S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

One 2018 Honda CR-V Owner’s Experience

Old 01-30-2019, 10:14 AM

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

Sucks to read. I have always been skeptical of these small turbo motors. The heat issue reminds me of my old Tercel. Sure it was efficient but could never get any heat into the motor. Grille blocks maybe?
The motor being made in China makes me uneasy, but shouldn't be an issue considering Honda has plants in Mexico,etc. This is a widespread issue with DI motors, with new oil formulations claiming to help. I'm sure your familiar with bitog. Those claiming no issue are probably not diligent in checking their oil and have no idea.
Old 01-30-2019, 10:39 AM
tof

Received 1,916 Likes on 1,308 Posts

Well done, Dave. You might have saved a few potential owners here a lot of grief.

"This is not your father's Honda......sadly"
Old 01-30-2019, 10:57 AM

Received 4,951 Likes on 3,003 Posts

Originally Posted by tof
Well done, Dave. You might have saved a few potential owners here a lot of grief.

"This is not your father's Honda......sadly"
Thanks Mike, mission accomplished. The real pisser is the temperature this afternoon is -8° with a -35° windchill and only a fool would go out in it. But, since the wife and I have been on this walking-fat-off-mission we went to local mall. Within 2 miles her CR-V started warming up in the cabin. And Honda wants me to give that up because of their piss poor designed engine. Since my post above I have learned of a large number of owners who say their good heating cabin went to hell after the Honda's forced fix. I have no plans to get the fix anytime soon.
Old 01-30-2019, 11:07 AM

Received 221 Likes on 164 Posts

Sorry to hear that you're putting up with these kinds of issues on your new CRV , Dave. Who would have expected it in a Honda eh?
Somewhat off topic but it sounds like you are quite the online researcher. I recently purchased a used 2009 CRV with about 95k on it. What would be a good website to learn all about it similar to s2ki? You know, something with discussions on fluids, how to's, tips and tricks, etc.
Old 01-30-2019, 11:18 AM

Received 352 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by SheDrivesIt
What would be a good website to learn all about it similar to s2ki? You know, something with discussions on fluids, how to's, tips and tricks, etc.
Doing research for my son, I've used the following:

HondaTech
https://honda-tech.com/

CRV Owners Club
https://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/

Old 01-30-2019, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by starchland
Sucks to read. I have always been skeptical of these small turbo motors. The heat issue reminds me of my old Tercel. Sure it was efficient but could never get any heat into the motor. Grille blocks maybe?
The motor being made in China makes me uneasy, but shouldn't be an issue considering Honda has plants in Mexico,etc. This is a widespread issue with DI motors, with new oil formulations claiming to help. I'm sure your familiar with bitog. Those claiming no issue are probably not diligent in checking their oil and have no idea.
I agree it sucks. The CR-V has active shutter grills that open and close; according to Honda to improve aerodynamics. It all depends on the cooling needs of the engine. If the engine temperature is low/normal, then the car can close the shutter grill for increased aerodynamic efficiency. If engine temp then raises over a certain point, it will open the shutter grill to cool the engine more. The driver has no control over it, the car does it all automatically. Outside temperature will have an affect on it as well. Supposedly in the Winter the shutter closes right away to help the engine warm up quicker. As for the engine, the China engine was made just for China and not for export. Your right the 0w20 oil it uses is a thin as water which doesn't help unless the goal is gas mileage, which is what the goal was but achieving it shouldn't set the clock back to the 50s and 60s. Yes, I'm familiar with Bitog.
Old 01-30-2019, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by hecash
Doing research for my son, I've used the following:

HondaTech
https://honda-tech.com/

CRV Owners Club
https://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/
I agree, those are the places to go. At the CRV they break the discussions groups down by generation which means you don't have read about later or earlier models.
Old 01-30-2019, 01:31 PM

Received 2,531 Likes on 1,526 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04
Excellent suggestion. I am considering that now we have nearly 4,000 miles on the car. Its generally believed, or recommended, that you want 3-5,000 miles to get a good read out. I think it takes 2-3 weeks to get the results back. Several CR-V owners have sent their's in to start to build a case.
Dave, Blackstone is a little slow sending sample bottles so if you need one soon let me know. I have extras.
Old 01-30-2019, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Scooterboy
Dave, Blackstone is a little slow sending sample bottles so if you need one soon let me know. I have extras.
How did you extract the oil? Given the issues I do not want to do the car's first oil change myself. I want to be on record the dealer did it.
Old 01-30-2019, 02:15 PM

Received 2,531 Likes on 1,526 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04
How did you extract the oil? Given the issues I do not want to do the car's first oil change myself. I want to be on record the dealer did it.
I do my own and I take it out mid-stream while draining the oil. If you can get a hand suction pump you could draw it out thru the dip stick tube or ask the dealer to take the sample mid-stream.

Quick Reply: One 2018 Honda CR-V Owner’s Experience