S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

MsP's Guest Bathroom Renovation

Old 01-27-2016, 05:33 AM

Received 2,596 Likes on 1,571 Posts

I think we are OK...talked to the guy. He's gonna get new paint and says he should be able to match the grout and sealant. He's been doing this for 13 years, so I assume he's seen/done pretty much everything. Actually three guys working - one is the drywall guy, etc.
Old 01-27-2016, 08:31 AM

Guys are working fast and doing a good job so far. Everything is patched and the tile is back up. Just waiting on another layer of sealant before painting and for the grout. Tomorrow paint and put back shower doors.
Old 01-28-2016, 04:53 AM

Wasn't sure if they were going to paint the whole room, but they are. Nice to have it done after eight years.
Old 01-28-2016, 05:30 AM

I reread this thread. Had forgotten some things about the experience. Also found some peeps who have not posted in some time - wonder what they are up to??? If any of you are reading, let us know! Raymo, silvershadow, OhioRacer, Dr Cloud, matrix, Spokes Man.
Old 01-29-2016, 03:06 AM

Work is done. Everything looks good. I'm taking a couple of pics. Might post them, but the room looks pretty much like it did back on Page 6 - like new.
Old 04-09-2017, 06:39 AM

Received 921 Likes on 543 Posts

Hello, MsPerky!

I am reviving this old thread, because we are going to have two bathrooms remodeled, a smaller bathroom off the master bedroom and a larger bathroom off the hallway. I have just spent a lot of time on this old thread, looking at all of the pictures and reading all of the comments.

We have already started working with the designer of the company that is going to do the work for us.

This is the first time we have done any remodeling. Do you have any advice for us?

What are some of the things you love about your bathroom and what are some things you might have done differently? Thanks for any advice you can give us.

I love your bathroom, and I still need to look at your other thread of remodeling the master bathroom.
Old 04-09-2017, 07:20 AM

Hello Sue!

First off, I did not use a designer for the bathrooms (I did for the kitchen) because it was pretty much tear out and replace. You can see from the pics I went down to the studs. The guest bath did have a tub installed which was removed for a shower only. Replaced the tub in the master bath. I picked out and ordered everything except for the ceiling lights/fans which my installer got for me. Takes quite a bit of decision making and coordination to make sure all the tile and fixtures show up on time. I ordered some of the fixtures online and went to a bathroom supplier for the rest. The tile (Carrera marble in the guest bath and onyx in the master) and counter slabs were all from the same company that supplied the granite for the kitchen. So I developed a good relationship with them. I also tend to be someone who knows when I see something that it will work. So picking out the tile (which is probably the most important part in my case since I had it on the walls and floors of both baths) went quickly once I saw the samples. Since you are using a designer, I assume that person will do all the coordinating? So you just have to make the decisions on what you want. If you are using a slab for the counters, you need to go to the supplier to pick out the exact slab you want and tell them where/how you want it cut. The look of the stone varies a lot from one section to another. I do recommend undermounted sinks. So much easier to wipe the counters and keep clean. Not a fan of vessel sinks (the ones that sit on the counter) although those could work OK.

Picking the right person to do the work is key, of course. My guy could do everything - electrical, plumbing, tile setting, etc so I didn't have to worry about subcontractors not showing up. For the most part he was reliable, but because he lived fairly far away, did not generally work past 2 PM to beat DC traffic. Each bath took six weeks. I would not recommend doing both at the same time. I waited awhile between the projects because a kitchen and two baths was a lot, plus I wanted to think about my experience and the quality of work that my contractor did. He did well, as it turns out, because I used him for the kitchen and both baths.

After all is said and done I would not change anything about what I chose for the baths. I still love them both. I preferred a curtain in the master bath. In the guest bath shower I would have preferred the rimless glass or partial glass panels (really like that look), but the size of the door area and bath was not large enough for that design. One thing I still really, really love is the leather finish on the counter in the master bath. You have to see the finish to understand how it looks but it's beautiful.

Good luck with your remodel and let me know if you have any other questions. Glad to help!

Last edited by MsPerky; 04-09-2017 at 07:40 AM.
Old 04-09-2017, 12:23 PM

Received 133 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by buckeyesue
Hello, MsPerky!

I am reviving this old thread, because we are going to have two bathrooms remodeled, a smaller bathroom off the master bedroom and a larger bathroom off the hallway. I have just spent a lot of time on this old thread, looking at all of the pictures and reading all of the comments.

We have already started working with the designer of the company that is going to do the work for us.

This is the first time we have done any remodeling. Do you have any advice for us?

What are some of the things you love about your bathroom and what are some things you might have done differently? Thanks for any advice you can give us.

I love your bathroom, and I still need to look at your other thread of remodeling the master bathroom.
Having done a few bathrooms, and doing another at this moment, the only advice I have is Toto toilets. They make bath fixtures, but I really like my Toto toilets.
Old 04-09-2017, 04:34 PM

Received 921 Likes on 543 Posts

Thanks, MsPerky and Zippy, for your ideas.

We are not really doing both bathrooms at exactly the same time...one will be after the other. The designer will be helping us make some of the decisions, going shopping with us, coordinating the whole project, etc.

MsPerky, you mentioned tile on the walls of the bathroom. I might be missing something in the pictures, but I didn't see tile on the walls of the bathroom, just on the walls of the shower. I might have to spend some more time looking through this thread again...the pictures and the comments.

And, I have barely looked at your Master Bathroom thread at all yet. That should keep me busy for a while, too.
Old 04-09-2017, 06:21 PM

Yeah, sorry for the confusion. Some of the wall space is painted. The tile goes all the way to the ceiling in the bathtub/shower enclosures, which means the back wall and part of two side walls.