S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Office Christmas/Holiday Party

Old 12-13-2006, 05:04 AM

Received 427 Likes on 311 Posts
Default Office Christmas/Holiday Party

We had our Division Christmas Party yesterday with gift exchange and I enjoyed it. It was held near water where you could see boats and the food was quite good. Afterwards, we did the gift thing which was actually fun. There wasn't any alcoholic beverage to drink which was good. Afterwards, people were dismissed so they could have the rest of the afternoon for shopping and such. What has been your experience? Do you care for them or should they just simply go away? If this has been discussed before, I apologize.
Old 12-13-2006, 05:22 AM

Received 2,744 Likes on 1,619 Posts

I work for a small place. For several years we had a holiday dinner at a nice restaurant before Christmas. It was hard to get everyone's schedules to work with the date selected, and there were employees who weren't interested in attending. People are busy and would often rather spend time with family this time of year. It got to the point that it just wasn't worth the trouble (mine trying to organize it) and expense, (the boss'). We haven't bothered for a few years and no one seems to have missed it.

Generally we get a day and a half off for the holiday and usually a bonus as well. That seems to suit everyone just fine.

Old 12-13-2006, 05:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My employer, a hospital, had their party last Friday at the Danvers Yatch Club. It is always a huge shindig with close to 1000 people in attendance. I missed this one, the first since I have worked there.
Today, our office is have their party and it is always set up with lots of good food and non alcholic drink. Another one I will miss. I always have fun at these parties as I am usually the "unofficial" photographer, as if some of you would have guessed. At least those who attended the Mohawk drive.

This time of year is for enjoying the company of others, and for having a good time.
Old 12-13-2006, 06:29 AM

Being as we're a Politically Correct University, we don't have "Christmas Parties". They're "Holiday Parties" for us. And there are lots.

The big bash, at the president's house (a residence/entertainment venue) was used as a pitch to give (via payroll deductions) to the United Way. The littler bashes also have their various agendas.

Ours, at a restaurant this year (at who knows what cost -- it's 50 people), has a blind gift exchange game limited to books, which will probably be amusing. To the extent that I have any say in the matter, agendas will be left at the door. Because it's off campus, I expect that various people will take advantage of the restaurant's bar to get a tad lubricated.

As one of the bosses, my approach is to make people feel comfortable and ignore bad behavior as much as I possibly can, to de-politicize the whole thing. But I'm sure that lots of folks worry about appearances and so on.

All-in-all, I'm somewhat ambivalent about these gatherings. HPH
Old 12-13-2006, 06:45 AM

Received 2,963 Likes on 1,649 Posts

My ex-to-be, owns his own electrical contracting business, and we used to have Christmas parties (even though he's Jewish) every year, at our house. There'd be around 60 people and some kids. We would get it catered, and get a tent and heaters, tables and chairs, and keep most of it outside. The guys always had a horseshoe game and someone would dress up in our Santa Claus suit and pass out something to the little kids. They were fun and everyone looked forward to them.

Then, ex-to-be, got burned out on his employees so we quit throwing them. He's always given them big bonus checks at Christmas but no more parties.

In 2000, he paid for them all to go on a 4 day weekend Carnival cruise to Ensenda, Mexico. That was lots of fun. Kind of like a Vintage meet.
Old 12-13-2006, 06:57 AM

Received 2,584 Likes on 1,565 Posts

We used to have pretty crazy parties years ago when booze was allowed in our building. One year, our Santa passed out under a table. My old boss used to require his employees to have a shot of Southern Comfort. After the booze was no longer allowed, they weren't quite as much fun. Now we do a potluck in the conference center downstairs and play some games, so it's not too bad. Ours is next week. The +1's company is going all out this year, with a dinner/dance at a hotel this Sat. Live band...should be very nice since the +1 and I love to dance!
Old 12-13-2006, 07:06 AM

Received 2,963 Likes on 1,649 Posts

Cool. Deb. Dancing party. Fun.
Old 12-13-2006, 09:25 AM

Having the party on the shipping dock of the DC. Office and DC personnel. Should be about 300 - 400 people. It will be decorated. Just to put it in perspective we have 25 shipping doors and the DC is just a tad over 600,000 sqft.
Old 12-13-2006, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by mns2k,Dec 13 2006, 12:25 PM
Having the party on the shipping dock of the DC. Office and DC personnel. Should be about 300 - 400 people. It will be decorated. Just to put it in perspective we have 25 shipping doors and the DC is just a tad over 600,000 sqft.
You had me going there for a minute, M. I thought you were IN DC. Did I miss what it really is?
Old 12-13-2006, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by grannyrod,Dec 13 2006, 12:30 PM
You had me going there for a minute, M. I thought you were IN DC. Did I miss what it really is?
Nope. DC as in Distribution Center. At least it will be in the 70's on Friday so we won't have to worry about heating.

Quick Reply: Office Christmas/Holiday Party