S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Office Christmas/Holiday Party

Old 12-13-2006, 11:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If at sea we generally do a big Christmas dinner with all the trimmings, I give the crew the day off (except for watchstanding) and I and whoever else has any galley skills (and feels like joining in) do the cooking and cleaning up so that the cooks and messmen can take it easy. (they usually work 12-14 hr days, 7 days a week)

I usually try to arrange the schedule with the chief scientist/charterer so that Chrismas falls on a transit day so that everyone can have a break from working/ doing science. I also give everyone a 20 minute phone call home (on satellite phone), and bill it to overhead

If we're in port, we're all generally as far from the ship as we can get

This year, I'm at home. My +1's office is having a beach campout this Fri-Sat at a state park. Their office gets an allotment of $80 per person from corporate HQ- so they had a vote to have a campout with the corporate money going towards campground fees, food, drink, boat rentals, etc. Looks like it's going to rain and I don't really enjoy camping, so I think it's a goofy idea, but majority ruled in this case. They mostly just wanted to do something other than have the usual "office party". It will be interesting to see what they vote on next year.
Old 12-13-2006, 11:14 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

we take the staff and their spouses (if they have one) to a 2-day SPA retreat.

we have a grand dinner the first night on the premises and meet in the lounge/bar for drinks and dancing afterwards....last year a few of us were up until 5am.

been doing it for the past 5 years at the same place....

work pays for everything, including $200 per person on spa treatments.

only thing people have to pay for would be treatments over the $200 limit or room service and stuff like that......

is it next thursday yet????????

mind you, in our industry, parties are VERY frequent, so this is just more different than more fun.....
Old 12-13-2006, 11:17 AM

I miss the work Holiday parties of years past.
Old 12-13-2006, 04:14 PM

Received 458 Likes on 270 Posts

I got into a discussion with a new co-worker today about office Christmas / Holiday parties. Ours is going to be at a Holiday Inn on Friday afternoon between 1- 5 PM, starting with a lunch buffet. Last year there were some
Old 12-13-2006, 05:41 PM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Party for our small (20pp) architecture company is next Thurs from 5-7 at the owner's new house in the 'horse country' of ex-urban Chester County. This company has not been hugely profitable in the last couple years, so I'm not expecting any bonus...how about a bottle of wine? Maybe I'll be surprised.

Since I've only been at this office since Jan 2006, I'm looking fwd to meeting some of the +1s and s/o's. Unfortunately, Kathy can't join me....since we leave for Europe less than 23 hours later

At my last large company (02-04), I was one of the senior folks who handed out $100 bills to everyone a few days before Christmas. With 140 people, that added up to some real cash There were also significant bonuses if it was a profitable year. That company always had a nice party at The Carpenters Company HQ in Philly, a historic building not far from Independence Hall. Many signers of the Declaration of Independence were members there.

When I had my own (profitable) company from 86-98, we gave out bonuses totalling over $50k/yr....and we had only 15 staff. Most folks got a bonus= 2 weeks salary. Several times we had a nice catered party at our house....the last year (97) we took everyone to Longwood Garden, which is a beautiful spot at any holiday.
Old 12-13-2006, 06:04 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I gave several $100 bills to my managers because the boss indicated that we didn't make "enough" profit one year and everyone's bonus would be reduced. ...... oh yeah 6 months later she sold her SB of $50M in annual revenue for $22M cash. She kept the money, stayed on for another 3 years as COO and then left.. again taking more money.... do you think she shared any of the $22+M? If she did, it wasn't with anyone who helped her manage the $50M business........
Old 12-13-2006, 07:21 PM

My group's "Holiday" party is tomorrow -- there's a multi-course luncheon and gift exchange. The company-wide party is Friday (until 1:30p), afterwhich, everyone can take the day off (with manager approval). I'll post a follow up if there's anything worth mentioning.
Old 12-14-2006, 03:23 AM
Former Moderator

Received 610 Likes on 373 Posts

Chris is having her Merrill Lynch office team of about 25 over for a party on the 15th. She is cooking for it herself (Kasseler Ripchen mit Sauerkraut), but has some High Schoolers lined up to help with the serving and clean up. My job this week is to get everything around the house in perfect order. I like the people, so I'm looking forward to the party.
Old 12-14-2006, 07:04 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I enjoyed Mrs. GM3's staff party a couple of weeks ago even though I didn't know anyone. They were all friendly towards me even if we were all cramped together at the tables.

My staff party is next Monday night and I am looking forward to it.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:42 PM

Received 322 Likes on 273 Posts

No party where I work

Quick Reply: Office Christmas/Holiday Party