S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

No good deed ever goes unpunished.

Old 11-02-2003, 03:22 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by paS2K
An architect in the Philly suburbs donated design services for an addition to his Catholic parish hall. Several years later a fault in the roof was discovered...not a design fault but a construction quality problem. It cost hundreds of thousands of dollars to correct.

Nevertheless, the church's attorney advised that a suit should be brought involving all parties. The architect never charged a dime for his services, but put his professional seal on the drawings. The architect had no errors & omissions insurance; went broke satisfying his legal fees and share of damages. He closed his business
Wow, that is bad. I'm surprised the pastor let that happen. Makes me ashamed to be Catholic.
Old 11-02-2003, 04:03 PM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts

At work I oftentimes find myself offering to help my colleagues when they are overwhelmed with work, have fallen behind on their work or have a task that is giving them trouble. My reward for this usually is that the next time this work appears it becomes my job to do. I have also found that the reward for good work is more work.
Old 11-03-2003, 06:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sort of the same thread.
Erosion control plants (weeds) were required to build the home I currently live in. A few years down the road, the fire dept. required that the (weeds) be cut to 1" for fire control or the city would have a contractor come out and cut the weeds. I lamented that the erosion control was required by the city at the time of construction and that they should maintain the erosion vegetation (weeds). The city wanted to get paid on both sides. They sent somebody out and cut the weeds to their specs and billed me on my tax bill for $100 for the job. The following year the bill went up to $35/hour which resulted in a $200 additional tax (breaks, lunch, holding up tools Etc). The year following that I again recieved notice to cut or be billed. I called and complained that they can go ahead and cut them but if my hill fails, they (the city) and their contractor would be responsible for the failure because their contractor was the last person on the site. I never heard from them again and recieved no more notices or bills.

Along the same lines, most roofing contractors won't get up on your roof to do an inspection because if they do walk on the roof and problems arise, they were the last contractor on the roof and have been sued for replacement or repair. Never walk on your roof! If someone does, make sure it's a roofing contractor. Around these parts, they will just put a ladder up and do a visual for inspection purposes. And you guessed it, it's always (poor condition). A contractor did this with my roof about 10 years ago. To this day it doesn't leak or give me problems despite being 25 year old shake. I don't walk on my roof.
Old 11-03-2003, 07:19 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ralper
At work I oftentimes find myself offering to help my colleagues when they are overwhelmed with work, have fallen behind on their work or have a task that is giving them trouble.
Old 11-03-2003, 07:33 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jrfblueeyes
Lent my step son money and didn't tell his Mom.
Old 11-03-2003, 02:12 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by xviper
Old 11-03-2003, 04:28 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Spryguy