S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

New phone

Old 03-23-2010, 04:49 PM

Received 4,930 Likes on 2,990 Posts
Default New phone

Monday I replaced two Radio Shack Virgin Mobile phones with two new ones. The new phones are ½ as thick and eliminate a projecting antenna. The best part, they were only $10 each and have all basic bells and stuff (80 pgs of stuff) and are as small as any I've seen - as I hate carrying stuff.

After buying the phones, I’m told I have to buy $10 talk time for each phone. I pointed out I have a large credit of over $100 air time on each of my existing phones but I am told that does not matter. My total cost is now $40.

Today after reading the instructions, I next learn my two existing Virgin Mobile automobile charges will not work with the new phones! I made it vividly clear at the time of the purchase I was replacing the phones only due to the low cost to covert to a more compact design. Both existing phones worked just fine. Wouldn’t you agree, this is something the salesman should have pointed out?

I learn from the local store (bought these out of town) the new chargers are $25 each plus tips are $5 each. My total cost is now suddenly up to $100!!

And I’m told I did NOT have to purchased the added time but there’s no way to be refunded my money.

Waiting to at least vent with Radio Shack Corp, where I left a message.

If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:35 PM

Received 2,744 Likes on 1,619 Posts

Don't you love moving to the next stage of technology? It gets expensive.

Did you buy the car phone chargers? If so, you may be able to bring them back. Phone chargers can often be purchased at a K-Mart/Wal-Mart, Amazon, much cheaper than with the vendor. The packaging will tell you which phones they are compatible with, most come with more than one "tip". I never buy accessories from the vendor.

There is actually something in the works to make these chargers universal as most of us have a drawer full of them.

When I want a new phone, I agree to a new contract, let them know I want a credit for any activation fee, and that is agreed to. Then I buy accessories elsewhere.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:44 PM

Received 3,500 Likes on 2,367 Posts

I'm torn about a new phone.
I would love to get a good phone but without the camera option.
Many of the areas I have to work in do not allow camera phones.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:37 PM

Lainey, I did not buy any accessories yet. Just learning the hard way. It's more the principal than the money.

I already had two years of unused stored time; I'm only out the $20 for the time I didn't need to buy. I am not a big cell phone talker! I may have to start to use it more.

I don't follow phone technology changes so I had no idea that Big Brother apparently made older chargers obsolete. If the intent was to eliminate all the chargers that have no value everytime you buy a new product, it's ok in principal with me. I have a 25 pound bucket full of chargers that are of no use to me; looks like I have two more to add.

I just had no idea, that chargers by the same manufacturer wouldn't work. I could scrap the new phones and return to the old ones but I already spent hours loading new contacts and deleting contacts out of the old phone before I realized the situation.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:48 PM

PS - I can hear you 'fancy' phone users (ipods, iphones, etc.) laughing in the background at my $10 specials. However, I did hear a not-so-funny story and saw the busted up phone so I know it's true. The kid was watching Mich State play in March madness and when they won with a buzzer beater he threw his hands up forgetting he had his $150 goggle phone and it smashed into the ceiling.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:09 PM

Received 2,966 Likes on 1,651 Posts

Originally Posted by boltonblue,Mar 23 2010, 07:44 PM
I'm torn about a new phone.
I would love to get a good phone but without the camera option.
Many of the areas I have to work in do not allow camera phones.
^
Good luck finding a phone without a camera, seriously. I get the freebie replacement when I can upgrade at the end of my AT&T contract and it has a camera. I don't use it but it's there.
Old 03-24-2010, 03:19 AM

Received 2,584 Likes on 1,565 Posts

^ Right...I don't think there is a phone without a camera. I tried to find a basic phone without any bells and whistles. Not out there.
Old 03-24-2010, 03:45 AM

Rick had the Trac phone. Like Dave, he seldom uses it. It's an older style with no camera. As others mentioned, it's difficult to get a "Plain Jane" phone.

Dave, I hear you. Every time I've upgraded, I've needed new chargers as well, even with the same brand of phone. And yes, they should mention that, but they are in the business of selling "stuff" so they won't.

If it makes you feel better, you can donate your old phone. There are organizations who accept them give them to battered women, I believe, the phones are programmed to dial emergency numbers only. I think.....someone had a link at one point.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by hecash,Mar 24 2010, 10:03 AM
I need that. I've got three Windows pocket pc phones that I could donate. I can just reflash the ROM to get rid of all of my personal information in Outlook and give up a clean phone.
Here's one link: Donate cell phones

There may be organizations in your area.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:15 AM

My Radio Shack TNT phone is a basic phone; no camera. They offer internet browsing if you want to pay a small monthly fee, which I don't. It's just slightly larger than an old zippo lighter. I'm really pleased with the phone itself.

Corp Shack called me today. Offered me $20 gift cert for the time and offered to give me a deal on a charger/tips... she didn't elaborate, said she'd call me back once she was sure the local store had them in stock. Good cust serv.

I had planned to send my old phones back in the prepaid bag to recycle them, but Lainey I like you idea better if you can provide a link.

Quick Reply: New phone