S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

The new garage floor thread

Old 08-17-2017, 05:19 PM

Received 1,551 Likes on 920 Posts

I wound up installing a very high quality indoor/outdoor carpet that was being removed from a law office. (My builder told me about it)
I did not use adhesive, just put it down. It has been in my garage for almost 20 years now.

I love it. Keeps the house very clean, it is easy to work on stuff including cars as the floor is already "soft". Easy to clean actually, just vacuum. Does a great job of sound deadening. Easy on bare feet. We don't have salt on the roads in California so I cannot address that. I keep a metal drip pan under the S just for fun really; none of my cars leak anything. You can see some compression from the tires rolling in and out over the years.

Would do it again.
Attached Thumbnails The new garage floor thread-img_0613.jpg  
Old 08-21-2017, 11:40 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Thaks for all the posts. I think I'll have to go with epoxy or some kind of paint. the idea of water getting through is not good for me. I get water in my garage when we get a winter rain and the ground is frozen the the driveway is surrounded by snow banks. It is no big deal, but I have to push it out with a broom. Otherwise I have a puddle in the entrance of my garage. Thus, I know that 1/8 of an inch of water will stay in my garage unless I get rid of it. Sounds like it would get trapped under the floor tiles (or carpet) to mildew and smell bad.
Old 08-21-2017, 04:43 PM

Received 4,914 Likes on 2,980 Posts

Garage drain stories... I have center drains in both of my garages. The house garage drain worked great, till I got carried away. I thought it would neat to run a hose from my laundry tub in the basement out into the garage to wash my cars in the winter. And it worked for a while until the outside tile drain that ran down to the road filled up at street level and the entire drain system froze up and broke up outside. Lesson learned. In the other garage I put in a center drain with plastic plumbing, and a short direct runout. I didn't plan to wash cars in the winter but I thought it would be good for washing down the garage floor when needed. Just one problem, the guy who did the cement work did not build in the minimal slop need and the drain ended up being the high spot on the garage floor. Dah.
Old 08-22-2017, 08:42 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have already posted about mine (both Race Deck and Armstrong Industrial tiles) in the other thread. If anyone is interested I can tell you about the positives and negatives about both.
Old 09-09-2017, 11:55 PM

Received 2,944 Likes on 1,638 Posts

I signed a contract today for new garage floors at my recently purchased Loveland, Colorado house. I have been very happy with the floor covering I had installed in Lake Forest, California over 9 years ago. This time it's similar materials but with GarageExperts.com. The total between the three car garage attached to the house and the separate garage is 1,394 sq. ft. I went with a smaller flake in the sprinkle than my other house to make the floor less slippery. I'm excited.
Old 09-10-2017, 12:31 PM

Received 151 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Scooterboy
I sealed mine with a penatrating sealer. I am very leery of any kind of coating like epoxy. If the us concrete is not properly prepared the coating will come off and create a big problem in trying to fix it.
The penatrating sealed resists salts and oils plus cuts out dusting of the concrete but does little to alter the surface.
Which sealer did you use...

If its good enough for Scooter... its good enough for me!

I'll treat you and Patty to dinner this Weds night, if you come down before hand, and move everything out of the garage, and apply the sealant!
Old 09-10-2017, 12:32 PM

Received 2,495 Likes on 1,506 Posts

I'll get you the info shortly.
Old 09-11-2017, 03:44 AM

Received 1,396 Likes on 760 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyras
I signed a contract today for new garage floors at my recently purchased Loveland, Colorado house. I have been very happy with the floor covering I had installed in Lake Forest, California over 9 years ago. This time it's similar materials but with GarageExperts.com. The total between the three car garage attached to the house and the separate garage is 1,394 sq. ft. I went with a smaller flake in the sprinkle than my other house to make the floor less slippery. I'm excited.
Of course we're going to need to see pictures! Glad to hear you're loving your new house so far.
Old 09-11-2017, 03:50 AM

Received 2,575 Likes on 1,561 Posts

Have you moved in?
Old 09-28-2017, 06:19 PM

Received 2,944 Likes on 1,638 Posts

The garage floors are started. The cement was grinded and coated and sprinkled. Tomorrow the floors will be sanded after the excess sprinkles are cleaned up and then get a top coat. Yay!

Last edited by Kyras; 09-28-2017 at 06:26 PM.

Quick Reply: The new garage floor thread