S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Vintage Owners (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-vintage-owners-117/)
-   -   NFL (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-vintage-owners-117/nfl-1178949/)

dlq04 10-26-2017 03:46 PM

NFL

I was reminded today of a time when I watched a lot of NFL games. Anyone else recall this incident?

"The Oakland Raiders were pummeling the Houston Oilers 34-0 at the Astrodome on Monday Night Football in 1972 when cameras panning the crowd found an unhappy Oilers fan who offered a middle-fingered hello. Color analyst Don Meredith delivered a colorful riposte: He thinks his team “is No. 1.”

I really did enjoy the Howard & Don & Frank Gifford show.

Lovetodrive2000 10-26-2017 07:45 PM

Wish today's NFL was as funny....

Haven't watched a game in weeks, due to the overpaid idiots taking a knee..

Move this to politics! :)

dlq04 10-26-2017 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by Lovetodrive2000 (Post 24374588)
Wish today's NFL was as funny....

Maybe we are just getting old, but between the never ending ads, the politics, the over-paid under achievers, and the 'I'm the greatest celebrations', plus the lack of fun in the booth talking about it.... its a different time. I watch two teams when I can and that's it.

Zippy 10-27-2017 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by dlq04 (Post 24374612)
Maybe we are just getting old,

D@mn hippies, oops wrong decade. :) Hipsters, it's the hipsters ruining everything. And the generation gap rears its ugly head again.....;)

tof 10-27-2017 08:23 AM

Get off my lawn! This is a neighborhood...slow down!!!

You guys sound too old to be driving sports cars. Sure, there are parts of the game I miss...characters in the announcer's booth, pace of play, etc. But there is plenty to like about the game today. Athletes today exhibit skills and ability that players of yesteryear couldn't even dream of. And many, possibly most of todays players are more involved with their communities than in the "good old days." For true football nerds, today's broadcast technology has revolutionized watching the game. And analysts like Chris Collinsworth and Tony Romo provide great explanations of what's going on in the game. I learn something new about how the game is played tactically at various positions and strategically overall every time I watch a game with either of those guys in the booth. Fantasy is a ball and is enjoyed by millions. NFL Red Zone provides tons of action when I'm not watching a Saints game.

Sure, the game is flawed, as it has always been. Sometimes we look back nostalgically and remember only the best from the past, forgetting what was not so great. So, yes, the NFL has changed. Like pretty much everything else. And it probably won''t even be recognizable in a few decades. So I enjoy it now for what it is.

dlq04 10-27-2017 12:03 PM

Gee Mike I wish I had known watching football keeps you young! Oh well, I will stick with sports cars. But, since you've sold both of yours, perhaps you're aging faster than you thought. :)

NNY S2k 10-27-2017 01:02 PM

I agree with everything Mike said except I watch the Red Zone when the Bills aren't on.
Levi

dwb993 10-27-2017 03:29 PM

I understand that particular incident was the catalyst for the 7 second delay during live sports broadcasts.

S2KRAY 10-27-2017 04:42 PM

I'll take the good old days over today's NFL. There were no ridiculous rituals in the end zone after making a routine play you are getting paid millions to make. If I want to see a show I will go to a real real show. No in your face thugs trying to intimidate the opposing team. Everyone stood for the National Anthem. And the team I followed was very active with the community. I only watch my hometown team now but not until after the Anthem is played.

windhund116 10-27-2017 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by dlq04 (Post 24374505)
Color analyst Don Meredith delivered a colorful riposte: He thinks his team “is No. 1.”

I really did enjoy the Howard & Don & Frank Gifford show.

I remember a sideline shot of Drew Pearson (receiver of Dallas) barfing up a lot of Gatorade. Dandy Don said: "Well, you don't see that everyday." :LOL: