S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Prescription sun glasses

Old 08-01-2016, 11:55 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts
Default Prescription sun glasses

I can't find my sunglasses! Damn it. I love those things. This drove me to set up an appointment with the eye doctor to check my vision before I go out and by new glasses. Anyway, I noticed that there are a lot of frames on line that can take prescription lenses. I started to wonder if I should buy the frames on-line and then have a local store do the lenses. Then that got me wondering what is up with prescription sun glasses these days. I figure some of you may have bought a pair recently. So if you have any intel, please let me know what the latest features are in shaded prescription eye wear.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts on the subject.
Old 08-01-2016, 12:14 PM

Received 116 Likes on 77 Posts

Elaine has prescription sunglasses. I think she got them at Lens Crafter. I don't think she got any special features.

I have "Transitions" and love them. The only issue is when driving a car (non convertible) they will not darken much since the car glass filters the UV rays. In the S, they are fine.
Old 08-01-2016, 01:31 PM

Received 464 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by PokS2k

I have "Transitions" and love them. The only issue is when driving a car (non convertible) they will not darken much since the car glass filters the UV rays. In the S, they are fine.
That's why,I have magnetic clip-on.
Old 08-01-2016, 03:58 PM

Received 696 Likes on 472 Posts

I got Oakley prescription glasses. They are progressive lens with great Oakley optics. Use them for cycling and all other outdoor activities. Great for fishing Bill.
Old 08-01-2016, 08:04 PM

Received 4,929 Likes on 2,989 Posts

Originally Posted by S2KRAY
I got Oakley prescription glasses. They are progressive lens with great Oakley optics. Use them for cycling and all other outdoor activities. Great for fishing Bill.
I have Oakley as well. Originally I bought progressive but they didn't work out at all for track racing. When I went to another eye store a few years later they told me I never should have done that for the track. They changed them to just distance and I now love them but I wouldn't try puting a worm on a hock with them.
Old 08-01-2016, 08:38 PM

Received 1,553 Likes on 922 Posts

I bought the "new" Wayfarer from Ray Ban and the lenses are not sold in the USA. I got them in Hong Kong. (not knockoffs these) The reason is the shape of the progressive area; it is better suited for driving than the usual reading, close up, and distance. The optometrist I have here agreed that they were a better fit for driving.

You may want to see if you can get something specific for your needs. See what they say. Costco is great for glasses too.
Old 08-01-2016, 08:47 PM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Costco could not darken my lenses enough, so they sent me to a local independent lens maker. I wanted some kind of wrap/side protection, as my eyes are blue and very sensitive to the bright sun in Arizona. I ended up with a pair of wrap around frames that are actually safety glass rated (ANSI Z87.1) with custom darkend polarized lenses made to my progressive prescription. They seem to work just fine, blocking about 97% of visiable light. Sometimes during mid-day, I wish they were darker. When I'm outside at this time of year, they will tend to slip down my nose if I bend over, and try to fall off. They work fine for driving during daytime hours. My attitude is "Fashion be damned. I want function."
Old 08-02-2016, 02:38 AM

Received 696 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04
Originally Posted by S2KRAY' timestamp='1470095928' post='24030163
I have Oakley as well. Originally I bought progressive but they didn't work out at all for track racing. When I went to another eye store a few years later they told me I never should have done that for the track. They changed them to just distance and I now love them but I wouldn't try puting a worm on a hock with them.
Mine are progressive and they work great for me. Now I can see my bike computer without a blur. And I can read a book on the beach.
Old 08-02-2016, 05:28 AM

Received 4,929 Likes on 2,989 Posts

Originally Posted by S2KRAY
Originally Posted by dlq04' timestamp='1470110650' post='24030334
[quote name='S2KRAY' timestamp='1470095928' post='24030163']
Mine are progressive and they work great for me. Now I can see my bike computer without a blur. And I can read a book on the beach.
[/quote]

Mine are curved and wrap around tightly. I thought they would work well under a helmet and improve the side vision on the track. Instead because they were progressive they gave a false feeling that vehicles were moving over towards me. I hated them even driving down a straight expressway as it seemed trucks were moving over the center lines. When I replaced the lens for distance only, all that changed. True, I have to change glasses to read a map, etc. but I love the side vision now.
Old 08-02-2016, 05:50 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Did Oakley make the prescription lenses??

Quick Reply: Prescription sun glasses