S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Mork is gone!

Old 08-12-2014, 03:53 PM

Received 3,509 Likes on 2,375 Posts

Not mine but I agree with it.

Mork is gone!-3wonb8a.png

The state of our mental health system is abysmal.
40 years ago they " fixed" all of the abuses of the existing mental health hospital system by simply getting rid of it.
The did not replace it with anything functional. The remaining balance between the legal system and medical field is abysmal.
but no one talks about the dirty little secret.
It is virtually impossible to get help for a mentally ill individual who is drifting.
Unless they are waiving a knife or threatening to jump off a bridge they are OK on their own.
So one day they are fine until they have finally crossed the barrier of "imminent danger" then they go into full lock-down treatment under forced medication until sometime later when the medication has done it's job and they are no longer "dangerous".
At this point they're OK again and get kicked loose all over again waiting to start the next cycle of treat and release.
There is no middle ground to enforce treatment.
Of course the insurance companies don't want anything to do with psychiatric treatment because there are no good metrics for progress and it's just a money pit.

go ahead, Ask me how I really feel.....
Old 08-12-2014, 04:17 PM

Received 2,763 Likes on 1,624 Posts

^
It is a sorry state of affairs.
Old 08-12-2014, 05:48 PM

Received 152 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by boltonblue
Not mine but I agree with it.

For those who have not had a loved one go thru depression, maniac episodes, etc... you have no idea what our health care system is like.

To go in asking for help after admitting yourself..... and not getting any followup with a psychiatrist..... not knowing how you can help yourself...

Well... all I can say is that our "system" for helping people with disabilities needs a complete overhaul!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-12-2014, 06:04 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by boltonblue
40 years ago they " fixed" all of the abuses of the existing mental health hospital system by simply getting rid of it.
The did not replace it with anything functional. The remaining balance between the legal system and medical field is abysmal.
but no one talks about the dirty little secret.
It is virtually impossible to get help for a mentally ill individual who is drifting.
Unless they are waiving a knife or threatening to jump off a bridge they are OK on their own.
So one day they are fine until they have finally crossed the barrier of "imminent danger" then they go into full lock-down treatment under forced medication until sometime later when the medication has done it's job and they are no longer "dangerous".
At this point they're OK again and get kicked loose all over again waiting to start the next cycle of treat and release.
There is no middle ground to enforce treatment.
Of course the insurance companies don't want anything to do with psychiatric treatment because there are no good metrics for progress and it's just a money pit.

go ahead, Ask me how I really feel.....
Indeed. It’s not my intentions to become political, but...

I believe that socialized or public health services and care centers have their advantages. However, I’m not certain that Robin Williams or his family would have inquired or benefited from state supported health services.

I see your point though; a person should use these services (they still exist but not to the extent of the past) if there’s an obvious aggressive or destructive mind-set towards others or oneself. A destructive mental state doesn’t appear to have surfaced in Robin’s case.

gary

Old 08-12-2014, 06:15 PM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts

I don't know, maybe it has something to do with being a celebrity and being in the public eye. I just read an article a few days ago (on MSN) about teenage stars of the 60s, 70s, and 80s and how all of them fell into either drug or alcohol addiction, and for the most part the addiction ended their careers.

I don't know if that's what happened to Robin Williams, or if the depression was somehow brought on because of being a celebrity and constantly in the public eye, but for all of those aspiring to be stars the old adage still applies, "Be careful of what you wish for because you might get it".
Old 08-13-2014, 09:49 AM

Received 4,945 Likes on 2,999 Posts

For those looking for some "insight" into this, please listen to this spot from NPR with Dick Cavett's insight.

http://www.npr.org/2014/08/12/339878...steps-offstage
Old 08-13-2014, 12:17 PM

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Emil St-Hilaire
On the news,they said,he hung himself. I don't understand,can't understand;Rich and Famous,relatively young,and desperate.
Robin Williams being depressed had nothing to do with being famous, rich or young. He was clinically depressed. That involves a chemical problem that impacts the the brain. It is usually indicated by several symptoms over a prolonged period of time. It is usually treated through a combination of counseling and mediation. From what I saw onscreen of him during interviews he showed observable systems of clinical depression. As far as I can remember he appeared restless most of the time and was unable to articulate his thoughts with clarity. Only his closest family and friends would really know whether or not he showed additional signs of depression aside from his abuse of alcohol/drugs. Take a read.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-c...n/faq-20057770

Nevertheless sad to see him go. I enjoyed many of his shows and movies. My favorite was his guest appearances on Happy Days as Mork.
Old 08-13-2014, 01:02 PM

Received 4,945 Likes on 2,999 Posts

Originally Posted by s2k4life_az
Originally Posted by Emil St-Hilaire
On the news,they said,he hung himself. I don't understand,can't understand;Rich and Famous,relatively young,and desperate.
Robin Williams being depressed had nothing to do with being famous, rich or young. He was clinically depressed.
Exactly, Dick Cavett's interview after Robin's death (which I posted above points out) and Cavett should know since he has fought depression himself over his lifetime and knew Robin personally.

Robin sadly did hang himself with a belt, and not an over-dose as many may have thought.
Old 08-27-2014, 08:51 PM

Received 458 Likes on 270 Posts

I think thatthis tribute to Robin Williams is both fitting and COOL.

Yes, I posted it in both threads intentionally.