S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Mike, how is Cindy treating you?

Old 06-22-2017, 04:19 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts
Default Mike, how is Cindy treating you?

On my TV, all the people of Mississippi and Louisiana are either wading around in hip deep water or driving in torrential rain storms. That got me thinking "I wonder which Mike is doing?" So Mike, how is Cindy treating you?
Old 06-22-2017, 04:24 AM

Received 2,596 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Yes, I was wondering the same thing!! Mike!
Old 06-22-2017, 10:45 AM

Received 3,513 Likes on 2,377 Posts

I suspect for Mike, it's probably the backstroke.
but gotta stay away from the m thar fire ant balls.
Old 06-22-2017, 02:01 PM

Mike, are you out there?
Old 06-22-2017, 02:26 PM

Received 1,411 Likes on 766 Posts

I'm not Mike, but today I drove through some very heavy rainbands from Cindy as I was driving from near Natchez Mississippi to College Station Texas, where I am overnighting. That's the only effect I have seen in my travels. Driving across Alabama and Mississippi yesterday ran into some occasional light rain. Hope Mike fared as well.
Old 06-22-2017, 03:31 PM
tof

Received 1,916 Likes on 1,308 Posts

Thanks for your concern, Bill, et. al. Bottom line is, we are fine and as usual reports of our demise by water have been somewhat exaggerated.

As Bill implied, Cindy is a rain event rather than a wind event. But oh, the rain. We have experienced alternating periods of no rain (but usually overcast), light rain, and heavy downpour. This cycle can repeat every couple of hours. We have had a lot of rain in the last couple of weeks so the ground was already saturated. So lots of ponding for most of us to deal with, (at one point over 120 road closures in the coastal counties) and high rivers for those who live near one of the area's seven or eight major rivers or feeder creeks and bayous. This morning rivers were running from one to five feet above flood stage. Most homes along these rivers are on stilts but some people are stuck in their homes. There is no doubt that some homes have been or will be flooded. Not sure how much more these rivers will rise before they begin to fall. Rain was less frequent today but of course the rivers rise for several days after it stops raining.

No problems here at the house, but Sandy had a close call. A water spout hit shore, where technically it became a tornado. Like the tornadoes embedded in hurricanes these are not usually the monsters we get further north but they can do some serious damage none the less. So I was watching this water spout live on TV from a "tower cam" the local station maintains. Then they identified the location on radar and it was headed straight for the building where Sandy works. I tried to call but by this time everybody in the building was hunkered down. Fortunately, as is often the case with these water spouts, this one began to lift soon after hitting shore so, although Sandy and her co-workers got to hear the classic "freight train" noise, damage to the building was very limited. The roof leaks in many places now and today there were buckets everywhere. But no one was injured.

Close calls like that really make you appreciate things
Old 06-22-2017, 03:37 PM
tof

Bulletin
(Long Beach, MS)

This evening the greater Long Beach area was suddenly and unexpectedly illuminated by an extremely bright light source in the sky, near the western horizon. The source appeared to be bright yellow in color and disk shaped. The sky also displayed scattered patches of blue color against the usual light and dark gray. An investigation is underway to determine the cause of this unusual phenomenon.
Old 06-22-2017, 04:32 PM

Received 4,947 Likes on 3,001 Posts

Originally Posted by tof
Bulletin
(Long Beach, MS)

This evening the greater Long Beach area was suddenly and unexpectedly illuminated by an extremely bright light source in the sky, near the western horizon. The source appeared to be bright yellow in color and disk shaped. The sky also displayed scattered patches of blue color against the usual light and dark gray. An investigation is underway to determine the cause of this unusual phenomenon.
Old 06-22-2017, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by tof
Bulletin
(Long Beach, MS)

Glad you are ok. Let the sun shine in!!!
Old 06-23-2017, 06:29 AM
tof

Thanks. The remains of Cindy are headed y'all's way. Here's hoping she left most of her moisture down south. But be prepared for a wet weekend.

We are STILL getting bands of rain on the coast.

Quick Reply: Mike, how is Cindy treating you?