S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Odds and Ends Vintage Photos X

Old 01-05-2018, 01:22 PM

Received 2,734 Likes on 1,613 Posts

Originally Posted by tof
If you photoshop it, is it still art?
Depends who you ask!
Old 01-06-2018, 12:06 PM

Took a few winter themed photos...it's all my area has to offer right now.

Historic cotton mill in the snow

No one watching the ocean today.

Danger!

Iced in

Damn it's cold!

Trying to keep warm
Old 01-06-2018, 06:52 PM
tof

Received 1,909 Likes on 1,303 Posts

Originally Posted by tof
If you photoshop it, is it still art?
And by that I mean change the content. If you just use photoshop to do typical photo enhancement like filters, cropping, etc, that you can do with a thousand free photo apps, then I would say that you can still take credit for the shot and call it art. If you change the content you have to produce something really special that conveys a vision of the subject in order for it to qualify as art. But what do I know? I had one semester of art appreciation in High School.
Old 01-07-2018, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by tof
And by that I mean change the content. If you just use photoshop to do typical photo enhancement like filters, cropping, etc, that you can do with a thousand free photo apps, then I would say that you can still take credit for the shot and call it art. If you change the content you have to produce something really special that conveys a vision of the subject in order for it to qualify as art. But what do I know? I had one semester of art appreciation in High School.
That subject is debated often in photo forums. Is is still a photograph if you have totally changed the look of the shot by adding layers, different colors, inserted images. It's still an art form but can you claim your prowess as a photographer with manipulated photos?

I don't have to worry about that. My editing skills are most basic. I did make a couple trash cans disappear in a photo, cloned them into rocks with snow. That makes me happy.
Old 01-07-2018, 05:57 AM

Received 2,575 Likes on 1,561 Posts

Was going to the river to take some pics this am, but it's still too cold - windchill of 13 right now. Maybe tomorrow am before the warmup.
Old 01-07-2018, 07:14 AM

Received 4,917 Likes on 2,982 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey
That subject is debated often in photo forums. Is is still a photograph if you have totally changed the look of the shot by adding layers, different colors, inserted images. It's still an art form but can you claim your prowess as a photographer with manipulated photos?

I don't have to worry about that. My editing skills are most basic. I did make a couple trash cans disappear in a photo, cloned them into rocks with snow. That makes me happy.
In my mind there is no debate. Through out the ages artists worked with and used the tools that were available to them at the time. When it comes to oil painting, for example, they copied others work, they did tracings, they had others rough in background detail, they worked from photographs, etc. In other words, they did whatever they felt comfortable with to better their craft. The challenge is to arrive at the envisioned final product, no matter the route to get there.
Old 01-07-2018, 07:33 AM

Received 2,496 Likes on 1,507 Posts

Photographers have worked all kinds of magic in the darkroom for years. Now they sit in from of the computer and do the same thing.
Old 01-07-2018, 07:57 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04
In my mind there is no debate. Through out the ages artists worked with and used the tools that were available to them at the time. When it comes to oil painting, for example, they copied others work, they did tracings, they had others rough in background detail, they worked from photographs, etc. In other words, they did whatever they felt comfortable with to better their craft. The challenge is to arrive at the envisioned final product, no matter the route to get there.
Well said, Dave. Why accept mediocrity with art.
Old 01-07-2018, 08:47 AM

#1 Trash cans, partial picnic table, a sign...

Cropped a bit, better position of the building, removes picnic table and the clone tool gets rid of the little bit of the sign on the left and makes trash cans into snow covered rocks.
Re-sized for easier posting here. Learning light room maybe photoshop is on retirement bucket list.
Old 01-07-2018, 03:08 PM

Received 1,104 Likes on 700 Posts

Now where are people supposed to put their trash, if you go removing all the trash cans?

Quick Reply: Odds and Ends Vintage Photos X