S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Music of Religions

Old 09-24-2015, 04:16 PM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts
Default Music of Religions

This isn't about religion, it's about the music and chanting that accompanies the services.

Yesterday I spent the better part of the day, Yom Kippur, in my temple listening to the singing and praying. I belong to a reform temple and the singing and praying is accompanied by a piano. As I sat and listened I once again realized how very beautiful the music is.

Today I watched the Pope and the services at Saint Patrick's Cathedral. As I listened to the singing, praying and chanting I once again thought about how beautiful the music is.

It doesn't matter which religion or even whether you believe, the music is very, very beautiful. Do you agree?
Old 09-24-2015, 04:28 PM

Received 1,057 Likes on 540 Posts

Yes I've always liked diversity in music. Especially preamplified music. Cantors, choirs, and chanting hold a particular fascination for me. They reflect very different and ancient times in human culture. I wonder what music sounded like to the first people who rocked to the beat of a drum.

fltsfshr
Old 09-24-2015, 05:50 PM

Received 3,514 Likes on 2,378 Posts

I'm about as religious as a rock but I do love many of the pieces composed with that purpose in mind.
The works of Johann Sebastian Bach top my personal list.
I think back to what it must have been like to to toil in the fields all week long and then go to mass on Sunday morning
and listen to the some of his work played on some of the spectacular organ works of the great cathedrals.
I have to believe it was quite humbling.
Old 09-25-2015, 02:25 AM

Received 709 Likes on 434 Posts

I agree with you Rob. I particularly enjoy the chants and often listen to them. Very soothing. I also enjoy Native American flutes and the Australian didgeridoo.
Old 09-25-2015, 04:08 AM

Received 3,804 Likes on 3,029 Posts

I agree. I always enjoy the music particularily at Christmastime when I am home for the Holidays and go to our Catholic Christmas mass.
Rob I had a question for you on my calendar at home it mentions the 2 jewish holidays this month and I noticed that they each start at certain times of the day. I was curious as to why this was?
Old 09-25-2015, 04:35 AM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts

Originally Posted by robb
I agree. I always enjoy the music particularily at Christmastime when I am home for the Holidays and go to our Catholic Christmas mass.
Rob I had a question for you on my calendar at home it mentions the 2 jewish holidays this month and I noticed that they each start at certain times of the day. I was curious as to why this was?
Robb,

The day on the Jewish calendar is different than the day that we are used to. On our calendar the day starts at midnight and ends at 11:59 pm. On the Jewish calendar the day starts at sundown of the evening before and ends at sundown of that day. For example, this year Yom Kippur was on Wednesday but it actually started at sundown on Tuesday evening and ended at sundown on Wednesday evening.

If you've ever heard the commercials for B & H Photo and wondered why it was closed on Friday afternoon and Saturday the reason is because the company is owned by very religious Jews (from the Hasidic sect). The Sabbath is Saturday, but it actually begins at sundown on Friday and ends on sundown on Saturday. They close at noon on Friday to allow themselves to be home in time for the beginning of Sabbath at sundown on Friday.
Old 09-25-2015, 04:48 AM

Received 3,804 Likes on 3,029 Posts

Originally Posted by ralper
Originally Posted by robb' timestamp='1443182904' post='23757490
Robb,

The day on the Jewish calendar is different than the day that we are used to. On our calendar the day starts at midnight and ends at 11:59 pm. On the Jewish calendar the day starts at sundown of the evening before and ends at sundown of that day. For example, this year Yom Kippur was on Wednesday but it actually started at sundown on Tuesday evening and ended at sundown on Wednesday evening.

If you've ever heard the commercials for B & H Photo and wondered why it was closed on Friday afternoon and Saturday the reason is because the company is owned by very religious Jews (from the Hasidic sect). The Sabbath is Saturday, but it actually begins at sundown on Friday and ends on sundown on Saturday. They close at noon on Friday to allow themselves to be home in time for the beginning of Sabbath at sundown on Friday.
Thanks Rob. I do have some experience with IIRC they were Hasidic Jews. They came up and stayed at the resort that I was working at. They had us place fishing line around the area that they stayed and also they were not allowed to use any electricity again I think it was on a Fri. I also remember one funny story was they weren't allowed to flush the toilets and then at 12:01 when they were allowed to flush the toilets they all did at once and I'm talking about 1000's of toilets. Ended up our sewers couldn't handle all that at once!
Old 09-25-2015, 05:33 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

One of my favorites:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4q6eaLn2mY
Old 09-25-2015, 10:01 AM

Received 3,514 Likes on 2,378 Posts

Originally Posted by Legal Bill
hell that's our morning ritual at work. Although we're a slightly different order, we bang our heads against the wall instead.
Old 09-26-2015, 07:12 AM

Received 133 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Legal Bill