S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Odds and Ends Vintage Photos X

Old 03-07-2019, 06:09 AM
tof

Received 1,914 Likes on 1,306 Posts

Can anyone explain the technical difference between RAW and uncompressed jpeg? How dependent is RAW output on the hardware, given a certain resolution?
Old 03-07-2019, 06:13 AM

Received 2,746 Likes on 1,620 Posts

Originally Posted by tof
Can anyone explain the technical difference between RAW and uncompressed jpeg? How dependent is RAW output on the hardware, given a certain resolution?
I can't!
Old 03-07-2019, 07:18 AM

Received 2,510 Likes on 1,513 Posts

Originally Posted by tof
I found this to be a good, simple explanation.

RAW file is basically an image preserves most of the information from camera, such as sharpness and contrast, without processing and compressing. However, RAW format need to be converted to JPEG and other image formats which are more convenient for printing and sharing.

JPEG file is a commonly-used image file format, which will be processed and compressed by the capture device according to the settings made by the user before archiving. It is a very popular image format, and can be easily opened in most computers. The users can freely set the compression level to preserve the quality for their JPEG files - easy to use and convenient!

RAW saves much more information that can be used or manipulated later to enhance the picture. JPEG process the information per the settings you have in the camera then compresses the data, which is lost if you want to further process the image.

I shoot and save in both JEPG and RAW.
Old 03-07-2019, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by Scooterboy
I found this to be a good, simple explanation.

RAW file is basically an image preserves most of the information from camera, such as sharpness and contrast, without processing and compressing. However, RAW format need to be converted to JPEG and other image formats which are more convenient for printing and sharing.

JPEG file is a commonly-used image file format, which will be processed and compressed by the capture device according to the settings made by the user before archiving. It is a very popular image format, and can be easily opened in most computers. The users can freely set the compression level to preserve the quality for their JPEG files - easy to use and convenient!

RAW saves much more information that can be used or manipulated later to enhance the picture. JPEG process the information per the settings you have in the camera then compresses the data, which is lost if you want to further process the image.

I shoot and save in both JEPG and RAW.
Which settings? Are you talking in camera settings, memory card settings? I'm sooooo confused.

Old 03-07-2019, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Lainey
Which settings? Are you talking in camera settings, memory card settings? I'm sooooo confused.
The setting in the camera. When the camera processes the image into a JPEG much of the data is lost in compression.

The RAW data contains all of the data that the sensor sees. In JPEG what is saved is the processed image as set by the camera.
Old 03-07-2019, 11:58 AM

Scoot/Dave, how often to you mess with the RAW files? Have you had things printed where you have more editing options starting from the RAW file? My bigger file, more ability to crop is not a thing....so not sure how far into RAW I will go. I'm not sure it's worth it unless I get a better skills for processing. I may play around a bit with it, since I'll have more time, but I wont't let it take the fun out of my hobby. My "fans" think my photos are just fine. Of course they aren't comparing it to a professional photo......I do keep in mind that composition is key.
Old 03-07-2019, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Lainey
Scoot/Dave, how often to you mess with the RAW files? Have you had things printed where you have more editing options starting from the RAW file? My bigger file, more ability to crop is not a thing....so not sure how far into RAW I will go. I'm not sure it's worth it unless I get a better skills for processing. I may play around a bit with it, since I'll have more time, but I wont't let it take the fun out of my hobby. My "fans" think my photos are just fine. Of course they aren't comparing it to a professional photo......I do keep in mind that composition is key.
I have done some work with RAW but not a whole lot. It was fun and I liked the way it came out but I was very new to editing and was just playing. I shoot and save both but my computer has 2TB of storage so there is plenty of room. I have used the RAW files to product larger JPEG and TIFF files. I say shoot some and play. You may like it, you my not. Nothing lost but a little time and a few disturbed electrons.
Old 03-07-2019, 02:53 PM

Received 784 Likes on 434 Posts

Lainey-

Do this: Start with a simple picture in/around/outside the house. Shoot in Raw + JPG. Open the RAW file and play around. I use Photoshop, and get way more things to manipulate than with a JPG - I avoid the overwhelming amount of things I could do and focus on the ones I want/need to do. The first one is exposure- I can change that during processing or white balance or other key characteristics of the photo. Compare some of the changes you can make to the JPG you also took. Get a feel for yourself if it comes in handy. Also, the RAW file should never get touched, your software should keep the original file (.CRW for Canon?), and add another file (its .xmp for PS) that has the changes to it. By deleting the xmp file, the app opens a new copy of the raw file next time. So you don't have to copy/backup every time you want to try something. I'm jumping all over, but there's also probably a patch/plugin for your app to read the RAW files. I have to update PS every year or so when new cameras come out. Otherwise your RAW file won't ever load. That's probably more true with Paint Shop Pro than Canon's own tool. BTW: don't be surprised if out of the file directly, the JPG and RAW file look different! You'll learn what things you need to do to get the effect/look you want.

As for a RAW file, it's effectively the data the camera sees, without the in-camera processor giving you what it thinks you want. The JPG is the output of your camera into an image. Remember that your camera wants to give you a file to use. You can control the camera settings - Fx, Exposure, Metering, Focus, etc... or you can put it on Auto. The more you manage, the more the "image capture" is what you want. Processing the RAW file gives you more control over the final outcome.

Don't worry about MB or MP. MB is just the amount of disk you'll need to store them. MP is the camera's resolution of sorts. You can print big things with as little as 6 or 8 MP. Higher MP lets you crop closer or get more detail in your picture (but still really relevant when you zoom in or crop a very tight shot). The JPG is smaller because of the compression in the JPG format. JPG files also recalculate the image when you save them. so if you change /save, change/save, eventually the compression could be noticeable (I've personally never seen it and don't know how many times you'd have to touch the image for it to be noticed.)

You can also adjust the size of the JPG. I shoot RAW + Small JPG just so I have something to look at quickly when flipping through on my PC. RAW file is around 26 MB, JPG is about 3 MB. I could change that to get a larger JPG at 6 or 12 MB each, but I don't need it. When I save a RAW file back to JPG to post or print, it can vary from 5 to 10 MB.

As for how often - I rarely publish anything without at least touching it in PS. Exposure/ WB or color levels being most common.
Old 03-07-2019, 04:25 PM

Thanks, Guys!
Old 03-12-2019, 10:23 AM

Received 2,966 Likes on 1,651 Posts

Wide load for Lainey. I got to drive my hottie yesterday.

Quick Reply: Odds and Ends Vintage Photos X