S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Nine years and counting

Old 01-31-2010, 06:07 AM

Received 4,947 Likes on 3,001 Posts
Post Nine years and counting

Nine Years and Counting

I'm still looking for the fountain of youth, but haven't found it yet. Sports cars have been a huge part of my life ever since my Air Force day’s in the early 1960's. They have helped keep me young - at least in spirit. Over the years, I've had many wonderful related experiences! I truly smile when I reflect on them, both past and present! Today marks the start of my tenth year of S2000 ownership.

I love my Honda S2000 because it's a car that was designed from the ground up for pure driving enjoyment. It is a wonderful example of excitement combining with reliability. Honda may never carry the prestige of small specialty firms like Ferrari, Porsche, or Lotus but as many have discovered the S2000 can do almost anything those marques can and in some cases better.

The heart of the car, the VTEC four-cylinder engine, with it’s 9000-rpm redline is intoxicating. The F20C engine developed 120 HP per liter. It held the record for the highest specific output for a naturally aspirated production piston engine for ten years. It wasn’t until Ferrari unveiled the 458 Italia with 125 HP per liter at the 2009 Frankfort Motor Show that a new record was set. I feel fortunate to own one of the early higher revving engines. For those wishing a bit more torque there’s the latter. The short-throw 6-speed makes for a stirring driving experience. Styling after all these years still looks fresh.

The 0-60 mph times matched my ‘63 Corvette; a car I considered a straight-line rocket at time. I vividly recall test-driving a used S2000. I stood on the throttle. It shot away like a missile. My heart sang wildly as I redlined each gear, sending it easily past 100 mph. In fact, I didn’t even realize it until my wife said in that special voice she sometimes uses “I think 120 in someone else’s car is enough!” I couldn’t sleep that night. I ordered a new S2000 the next day. This combined with the overall handling package make for a wonderful driving experience.

Because of this car I have developed an appreciation of Honda’s history, F1 efforts, and achievements.

In many parts of the country the S2000 is still a very rare car –– a fact that I personally enjoy. US total sales at the end of 2009 were just shy of 66,500. That represented approximately 60% of worldwide sales, which topped 112,000. With production ended it will remain an important part of Honda’s history.

I don’t claim to be a purist but I still think of the car as stock since I have not touched the engine except for a K&N air cleaner. However, I surprised myself as I listed my mods which include the UK alignment, brake speed bleeders, driver’s door panel mod, center console mod, driver’s seat raised and pump up lumbar added, exhaust resonator removed, black front/side grill inserts with chrome Honda emblem, Elda roll bar, black walnut shift knob, clear side marker lights, top raise/lower mod and lighted S2000 windscreen.

My nine full years of ownership is official on January 31, 2010. I feel fortunate. With only 42 thousand miles and mint condition, I suspect it will be in my stable for a long, long time.

I thoroughly enjoy exchanging information and experiences with the S2000 community through S2KI and S2KCA, especially the Vintage Forum. It’s all been a fun ride so far.

Dave

Old 01-31-2010, 06:31 AM

Received 171 Likes on 85 Posts

^^^ This is the reason why I enjoy visiting this forum. Thanks for sharing Dave.
Old 01-31-2010, 07:16 AM

Received 2,596 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Nice writeup, Dave. Congratulations!
Old 01-31-2010, 07:22 AM

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

I'll have mine 7 years in July. Currently has 35K on it.
Old 01-31-2010, 07:25 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Stiletto turns 8 years old today. Congrats to you as well.
Old 01-31-2010, 07:53 AM
Former Moderator

Received 610 Likes on 373 Posts

Great post, Dave! As we all know you have been one of the mainstay Vintage posters about the car through the years; and I have been very fortunate to know you. I have profited greatly from your posts.

