S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Our trip to France July/Aug 2018

Old 07-12-2018, 04:09 AM

Received 2,577 Likes on 1,563 Posts
Default Our trip to France July/Aug 2018

Starting this a bit early to consolidate my posts and add some before we leave. Also will use this one to post anything during the trip and what I expect will be many pics!
Old 07-12-2018, 04:11 AM

From Oct 2017:

"Since I posted a couple of times in the 2017 thread about our Paris to Normandy river cruise next July, thought I would start the 2018 version. Never too early to plan!! I planned that cruise through Avalon Waterways. I'm also planning to book flights soon as the calendar allows (one year in advance). I don't like to leave anything to chance.
It's a surprise for the +1, who only knows we are going on an Art and Impressionism trip (art historian on board) and the dates, but not the country or that it is a river cruise. I may have to tell him 30 days in advance (due to security clearance requirements), but hoping to just show up at Dulles the day of departure."

Adding the itinerary - see next posts for the excursions I chose.

Day 1 Paris (Embarkation): Onboard welcome reception
Day 2 Vernon-Les Andelys: Choice of excursions to Giverny or Bizy Castle; onboard history lecture; choice of guided walk, or guided hike in Les Andelys
Day 3 Caudebec: Choice of full day excursion to Normandy landing beaches, including the Commemoration Ceremony of the D-Day 75th Anniversary, or “A Taste of Normandy” excursion
Day 4 Caudebec: Choice of excursion along the “Normandy Abbeys Route”, or hike in the Natural Park; lecture on board
Day 5 Rouen: Guided sightseeing related to the French Resistance, see the Astronomical Clock and visit the cathedral, or full day excursion to Vimy and Beaumont-Hamel
Day 6 Conflans: Choice of excursions to Auvers-sur-Oise, or Napoleon and Josephine’s Château de Malmaison
Day 7 Paris: Choice of guided sightseeing, or “Heart of Paris” walk, visit Notre Dame Cathedral, or WWII theme tour with visit of the museum of Les Invalides
Day 8 Paris (Disembarkation): Your vacation ends this morning

Last edited by MsPerky; 07-12-2018 at 04:22 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Birdybog (07-23-2018)
Old 07-12-2018, 04:21 AM

From May 2018:

Just booked the Paris-Normandy cruise excursions to include Monet's gardens at Giverny, all day trip to the Normandy beaches (I have been before but not since I was 11), walking tour through the medieval quarter of Rouen, tour of Napoleon and Josephine's Chateau de Malmaison, and a walking tour of the Ile St Louis and Ile de la Cite in Paris, with a tour of Notre Dame. Still have to plan the other places to see in Paris, but those are not part of the official trip. Getting the +1's input, since he has never been and I've lived there and been back a couple of times since.
Old 07-12-2018, 04:24 AM

From May 2018:

Also booked a hotel for our night of arrival in Paris...can't beat the location. Right next to the Eiffel Tower! It is subject to change by Avalon, but I hope we end up there. It is also close to the dock where we catch the cruise ship the following afternoon.

Hotel PARIS - Pullman Paris Eiffel Tower

Update: This will be our hotel for the one night.

Last edited by MsPerky; 07-15-2018 at 05:53 AM.
Old 07-12-2018, 04:28 AM

This is still the list of places in Paris that I'm trying to prioritize - it's way too long for the time we will have in the city (the day before the cruise and some time the last day of the cruise). I was going to book the Big Bus, but now I'm reconsidering. Have a lot to cover in a short period of time. Also, there are lines to get into many of the sights. Some companies advertise tickets to beat the lines, but I don't know how reliable those are. I sent an email to the concierge at the hotel for suggestions. May need a private car and guide.

Musee d'€™Orsay
Musee Rodin
Palais-Royal Gardens
Fondation Louis Vuitton (Bois de Boulogne)
Luxembourg Gardens
Bateau Mouche
Musee Picasso
The Louvre
Notre-Dame (Ile de la Cite)
Rue Saint-Honore
Marche Aux Puces de Saint-Ouen
The Eiffel Tower
The Marais
Rue des Martyrs
Basilique du Sacre-Coeur (Montmartre)
Avenue des Champs-Elysees
Deyrolle
Covered Passages
Mini Palais Restaurant
Pere Lachaise Cemetery
Sainte-Chapelle (Ile de la Cite)
Napoleon's Tomb (Les Invalides)
La Conciergerie (Ile de la Cite)
Pont Neuf (Ile de la Cite)
Au Franc Pinot (Ile Saint-Louis)
Centre Georges Pompidou
Au Lapin Agile (Montmartre)
Shakespeare and Company Bookstore

Last edited by MsPerky; 07-12-2018 at 04:48 AM.
Old 07-12-2018, 04:45 AM

Have just gotten a 30-page document from Avalon with all our travel information. It's very thorough!! A couple of things caught my attention.

You need a PIN when you make credit-card charges.
Can't carry any scissors, clippers, etc, in hand luggage no matter how small.
Coming home, we may be asked to turn on electronic devices. If any don't function, they can't be brought on board the airplane. This seems to be a rule now for the US and Canada.
Old 07-12-2018, 04:53 AM

The +1 still only knows we are flying to Paris and that it is an art-related trip (art historian on board the ship). So I guess I will hand him all the particulars on the plane. He should be happy.

Last edited by MsPerky; 07-15-2018 at 05:54 AM.
Old 07-12-2018, 05:14 AM

Received 4,919 Likes on 2,983 Posts

If you really want to take in the art scene in Paris you must put Sacre-Coeur / Montmartre area near the top of your list - - it has been the heart of the Paris street painters scene since the late 1800s.
Old 07-12-2018, 05:34 AM

Received 2,496 Likes on 1,507 Posts

Originally Posted by MsPerky
This is still the list of places in Paris that I'm trying to prioritize - it's way too long for the time we will have in the city (the day before the cruise and some time the last day of the cruise). I was going to book the Big Bus, but now I'm reconsidering. Have a lot to cover in a short period of time. Also, there are lines to get into many of the sights. Some companies advertise tickets to beat the lines, but I don't know how reliable those are. I sent an email to the concierge at the hotel for suggestions. May need a private car and guide.
While in Rome we used a company that offered advanced entry ahead of the crowds and it worked great. We were able to beat the crowds for the Colosseum and the Vatican. We did have to make our reservations in advance to get in though.
Old 07-12-2018, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by dlq04
If you really want to take in the art scene in Paris you must put Sacre-Coeur / Montmartre area near the top of your list - - it has been the heart of the Paris street painters scene since the late 1800s.
Yes, it is at the top. Also want to have a drink at Au Lapin Agile if possible. Famous artist hangout.

This photo of yours truly having her portrait done was in the Place du Tertre.

Last edited by MsPerky; 07-12-2018 at 05:55 AM.

Quick Reply: Our trip to France July/Aug 2018