S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

My S doesn't get much love.

Old 06-21-2017, 06:33 AM

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Sounds like my area but mines probably worse. Every year there is a big car show here where people come from all over. I'm talking like a thousand or more cars, mostly muscle cars and older folks. The do wop music alone is enough to keep me away. I'm in my 40's now and I love rock music from the later 60's and 70's as much or more than newer stuff but I can't stand most music that is played at these older cars shows from the earlier 60's and 50's. I like the older cars well enough but it also makes me sad that there is no car scene around here for more modern and foreign sports cars. Honestly I'd rather see older Porches, Volvos, MG's, Triumphs, Old Z cars, etc. than most of these muscle cars. I would never even consider taking my S2000 to any kind of car meet or show around here. You're out of your element. What do you expect?
Old 06-21-2017, 06:41 AM

Received 2,744 Likes on 1,619 Posts

We've gone to many car shows over they years, but never to show our S2000. We still enjoy looking at the old cars, and I don't even mind the old music. I'm beyond my 40's but was barely a kid in the 50's. The old cars were a special era. I still remember the commercials when new cars came out and if we saw one on the street it was a big deal. We were not exactly in an affluent neighborhood, new cars were not the norm.

I can see why the Honda would not attract attention at that type of show. We have also gone to a couple Cars N Coffee meets. Nice mix of the newer cars, the Porsche, the S2000, even a Ferrari or two. The Porsche guys organize a regular Sunday meet and were most welcoming. We haven't been yet this year.

We have been to a British car show too, where our own Legal Bill was showing off his Austin. I guess if one wants to find the right amount of interest in their vehicle, you have to be selective as to where you show it.
Old 06-21-2017, 12:03 PM

Received 464 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by ralper
I don't know. I don't think its the rarity of the car so much as the fact that most people just don't take sports cars seriously. Especially Japanese sports cars. English and Italian sports cars at least have a heritage, Japanese sports cars really don't.

Next time,bring in a 2000 GT Toyota,and see what happens...
Old 06-21-2017, 01:24 PM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Emil St-Hilaire
Last time I saw one of those, I actually saw two! They were parked outside the track at the 1976 Watkin's Glen GP. Made an impression on me back then. So did the original 427 Cobras that were running in the support race in the morning.
Old 06-21-2017, 02:13 PM

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by Emil St-Hilaire

I really don't think it would make much difference to the Cruise Night crowd. They probably wouldn't know what they were looking at.
Old 06-21-2017, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by WVCR-V
You out of your element. What do you expect?
I half agree with you, but only half way. I'd have thought that car guys and car women would appreciate cars, all cars, not just the iron that they have. I'm not particularly fond of muscle cars and most American iron, but I do look at them and appreciate them for what they are.
Old 06-21-2017, 02:20 PM
tof

Received 1,914 Likes on 1,306 Posts

All this sounds very familiar. Although strangely I get as much interest in my old Accord as I did in the NSX at such events. I guess its just a nostalgia thing as you guys say. Rob, one thing that helps is parking right in the middle of a bunch of muscle cars and showing interest/giving complements on their rides. Many will feel the need to return the favor and a few of those actually end up impressed with your modern little Japanese sports car.
Old 06-21-2017, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Legal Bill
Rob, no Asian car clubs in your area?
No, not really. There is a very strong Northern New Jersey MG club. They put on a "Britfest" every year in a park near here, but it's only for British cars. I go every year. I love looking at the old MGs and Morgans.

There isn't a strong Asian car club or Honda club here. There are some young people in Dover who very heavily modify Japanese cars, but that's not what I'm looking for.

Actually Al and I are trying to revitalize the NJ/NY Club that was attached to S2KCA. At one time it was pretty strong (remember the "Gathering in the Garden State") but we really haven't gotten any response.
Old 06-21-2017, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by tof
All this sounds very familiar. Although strangely I get as much interest in my old Accord as I did in the NSX at such events. I guess its just a nostalgia thing as you guys say. Rob, one thing that helps is parking right in the middle of a bunch of muscle cars and showing interest/giving complements on their rides. Many will feel the need to return the favor and a few of those actually end up impressed with your modern little Japanese sports car.
Actually I do that. For the first 45 minutes I walk around and tell the owners how very beautiful and cool their cars are. They all appreciate the compliments and are very gracious, but they never seem to notice the S when they pass by.
Old 06-21-2017, 02:40 PM
tof

Received 1,914 Likes on 1,306 Posts

Originally Posted by ralper
Actually I do that. For the first 45 minutes I walk around and tell the owners how very beautiful and cool their cars are. They all appreciate the compliments and are very gracious, but they never seem to notice the S when they pass by.
Wear a louder shirt.

Quick Reply: My S doesn't get much love.