S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

My Local Public School System

Old 09-03-2014, 12:36 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default My Local Public School System

Many of my local school systems are advocating a later start time as a means to improve their student’s learning abilities. Some studies suggest that the circadian rhythms (late to sleep late to rise) of the young affect their early morning learning abilities, and that a later start time would improve those learning abilities.

I know that the U.S. spends more, yet lags behind many other countries, particularly in science and math. Could a later start day be a panacea for our shortcomings?

Personally, I’m not convinced by this study and put the blame on our deficiencies that consist of, monies ill spent, and a general lack of motivation on the administration, teaching staff, parents and the students.

What’s your take?
Old 09-03-2014, 12:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feel that with 2 hours of sleep more in high school would have helped my grades.
Old 09-03-2014, 01:10 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mugen_rsx09
I feel that with 2 hours of sleep more in high school would have helped my grades.
Hmm. Okay, thanks!

gary
Old 09-03-2014, 03:03 PM

Received 1,561 Likes on 927 Posts

They are simply not teaching what was once standard. Less, not more. No cursive. Our HS English teacher has students bringing in notes and cards from grandparents that are unreadable as they are in cursive. They cannot read older documents (Declaration, Bill of Rights, etc.)

Many of the kids cannot read time on an analog clock.

Cannot read and write, cannot read or tell the time. They are functionally illiterate.

We are doomed.
Old 09-03-2014, 03:07 PM

Received 322 Likes on 273 Posts

I don't buy it....If kids can sleep in later then they'll just stay up later at nite and still get the same amount of sleep. What a joke.
Levi
Old 09-03-2014, 05:09 PM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts

I don't buy it either. There are so many deficiencies in the school system that to suggest a later start in the day as the fix is laughable.
Old 09-03-2014, 05:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A few years ago, I had to endure the sight of several 30-something college graduates who couldn't solve the junior-high math problems presented to one of their nephews. Simple two unknown, two equation "word problems." They got the answers by repeatedly guessing at them, and adjusting their next guess until the guesses fit the problems. But if the numbers hadn't been easy, they could not have solved the problems.

I've paid taxes into the public school system and state colleges for decades; I've been defrauded and I want my money back!
Old 09-03-2014, 08:37 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

The school boards should study the effect of giving kids a good kick in the pants if they don't do their homework and go to school on time.
Old 09-04-2014, 05:18 AM

Received 2,763 Likes on 1,624 Posts

Originally Posted by Legal Bill
The school boards should study the effect of giving kids a good kick in the pants if they don't do their homework and go to school on time.

I was on school bus drop off duty this AM. Thankfully, if they do the study you are recommending Bill, the grandson won't get a kick in the pants. His homework was done, and I got him to the bus on time.

At age 13 granddaughter is really good about getting herself up and ready for school on her own. I used to have to almost drag her Dad out of bed in the AM.

Don't you love stopping for a school bus while some kid runs down the street, at the very last minute, or some parent, still dressed in PJs strolls with the kid over to the bus stop, while the cars are all lined up behind the bus?

Maybe that's a different thread.
Old 09-04-2014, 04:12 PM

Received 354 Likes on 217 Posts

Some of the greatest minds this country ever produced got up at 4am, did chores on the farm-then went to school.

Quick Reply: My Local Public School System