S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Neighborhood Associations

Old 10-30-2003, 05:27 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Rick makes an excellent point about the community aspect. I wish there were a way to regulate this but there isn't. I remember when we were younger and had our 1st house built. We were all up and coming yuppies I guess and we were over each others houses constantly. Playing cards, parties, getting the small kids together, whatever. Where I am now you're lucky if someone waves to you.
Old 10-30-2003, 05:28 PM

Received 1,413 Likes on 767 Posts

Originally posted by ralper

To agree with Carmen, being on the Board of Directors was a thankless job, and any decision we made angered and upset someone.

My experience was similar to both of yours in that 5% of the residents caused 95% of the problems.

Thanks, Rob, for another perspective. Either vertical or horizontal development brings along similar problems!
Old 10-30-2003, 05:46 PM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts

Originally posted by OhioRacer
Rick makes an excellent point about the community aspect. I wish there were a way to regulate this but there isn't. I remember when we were younger and had our 1st house built. We were all up and coming yuppies I guess and we were over each others houses constantly. Playing cards, parties, getting the small kids together, whatever. Where I am now you're lucky if someone waves to you.
One of the things that always fascinated me about city living was that while you live 2 plaster board thicknesses away from your neighbors, you hardly ever see them. Your building is your community but there is rarely a sense of community within the building. Now I live in suburban New Jersey. Our homes are on lots 1 1/2 to 2 acres in size, but we see our neighbors all of the time. Whereas in the city nobody really knew anyone else, here everyone is minding everyone elses business.

Here in the suburbs, some communities are cold and have no soul (mine is like this) while others have a very strong sense of community. I wonder what makes the "magic" happen.
Old 10-30-2003, 06:16 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ralper,

That was my experience when we lived in a coop in NYC. You saw people in the elevators, lobby, and hallways and no one every said boo to anyone else. Very cold.

I think the "magic" is a core group of people who give their hearts to the community and reach out to others. Also it helps to have a mix of ages and activities for children that bring families together. Rules and regulations do not a community make
Old 10-30-2003, 06:51 PM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rick Hesel
ralper,

I think the "magic" is a core group of people who give their hearts to the community and reach out to others.
Old 10-30-2003, 07:45 PM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Like Carmen, we have a "double dose" of Neighborhood Assn...one in South Central PA with 6 cottages on 26 acres, and one in an older Philly suburb with 34 houses. Both were developed around 1915-20 and have some Historical connections.

Interestingly, both have a really strong sense of community; obligation to maintain common areas; shared seasonal "work days" and community events (potluck suppers, BBQs, kids parties); at least annual official meetings; but NO legal standing that forces people to comply with rules/regulations. All cooperation is handled by consensus/ peer group action...occasional cajoling

The annual dues are $150 in the country and $350 here in the Philly suburbs. In each case, this pays for maintenance of private roads; snow plowing; landscape/ tree maintenance in common areas; liability insurance, etc. While not legally enforceable, we rarely have a problem with collections.

In general, it's pretty neat....just like the S2000 Community. We know 100% of the people at our cottage very well, and about 90% here in the 'burbs. Maybe we would like co-housing more than Carmen

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jukngene
In keeping with the General format of this forum, I would like to hear some of our member's opinions of neighborhood associations, both good and bad.

My questions: What are the annual dues for Associations in your area? How do you enforce Deed Restrictions? How do we put "teeth"
Old 10-31-2003, 02:23 AM

Received 2,596 Likes on 1,571 Posts

I couldn't help but think about the community online here, especially the Vintage one...Hmmmm.
Old 10-31-2003, 07:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was a Realtor for several years and I can tell you that once C,C&Rs are violated, there is no going back. Violated and nothing done sets a precedente. How can you enforce some and not others? Once it's gone, it's gone. The entire document becomes worthless unless the violations are violations of federal law. I've seen C,C&Rs restricting ownership by race and religion. Imagine that.

This is precisely why I couldn't live in a Co0p. It just doesn't work.
Old 10-31-2003, 04:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ran into a lengthy thread about this subject on another board. It got started because the neighborhood did not allow motorcycles.

BMW Sport Touring Site

I thought the S would curb my appetite for another bike. Instead, it just revved it up more. I'm saving my pennies for a BMW R1150RT. They're quieter in stock form than the S is. Another marvelous piece of engineering.

Gary