S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

MsP's Guest Bathroom Renovation

Old 06-22-2008, 02:52 AM

Received 2,584 Likes on 1,565 Posts
Default MsP's Guest Bathroom Renovation

OK, Y'all. Some of you know I renovated my condo kitchen last year. In case anyone on the face of the earth missed that thread (HAHA), here it is again: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...ic=466876&st=0 Well, I'm ready to spend more money - fortunately, not near what the kitchen cost! - and move on to one of the two bathrooms. The guest bath (which needs it more). As usual, the +1 has zero interest in my remodeling projects. In this case, he said he only cares about a place to pee.

I think it's time to go ahead and start this thread, since decision making is a big part of renovation. Feel free to chime in with your own bath remodel issues/plans. Stick to bathrooms, though, please, since we'll go way off if we start to discuss other projects and the thread will become humongous.

This project was supposed to start mid September, but my contractor wants to move it up to the first of August, which I think will work. I basically picked out the vanity and fixtures a couple of months ago, so I paid another visit yesterday (6/21/08) to the bath place to photograph the Carrera marble top on the vanity I selected, and to get an extension on paying for everything (vanity and all fixtures except for the lights on either side of the mirror, which were too expensive - I'll pick them elsewhere). Then went to the tile place to rethink my marble choice for the floor and shower walls (12 x 12s). I picked out a beautiful one previously (white/rose/black/grey), but I'm afraid it's too "busy" for a small bathroom. So am going more neutral (basically white with grey/black).

Once I get the floor/wall marble chosen (browsing at graniteland.com as well as at the tile place), I'll pick out the mosaic tile for the shower floor. Work will take about six weeks - complete tearout, including floor this time - so I'll be doing another start to finish thread like I did for the kitchen. Here's a pic of the vanity with matching mirror. It will look like this except for another set of drawers on the left:

Hard to post pics of the fixtures, but if I can't I'll put a list of what I'm having installed (same contractor as the kitchen - the guy is awesome!!).
Old 06-22-2008, 02:58 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Deb, I'm curious RE cost on these remodel projects. What percent of the cost is labor - 50-60%?
Old 06-22-2008, 03:42 AM

^ Not sure you can figure it as a percentage. In the case of the kitchen, the contractor was about 30% of the total. He will be about 50% of the total for the bath. That may be a more realistic estimate if you want one. The biggest expense for the kitchen was the cabinets - half the cost! But worth every penny!!
Old 06-22-2008, 04:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, the main one's occupied and you're sitting there in the guest bath, contemplating whatever it is you contemplate in those circumstances, when you have an epiphany: this room needs redecorating!

It seems like such epiphanies are somehow linked to those individuals carrying around two X chromosomes -- those of us with a Y just don't seem to think in those terms.

Anyway, planning ahead is always a good idea, and (while accommodating the aspirations of my double-X partner) I've noticed that there are all sorts of new and cool bath technologies out there: high-tech shower stalls, in particular, seem worth checking out. Dual-head showers, with sprays from different directions, seem quite the luxury.

At least, unlike your kitchen, you've got two of these rooms, providing a back-up when one's out of commission. HPH
Old 06-22-2008, 05:49 AM

Correct... Like the kitchen, the baths are 20+ years old, so are in need of a redo. Also a good investment. Speaking of the investment, my real estate agent told me to get rid of the bathtub. You are required to have only one, so the remodel will be shower only. These days, peeps want showers.

I suppose the relationship will survive both of us using the same bath area for six weeks. He normally uses the guest bath. I'm not going too crazy on the shower fixtures. I am getting a rain head in the center, along with an adjustable hand-held shower on the wall above the drain. There will be glass doors. Didn't realize there are so many options for glass in the doors these days. I chose one called Rain. It looks like rain running down the glass and provides more privacy (also will not show water spots!). The only fixture he cared about was the throne. He picked that out.
Old 06-22-2008, 05:54 AM

It's probably a good idea to pick out your own hardware, especially the towel bars and hooks, etc.

There are lots of options these days. Remember the discussion of Truck Nutz? HPH
Old 06-22-2008, 05:58 AM

True...but I already replaced the towel racks, so I'm keeping them and coordinating the sink faucet to match - chrome and brass. The shower fixtures will be all chrome.
Old 06-22-2008, 07:50 AM

Well, my contractor just called with a scheduling change, so it appears the project will start the first of August instead of mid September! Means I have to get my act together asap on remaining decisions.
Old 06-22-2008, 08:50 AM

Pics or ban!

Err...I suppose it is a bit early yet but I am looking forward to seeing the result. The +1, however, will hopefully never see this thread.
Old 06-22-2008, 08:50 AM

Received 1,105 Likes on 987 Posts

Deb-

Since you are removing the bathtub-is your shower going to take up the same footprint as the bathtub, or are you going to have the shower take up less space-and use the remainder as storage?

Quick Reply: MsP's Guest Bathroom Renovation