S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

No good deed ever goes unpunished.

Old 10-31-2003, 10:13 PM

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,107 Posts
Default No good deed ever goes unpunished.

There is an old saying, "No good deed ever goes unpunished." What good deed have you done that you wound up paying for?
Old 11-01-2003, 07:54 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Raising my 18 year old son. Talk about a thankless job.
Old 11-01-2003, 08:06 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally posted by OhioRacer
Raising my 18 year old son. Talk about a thankless job.
Ain't that the truth!
When my boy was 17, he knew it all. I knew nothing. The muttonhead and I didn't have much to do with each other for almost 15 years. He's back in my life now, trying to make amends. He has 3 kids of his own, with one more on the way. Talk about justice! I guess I wasn't so stupid after all. I never looked for thanks but his look and his tone that says, "Boy, was I an idiot and you were right", brings a certain satisfaction.

I gave to some charities that used to call about once a year. After I gave, they'd hound me every few months to give more. Do a good deed just to have them invade your privacy more often? I don't give to them anymore. My wife gives in many ways at her church on behalf of both of us. I support her from time to time. That's as far as I'm willing to go. I fear being punished again.
Old 11-02-2003, 05:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lent my step son money and didn't tell his Mom. Haven't seen him since. *Not a bad thing.*
Like they say, "I'd rather owe it to you than beat you out of it."
This kid wants to beat me out of it. Little does he know, I knew I would benefit either way.
Old 11-02-2003, 05:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Carmen,

I finally found the quote from Mark Twain that I was looking for. Keep in mind that people typically started families and adult responsibilities earlier 100 years ago than they do today.

"When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished by how much he'd learned in seven years."
Old 11-02-2003, 06:08 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RedY2KS2k
Carmen,
Old 11-02-2003, 08:34 AM

We built an in-law apartment, they came (80 & 86) . They follow us around saying shouldn't you do this or that. No more fresh veggies, canned mush - low fat diet has turned to 100 grams of fat a day.

Bought the S2000 & father inlaw said, but it only has two seats. We both smiled & said yes, we know
Old 11-02-2003, 11:13 AM

Received 2,966 Likes on 1,651 Posts

My husband is an electrical contractor with his own business. For the past 11 years he has given our small school district free electrical service and parts, amounting to a few thousand dollars a year. He gave them 100 computers. When he saw the needs at our daughter's local high school he went to work. The temporary gym had no heat (or A/C) so he personally rented, installed and refuelled some temporary heaters over last winter. The kids and teachers were thrilled. Then when the gym got shut down this Spring because it was discovered that there was never a permit issued for occuapncy, the school board told the community and local paper that it was due to an overzealous parent volunteer. It had nothing to do with the heaters but they used it as an excuse so the community wouldn't know the truth. When my husband explained the truth in a school board meeting they basically called him a liar and they almost had him thrown out. He quit helping out our school district and when it came time for our son to go to high school, we put him in a private high school instead.
Old 11-02-2003, 11:14 AM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally posted by tommyra
We built an in-law apartment, they came (80 & 86) . .......
THIS was the problem...although it sounded good at the time to you.

About 10 years ago, my Mother-in-Law moved 100 miles from Harrisburg to suburban Philly. It's about 10 miles west of our home...about half way to her other daughter farther west. She has a 1 BR apt in a smaller CCRC built on the grounds of a Main Line estate. She just turned 90 but looks like 75...has her own social life, van transit, 2 meals/day, adult ed programs, etc. We just got together for Sunday dinner and she came back to our house to visit. She'll go home in a couple of hours and both parties will be content
Old 11-02-2003, 11:20 AM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

An architect in the Philly suburbs donated design services for an addition to his Catholic parish hall. Several years later a fault in the roof was discovered...not a design fault but a construction quality problem. It cost hundreds of thousands of dollars to correct.

Nevertheless, the church's attorney advised that a suit should be brought involving all parties. The architect never charged a dime for his services, but put his professional seal on the drawings. The architect had no errors & omissions insurance; went broke satisfying his legal fees and share of damages. He closed his business

Quick Reply: No good deed ever goes unpunished.