S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

New Accord not selling well

Old 03-13-2018, 06:08 PM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts

Dave, you should buy the CR-V already. We have a 2012 with 68,000 miles and can't believe how good it is. From what I've heard, the new ones run circles around the 2012s in terms of handling and performance.

For us the CR-V was bought as a spare vehicle just to have around. We bought a Certified Used one figuring that we didn't want to put a lot of money into a vehicle whose purpose was to go to the recycling center, Home Depot and through the snow. Since buying it it's become our weekend car and our traveling car. Liz uses it all week, I don't think she's put more than 500 miles on her Acura since we bought the CR-V 2 years ago. I took it to work last week during the Noreaster. It got me there and home again without a problem. It starts every morning and gets us home every night.

Stop fooling around and buy it already. You'll love it.
Old 03-13-2018, 07:39 PM

Received 4,958 Likes on 3,005 Posts

Originally Posted by ralper
Stop fooling around and buy it already. You'll love it.
At the moment I don't need a 4th vehicle. I love all the extra garage space, no insurance, etc. But if I send my truck off for a professional restoration; which I am actually considering in lieu of buying a new one, then it would definitely be time. You know me and research, in addition to actually test driving a 2017 for an entire day I have research it at Consumers Reports (CR), Car & Driver (C&D), Motor Trend (MT), Edmonds (E), US News (USN), Consumer Guide (CG), AutoWeek (AW), The Detroit News (TDN), Chicago Tribune (CT), Auto Extremist (AE), Automotive News (AN), Automobile Magazine (AM), and Car Preview (CP). Excuse the (xxx) but they link to all my notes on every aspect of their findings in my pages of notes.
Old 03-14-2018, 03:18 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Must see if you gals and guys like Top Gear
Good morning ladies and gentleman, sorry if I’m off topic? But all this talk about SUVs reminds me of an episode I once seen of Top Gear!
Old 03-14-2018, 04:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hecash
I was an early SUV adopter with a short-lived Jimmy and then a '91 Typhoon. They were trucks and they drove like trucks. That caused me to abandon them until I bought a 2000 CRV. They were much better but I quickly went back to the Accord. I'm on my second Crosstour (2015) and love it to death. When my lease is up in November, I may purchase the Crosstour. However, the new Accord is a contender for me. The salesman that I deal with says that next month he may have an opportunity for me to drive an Accord Sport with the K20 turbo 2.0l motor and a 6-speed manual (they want more than $4K for the manual option).
Damn! I haven't heard people talk about the Typhoon in ages. I was young when they came out in '91 but remember seeing one around town when I was a bit older. I'd say mid-late 90's. Back in the day a 5.7 0-60 time was damn good.

As for the new Accord.. $4k is a big jump just to get the manual transmission. Does it add anything extra? Option wise?

Edit: Just checked the Honda website and it's $4,530 for the upgrade to the 6-speed manual with the 2.0T engine. It's the same price to get the automatic with the 2.0T engine. That's coming from the 1.5T engine.

So do you think it's worth it to go from the 1.5 turbo engine to the 2.0 turbo engine for $4,530?

1.5T - 192 hp/192tq
2.0T - 252 hp/273tq

Looking at the numbers I can see it's a good jump in hp/tq. 60hp/81tq - I know we would have to drive both to see the differences in person but that's quite the jump in my opinion.
Old 03-14-2018, 04:12 AM

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by The King
I'm in rural Nova Scotia and on a dirt road to boot. There are many times my Tacoma plow truck has to wait for bigger gear to come to the rescue. I agree though, 95% of the time a good front drive car with four good snow tires is all you need. Unfortunately it looks like the Toyota will be getting another workout tonight-tomorrow. Yeah.
sounds like you are part of the 5% justified purchase category. I am in the city of Toronto and in the nice to have category. What did we do years ago with all season tires and 2 wheel drive.
Old 03-14-2018, 04:58 AM

Received 1,133 Likes on 996 Posts

Using "CR-V" and "SUV" in the same sentence (or even same article) should be grammatically impossible. What truck are they based on again? Where's the frame? Can they tow 9000 pounds?

-- Chuck
Old 03-14-2018, 05:34 AM

Received 4,958 Likes on 3,005 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
Using "CR-V" and "SUV" in the same sentence (or even same article) should be grammatically impossible. What truck are they based on again? Where's the frame? Can they tow 9000 pounds?

-- Chuck
For starters, I guess you better tell these folks. https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/...crossover-suvs
Old 03-14-2018, 06:01 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

It is also kind of ugly.

The Civic seems to be a great car but it took a long time for me to warm to the looks. I don't like the styling of the Accord at all.
Old 03-14-2018, 09:13 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S

-- Chuck
90% of SUVs sold are just used as jacked-up station wagons.
Old 03-14-2018, 09:20 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Legal Bill
90% of SUVs sold are just used as jacked-up station wagons.
Yes someone else has said it! Thanks Legal Bill thought I was the only one feeling this way? 5 door hatch is a station wagon right?

Quick Reply: New Accord not selling well