S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

My search for a new daily driver

Old 06-16-2017, 05:56 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by ralper
My new Si is home.

Rob, you picked the right color. That monochorme look really helps pull all the body lines, breaks and accents together. The car looks much more of one piece rather than a a number of parts joined together.
Old 06-16-2017, 06:17 AM

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by Legal Bill
Rob, you picked the right color. That monochorme look really helps pull all the body lines, breaks and accents together. The car looks much more of one piece rather than a a number of parts joined together.
Thanks Bill. That's what I thought too. I had the benefit of seeing it's twin in white and didn't like the clash between the black trim and the color of the car. I thought with the black car everything looked like it fit together as one piece.
Old 06-16-2017, 06:28 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Thanks Bill. That's what I thought too. I had the benefit of seeing it's twin in white and didn't like the clash between the black trim and the color of the car. I thought with the black car everything looked like it fit together as one piece.
Exactly. In every other color the car looks like the hood is open and that they never really finished forming the fenders and fitting the trim pieces. It always gave me the impression of a transformer toy that had not quite yet been pushed back into the shape of a car. Yet in black, it looks fine.
Old 06-16-2017, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by Jet sitter
Neat looking car Rob. I checked locally and the nearest dealership that has one is 79 miles away. I see that it has plenty of torque. I looked at a Accord 6 cylinder with a 6mt, a few years ago, and the problem on that car was torque steer. Does the SI also have the same issue? I'm sure that if you drive it, you would eventually get used to the power to the front wheels, but with me just taking a test drive, I never got the hang of it. I was not even touching the gas pedal when I started out, just let the clutch out slowly until I got it rolling than applied the gas. It's been a few years ago, like I said, so they probably have worked out that issue. With a 1.5 liter engine, I'd expect to see some very good gas mileage. It's got a great safety rating, maybe I'll have to check with the local dealerships to see if they are going to get any in.
Don't forget I drove a 2006 Civic Si for a number of years and got used to the front wheel drive. I have no problems with it. In a car like the Si (and I assume in the Type R as well) its very easy to get used to.

There is a limited slip diff up front which Honda claims is there to eliminate the torque steer. I had no torque steer in my 2006 and feel none in the new Si.

There is much more low end torque, the new Si is much faster from a standing stop and much faster in the lower revs. In the normal mode there is a bit of a turbo lag, not terrible but it's there. None in the sport mode.

The transmission is typical Honda, excellent.

I only have 150 miles on the car and only own it for 1 week. I'll do a complete write up after a few more weeks and a few more miles.
Old 06-16-2017, 07:03 AM

Received 4,929 Likes on 2,989 Posts

The night before last we were leaving the grandson's baseball game and Donna said what's that? It was a new Si in silver. I agree, black is the only color that works on that car otherwise in my view there are too many conflicting visuals. Good choice even if it is the hardest to keep clean.
Old 06-19-2017, 04:46 AM

Received 4,929 Likes on 2,989 Posts

Civic R status update

http://www.autonews.com/article/2017...utonews-weekly
Old 06-20-2017, 12:07 PM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Don't forget I drove a 2006 Civic Si for a number of years and got used to the front wheel drive. I have no problems with it. In a car like the Si (and I assume in the Type R as well) its very easy to get used to.

There is a limited slip diff up front which Honda claims is there to eliminate the torque steer. I had no torque steer in my 2006 and feel none in the new Si.

There is much more low end torque, the new Si is much faster from a standing stop and much faster in the lower revs. In the normal mode there is a bit of a turbo lag, not terrible but it's there. None in the sport mode.

The transmission is typical Honda, excellent.

I only have 150 miles on the car and only own it for 1 week. I'll do a complete write up after a few more weeks and a few more miles.
Just spoke with the local Honda dealership and they told me that they will be getting them in next month. It must be a limited production, because the dealership is the largest in the state.
Old 06-20-2017, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by dlq04
Today on my way home I stopped at my dealer to see if they've gotten my license plates in yet. I hate driving the car with the temp plates. It's a give away that the car is brand new. They didn't get my plates but they did get their first shipment of Type Rs. The car that was in the middle of the showroom was beautiful in an electric blue. The wing is a bit too much and the black bumpers should have been color matched to the body but without question Honda has a winner. The car's sticker is $35,000 and the "market adjustment" is $15,000 for a total of $50,000. As I was standing there two guys came in to price it. They said the dealer one town over is marking theirs up by $17,500. I'm sure that they'll get it and so was everyone else there who knew what it is.

They have three. This blue one, a white one and a black one.

For me the Type R is a bit over the top but I'm sure a lot of younger enthusiasts will love it.

It looks like Honda has gotten it's Mojo back.

Old 06-20-2017, 02:46 PM

Received 696 Likes on 472 Posts

Today on my way home I stopped at my dealer to see if they've gotten my license plates in yet. I hate driving the car with the temp plates. It's a give away that the car is brand new. They didn't get my plates but they did get their first shipment of Type Rs. The car that was in the middle of the showroom was beautiful in an electric blue. The wing is a bit too much and the black bumpers should have been color matched to the body but without question Honda has a winner. The car's sticker is $35,000 and the "market adjustment" is $15,000 for a total of $50,000. As I was standing there two guys came in to price it. They said the dealer one town over is marking theirs up by $17,500. I'm sure that they'll get it and so was everyone else there who knew what it is.

They have three. This blue one, a white one and a black one.

For me the Type R is a bit over the top but I'm sure a lot of younger enthusiasts will love it.

It looks like Honda has gotten it's Mojo back.

Your new SI looks awesome. Black is definitely the right color. If you need any products for keeping it looking new let me know.
Old 06-20-2017, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by S2KRAY
Your new SI looks awesome. Black is definitely the right color. If you need any products for keeping it looking new let me know.
Thank you. I will. I'll probably need some advice on keeping it young looking as well. It's an outdoor car/daily driver and I've never owned a black car before. I hear keeping them clean is a nightmare.