S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Peas and Greens

Old 12-31-2005, 04:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Peas and Greens

Who's doing the traditional New Year's meal of black-eyed peas and greens with hog jowl and corn bread? Or is that just a southern thing?

What's on the menu?

btw - Never attempt to run turnip green stems through your disposal - unless it's a great deal more efficient than mine. That is unless you enjoy doing plumbing work on New Year's Eve.

Happy New Year!

Old 12-31-2005, 04:38 PM

Received 709 Likes on 434 Posts

Oops, I forgot to get the blackeyed peas. It is a southern thing: we ALWAYS had black eyed peas cooked with a ham bone, boiled cabbage or kale (supposed to be good for your prosperity, but I think its just good for something else), and stewed tomatoes back when I was a child. Oh, yeah and the cornbread. +1's family always had corned beef and cabbage. We'll be having baked chicken, rice and a salad. Our traditions have failed.
Old 12-31-2005, 04:44 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Just finished dinner. Gourmet filet, twice baked botato, asparagus and bread. Ready to bust. But...there is cherry crisp on tap for later. Now, about that diet.
Old 12-31-2005, 04:49 PM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts

It must be a Southern thing. I've never heard of that tradition. Sound like a good one though.
Old 12-31-2005, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by ralper,Dec 31 2005, 09:49 PM
It must be a Southern thing. I've never heard of that tradition. Sound like a good one though.
The peas are for luck, the greens for prosperity, the jowl for seasoning (when that's all there was), and the cornbread... just because it's good.

There will also be some smoked pork loin ala raymo, cole slaw, and various other goodies.
Old 01-01-2006, 06:50 AM

Received 2,596 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Love Hoppin' John - black-eyed peas and rice combo. A New Year's tradition.
Old 01-01-2006, 08:44 AM

My wife has the tradition of eating black eyed peas and forces me to eat at least a spoonful, that is about all I can Stomach. She always buys the canned ones and just heats them up and serves them with whatever we make for dinner on new years. I have always found them to taste like dirt in a can. Is there any recommends on how to doctor them up to make them more digestible?
Old 01-01-2006, 08:46 AM

Received 464 Likes on 396 Posts

Roasted turkey,ataca,"ragout de pattes de cochon","tourtieres(some kind of meat pie)",served with mashed potatoes,gravy,homebaked bread, etc...
So much for the diet...
New Year resolution,maybe...???
Old 01-01-2006, 11:27 AM

My grandmother, une quebecoise, used to make ragout de pattes de cochons, but I haven't had any in 50 years or more. I've been known to make tourtieres now and again, but since moving south, we always have black-eyed peas and greens on New Year's day. I agree with moonsurfer that they're not the tastiest legume, but cooking them with lots of seasoning meat helps. My wife eats only a token amount of greens, whatever kind we have...
Old 01-01-2006, 12:36 PM

Received 2,763 Likes on 1,624 Posts

Originally Posted by Emil St-Hilaire,Jan 1 2006, 12:46 PM
Roasted turkey,ataca,"ragout de pattes de cochon","tourtieres(some kind of meat pie)",served with mashed potatoes,gravy,homebaked bread, etc...
So much for the diet...
New Year resolution,maybe...???
Those meat pies, if they are the ones I'm thinking of, were very popular in my house. Rick still makes them from his mother's recipe.

My father made them with ground beef, some ground pork, onions,some allspice and a mashed potato in them so the ingredients would stick together. Is that the same kind of pie? I remeber tham as tourquiers, or something like that.

Rick's mother used all ground beef, onions, boullion a dash of allspice and some cracker crumbs to hold the ingredients together. Very tasty, we had some over Christmas week.

Some folks even put a dash of cinnamon in them, which I don't care for.

Oh that other dish, was that pigs feet, meatballs and gravy? My mother used to make that one...............not a big hit with us, except for the meatballs.

Rick's mother was born in Magog, Canada, my parents also had ancestors from Canada.

Quick Reply: Peas and Greens