S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

OMG What Have We Done??

Old 11-29-2016, 06:35 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

I wish I could build a 10 car garage. In Massachusetts, most towns have restrictions on the size of garages and you need to get a variance if you want something bigger.
Old 11-29-2016, 06:37 PM

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Congrats
Old 11-29-2016, 06:47 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Scooterboy
Having been in the maintenance/construction trade for decades I know that there are things that come up and that you need a buffer. My figures are about five to ten percent.

The house is some what of a package deal that you can make changes to it. All you need is a bigger check book.

Our sales rep has already said that I have asked more questions than all of her customers combined. If you can get the details correct up front it will save big bucks on change orders.

Please forgive my presumption. I was under the impression that you had not been through this before.
Old 11-30-2016, 04:23 AM

Received 2,510 Likes on 1,513 Posts

Originally Posted by Legal Bill
Please forgive my presumption. I was under the impression that you had not been through this before.
No problem. This will be the first time having one built for me so it is a new experience being on the checkbook end!
Old 11-30-2016, 06:45 AM

Received 133 Likes on 85 Posts

Congrats, we love one floor living. Are you looking at a planned community?
Old 11-30-2016, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by Zippy
Congrats, we love one floor living. Are you looking at a planned community?
Yes it is a planned community. I always said I would never live in a community that had an HOA but unless you want a custom built house on big land you are stuck with an HOA. We'll see how it works.
Old 11-30-2016, 08:59 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

David,
You mentioned the high cost of cable in your new community. Why don't you try "cutting the cord"? We got rid of Dish satellite service about 6 months ago and don't miss it. We stream all our video source material through either a Roku or Amazon Fire TV device. Since we already have Internet service, there is not that much added costs. And, best of all, there are no contracts to sign and we can subscribe or cancel any of the streaming services at any time. My main video providers are Playstation Vue, Hulu, and Amazon.
Old 11-30-2016, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by goblueS2K
David,
You mentioned the high cost of cable in your new community. Why don't you try "cutting the cord"? We got rid of Dish satellite service about 6 months ago and don't miss it. We stream all our video source material through either a Roku or Amazon Fire TV device. Since we already have Internet service, there is not that much added costs. And, best of all, there are no contracts to sign and we can subscribe or cancel any of the streaming services at any time. My main video providers are Playstation Vue, Hulu, and Amazon.
I'm still research but what I have heard so far is that the only telephone/internet provider has a low data limit and the speed isn't great. I still need to call them again but they won't give you any information until you have an address and we don't have one yet.
Old 11-30-2016, 01:03 PM

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by goblueS2K
David,
May be this should be a separate thread but we are just in the process of making these changes ourselves. We are going with WOW for telephone and internet and looking at getting a flat atenna for local TV stations. I think I am really going to miss BBC World so we have to work on that.
Old 11-30-2016, 02:46 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Tachus, We too have WOW for Internet service only. Telephone (landline) is still AT&T for technical reasons.

So far, WOW has not set a data cap limit on their service, and it is pretty fast, 100mbps for only $60 per month (2 year guaranteed rate).

David mentions slow download speeds and data caps, and these are major impediments to cord cutting. But so far, WOW is giving us good service at a reasonable price.
I know that Comcast has set up data caps of 1 TB per month in many localities for their Internet service. I haven't figured out yet what would happen if we encountered such a limit with our WOW account, but since we do not stream and download many movies, I think even 1 TB would be OK for us.

Quick Reply: OMG What Have We Done??