My own ownership started in early 2000 with a Berlina AP1. A wonderful car that I drove for almost 8 years. I would still have it in my garage if I hadn't been T-boned by a wayward teenage driver one afternoon. The car was repaired and I kept it for several years, but I wasn't sure about continuing with it on the track, so I let it go in trade for an AP2 in 07. (Turns out it was fine -- and is still being tracked successfully by the next owner.) I did not modify the AP1 - except for a Voodoo shift knob, etc, but I have modified the AP2 extensively, as I got more serious about enjoying the track. I installed some KW V3 coilovers, a T1R single exhaust, Berk FF Cat, cryo-ed rotors with racing pads, brake cooling ducts, CR sway bars, extra bracing above and below, CR lip and rear wing, KraftWerks Rotrex supercharger, dual core radiator, catchcan, extra oil cooling, gauges, and an Elda roll bar. And I added a removable Chase racing hitch for trailering R-compounds to the track.The car was absolutely fine when it was NA, but once I started modifying, I had to follow through. One mod suggests another. And I have had great fun doing it in my own garage, (well sometimes with a little help from my friends). I love tinkering with the car, and have learned enormously about the car by reading, wrenching, changing fluids, adjusting, shopping for aftermarket parts I wanted, discussing specifics with our local mechanic, etc. As is, the car is a great interstate cruiser -- and I enjoy driving it close to the limit on the track.

In retrospect I would do it all again. The car has helped me replace athletic activities that I can no longer do -- and keeps me from going mad!
Old 01-31-2010, 08:21 AM

Received 322 Likes on 273 Posts

Mine will be 8 in March.
As others have said, great write up.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

9 years old in May. I couldn't get a GPW without the red interior, so I went with a Spa. No regrets there. I'm at 36K miles, do all my own or, and enjoy it as much now as I did way back then. I'm glad I made the move, because I would never have known the collateral pleasures that came along with that purchase.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:22 AM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

A great thread, Dave, and you know that I concur in 99% of your comments*

I took delivery of my original AP1 Silverstone '00 in mid-December 1999....so I am already over the **10** year anniversary. Bought for speculation by a "friend of a dealer", mine had 65 miles on the when I bought it.....for MSRP. Found it from a tiny adv in the Philly Inquirer. Unlike you, I didn't have a long history with sports cars....and was trading up from a '97 Acura CL 2.3/ 6spd coupe. My only test drive was a few local miles in a dealer's "trophy wife" car. I had no idea what VTEC was.....until a sometime in the next year with Rick Hesel and a bunch of other nut cases
This first S served me well as a daily driver....logging about 66k miles in 66 months. The simplicity of the S2000 in all ways (except for the engine ) suited me to a tee....no fancy gee-gaws and power this & that.

In mid 2006, I was getting the itch for a change. Again, the Phila Inq came to the rescue with a tiny adv for a 2003 S2000 in GPW/ tan....only about 12k on the I sold my Silverstone to a good friend (who still owns it withabout 115k and a new top w/glass window ) and bought the '03 AP1 Unfortunately, I've had two accidents (2006 and 2009) but it's restored to original specs. I'm not driving it as much now, but did enjoy a 6k miles roadtrip to/from SW Montana in May 2008. With about 55k on the odometer over 3.5 years of ownership, I expect to own it for at least a few more years...we'll see. It's pretty stock except for clear side markers, Rick's red S-badge @ rear, MUZ anodized ctr-snk shift knob and an AP2 front bumper; new-to-me Supersprint exhaust, sway brace and stuts due to install in a few months...bequeathed to me by Tom717. Oh, I forgot that the boo-boos gave me the opp'y to shave the side and front S2000 emblems

In addition to the fun car itself, the S2000 has provided me with a world-wide community of S friends...highly valued. Besides all of the friends that I've met in person in the US (from CA to WY to ME to FL), I've enjoyed meeting S owners in Spain, Switzerland and New Zealand (my only time in a RH driver ).

It's a great group and I'm glad it's surviving...even as the marque has ceased production.

*1% missing is your selection of the wrong color in 2001
Old 01-31-2010, 09:30 AM

Received 2,763 Likes on 1,624 Posts

Thanks for the post, Dave.

Glad we met you here!

Quick Reply: Nine years and counting