod) - my suthin' sistas. Unfortunately, I am not seeing either one much. Val is in SC and caring for Jim pretty much 24/7. He has Parkinson's Disease and it is exhausting. Her health could be better, too. Angela is local but has been having some issues of her own which I can't discuss. I don't see her as often as I would like but we are in touch. Planning to get together for lunch when the weather warms up. She is still working and not quite ready to retire.

As for The Fifth Dimension, I saw them in concert many years ago. Always liked them.

Last edited by MsPerky; 03-07-2019 at 05:27 AM.
Old 03-07-2019, 05:33 AM

Received 2,990 Likes on 1,663 Posts

Originally Posted by Legal Bill
It occurred to me this morning that if the kids in my neighborhood are the people I grew up with, you (and my wife) are all the people I grew old with. 17 years ago when I joined this site I was in my mid 40s. Now I'm in my early 60s. I have friends in the real world, of course, but they come and go, live and die, move away or move on. You are the largest single group of people I know and have regular, almost daily contact with. I guess the internet isn't so bad after all.
^Yes! I can't remember when I joined but the first time I flew back to meet Vintage people was in Spring 2004 so I've known some of you for almost 15 years. We've all experienced a lot of life and death, since then.

^10-6-2006.

It was because of how this Vintage group has become friends that I started a Facebook group for ElliptiGO riders in Sept 2011. It's done the same thing, that is, connected us over the internet so that we decided to meet in person and have made friendships.

As for streaking, I was 16 and tan. I'll never forget it. It was super scary to walk into the street naked but it was dark. We'd hide if a car came. A couple of the younger boys rode their bikes and would get up ahead of us and ring the doorbell and yell, "Streakers!" I did it twice with about four or five others. Bill, mentioned above, said I was chicken because I was so tan it looked like I still was wearing my bathing suit. Also, Bill, had to stop running and go home after one block. At the time I was innocent but he had wood, I figured out later. I always wondered if it hurt when he ran and that was why he quit.

Last edited by Kyras; 03-07-2019 at 05:41 AM.
Old 03-07-2019, 05:54 AM

Received 2,596 Likes on 1,571 Posts

^ I can't believe it woodn't hurt, Patty. I went skinnydipping twice - one time snuck into a local pool at night with a group and the other with a boyfriend in a local lake at night. I later bought a house on that lake.
Old 03-07-2019, 05:55 AM

Received 2,772 Likes on 1,627 Posts

Originally Posted by Legal Bill
We need a meet!

Quick Reply: A man has to know his limitations.