S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Masters

Old 04-19-2019, 03:43 AM

Received 696 Likes on 472 Posts

I shot 77 twice which were my best rounds ever .If f the pros teed off on the whites where I do they would shoot under 60.
Old 04-19-2019, 03:59 AM

Received 3,499 Likes on 2,366 Posts

That's great Ray.
I've always been an enthusiastic golfer and love the game but that love is one-sided.
I was out of work about 15 years ago and played a lot of golf.
My scores got down to a similar range. Once I started work again, poof the magic was gone.
When we were playing the whistling straights and Erin Hill courses, site of PGA and US open respectively,
I was putting 105's on the card. from the middle tees and not the back tees and they would shooting sub-par.
Very Humbling. Not a bad thing for an arrogant dipsh^t.
Like a glass of water in Death Valley, any dreams of the Senior tour evaporated a long time ago.
Old 04-19-2019, 04:55 PM
tof

Received 1,914 Likes on 1,306 Posts

Originally Posted by S2KRAY
I shot 77 twice which were my best rounds ever .
What's the big deal? I've done that a few times and it only took me nine holes.
Old 04-20-2019, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by boltonblue
That's great Ray.
I've always been an enthusiastic golfer and love the game but that love is one-sided.
I was out of work about 15 years ago and played a lot of golf.
My scores got down to a similar range. Once I started work again, poof the magic was gone.
When we were playing the whistling straights and Erin Hill courses, site of PGA and US open respectively,
I was putting 105's on the card. from the middle tees and not the back tees and they would shooting sub-par.
Very Humbling. Not a bad thing for an arrogant dipsh^t.
Like a glass of water in Death Valley, any dreams of the Senior tour evaporated a long time ago.
I agree. When I shot those scores I was in a golf league and played every week as well as week ends. Lots pf practice in between. When I moved to the beach I joined a senior league that played weekly. It was awful. The pace of play was slower than the Bataan death march. 5+ hours with carts.I couldn't take it and quit. Now I only play when I go to Naples with a buddy who goes there the same time. I shoot in the 90's and that is good enough for me.
Old 04-20-2019, 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by tof
What's the big deal? I've done that a few times and it only took me nine holes.
Old 04-20-2019, 06:01 AM

We have a guy, who's in our league, who routinely shoots in the upper 60's.
sadly it's a nine hole league.
Old 04-20-2019, 02:08 PM

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,105 Posts

I've never played nor watched the game. I just never got into it. To this day, I don't know what people see in the game.

I was once having lunch with a female partner at a mid sized accounting firm. I asked her how she became a partner. Her reply was quick and to the point. She looked at me and said, "I learned how to play golf". I guess an lot of deals and relationships are made on the golf course. I suppose for a lot of people golf is an extension of their business.
Old 04-20-2019, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by ralper
I've never played nor watched the game. I just never got into it. To this day, I don't know what people see in the game.

I was once having lunch with a female partner at a mid sized accounting firm. I asked her how she became a partner. Her reply was quick and to the point. She looked at me and said, "I learned ho aw to play golf". I guess an lot of deals and relationships are made on the golf course. I suppose for a lot of people golf is an extension of their business.
Yes it is. I entertained lots of customers and played golf with them. After a round we met for dinner We got to know one another beyond the scope of the business environment and they opened up and some became friends. My company paid my country club dues so those get togethers could happen. Like the old saying goes, more deals and relationships are made on the golf course then anywhere else.
Old 04-20-2019, 07:01 PM

Rob there is a funny thing about golf.
Ultimately you are playing against yourself and nature. What other sport do you call penalties on yourself.
The great Bobby Jones said golf is played on the 5 inch fairway between the ears.
It is also said Golf is like a pair of bicycle shorts, it reveals a lot about a man. It is about integrity.
A man who is willing to cheat a golf is willing to cheat himself and anything or anyone else as well.

Perhaps the most beguiling aspect of the sport is the demands it puts on you mentally and how effective it is at occupying your mind.
If you want to be good at golf you have to focus; on the wind, the grass, the lie of the ball, the slope of the ground.
If you want to hit it well; you must be relaxed, the swing must flow gently from within, smooth yet controlled.
Those two elements demand your attention and work or home and any of the other crap can't intrude, they must cease and be put out of mind.
There is an exhilaration that comes with a perfect strike, utterly effortless and smooth, watching that little orb rise off into the distance floating towards the pin.
I'm not sure done well there is anything more therapeutic.

Golf has a lot of intrinsic values that reflect well on life.
One must be patient. There will be times when a perfect shot will land on a an unseen twig and take an insane bounce.
There will be times when a gawdawful hack will bounce out of the trees to the center of the fairways.
Life isn't fair, neither is golf. acceptance is critical to success.
In golf there are various risk rewards trades with every shot.
Can you carry over that bunker or stream or marsh area into the wind and face a lost ball or is it better to take the stroke and lay up?
You might get a birdie either way. it is important to know yourself and be honest with yourself about your skills!
The shots behind are already on the card, only the next shot matters. Keep forward looking

The list goes on and on. I wish I had had the opportunity to really learn the game as a younger man.

A bad day at golf is still better than a great day at the office.
Old 04-21-2019, 01:23 PM

Received 1,104 Likes on 700 Posts

Rob, I learned years ago that many owners and partners of CPA firms that bragged about their long working hours were actually counting and including the hours playing golf with clients.

Quick Reply: Masters