S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Prescription sun glasses

Old 08-04-2016, 07:35 AM

Received 1,424 Likes on 954 Posts

I have pair of Ray-Ban glasses that my Dad gave to me, way back in college. Last Century! Still using them.

Funny how fashions come around again. Just need to wait.

Old 08-04-2016, 12:29 PM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I''m nearsighted and have had glasses for the past 50 or so years. I finally needed bifocals at about 40-45 and went with progressives. It takes a while- and some judicious frame bending- for progressives to work for me. I found that bending back the sides a little to give a very slight wrap-around made the adjustment to progressives easier.

The best thing is that for the past 10 years my distance vision has incrementally improved. The doc says my experience is not unusual.

For prescription sunglasses I have some Callaway branded wraparounds. I was told progressives wouldn't work with the wraparound style. The wraparound mono prescriptions are much better for driving, cycling and outdoor sports than the progressives. Good thing the S2000 has a big digital instrument display. That helps with the lack of the progressive prescription.
Old 08-04-2016, 12:49 PM

Received 696 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by Legal Bill
My prescription changed slightly (for the worse) so it was time for a major eyewear investment. I ended up buying two new pairs of glasses, both with progressive lenses. The first is clear for the office and indoor use, with a Brooks Brothers frame. The second will be polarized, tinted and mirrored Ray-Ban framed sunglasses for driving and other outdoor events. I also bought new progressive lenses for the frame that held my transitions. I hardly ever used these, so the frame is in excellent shape. The lenses will be a gray/blue tint for fishing. As the lowest cost of the three pair, I won't feel too bad if they fall over the side. Total cost for this eyewear upgrade was a tick over $1K. Hopefully I'll get five years out of the lenses and ten out of the frames.

No Oakleys at this time. Maybe down the road.
Yeah, they ain't cheap. Paid over $500 for frame and progressive lenses. You will look like Paul Newman sporting those new Ray-Bans. Just wear a hat.
Old 08-04-2016, 05:45 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Oh, I always wear a hat.
Old 08-04-2016, 09:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I gave up on transitions years ago. After my first cataract surgery the Ophthalmologist gave me some Solar Shield polarized glasses that fit over my seeing glasses and I have been using them ever since. $20.00 at Walgreens. I replace them about every two years.
Old 08-05-2016, 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by PanteraKitty
I gave up on transitions years ago. After my first cataract surgery the Ophthalmologist gave me some Solar Shield polarized glasses that fit over my seeing glasses and I have been using them ever since. $20.00 at Walgreens. I replace them about every two years.
I have a pair of those as well. I was never crazy about them. Something about looking through two sets of lenses.
Old 08-05-2016, 04:40 PM

Received 696 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by PanteraKitty' timestamp='1470374260' post='24032759
I have a pair of those as well. I was never crazy about them. Something about looking through two sets of lenses.
And your not a cheap skate
Old 08-06-2016, 04:52 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've worn progressives for nearly 20 years now.

I've gotten them from a variety of places some very expensive.

We stumbled upon Zenni Optical a while back and couldn't be happier.

The glasses are inexpensive and well made. Their customer service is very good as well. As they come from Hong Kong, turnaround is about 10 days.

Why you ask? I've got a pair of rimless titanium glasses with no line progressives with the Transitions tinting. I've had quotes for these locally of about $600. I got them from Zenni for $100. The first pair of my current version they made the transition was off. Sent them back, they said it was their error and sent another pair.

At the same time I had ordered a pair of sunglasses in distant vision only from them to see how they would work out. Problem with that is my myopia is such that I couldn't read the gages in the car.... They happily accepted those for return and credited my account even though this was clearly my error.
Old 08-25-2016, 11:52 AM

I can't find my sunglasses! Damn it. I love those things. This drove me to set up an appointment with the eye doctor to check my vision before I go out and by new glasses. Anyway, I noticed that there are a lot of frames on line that can take prescription lenses. I started to wonder if I should buy the frames on-line and then have a local store do the lenses. Then that got me wondering what is up with prescription sun glasses these days. I figure some of you may have bought a pair recently. So if you have any intel, please let me know what the latest features are in shaded prescription eye wear.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts on the subject.

And of course, after buying two new pairs of glasses and re-lensing a frame that I already owned, I find my old sunglasses!

Oh well. I'm actually happy to have found them. I just love my Ray-Ban Predators! Now they have to go out for new lenses as well.
Old 08-25-2016, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by cdubea
I've worn progressives for nearly 20 years now.

I've gotten them from a variety of places some very expensive.

We stumbled upon Zenni Optical a while back and couldn't be happier.

The glasses are inexpensive and well made. Their customer service is very good as well. As they come from Hong Kong, turnaround is about 10 days.

Why you ask? I've got a pair of rimless titanium glasses with no line progressives with the Transitions tinting. I've had quotes for these locally of about $600. I got them from Zenni for $100. The first pair of my current version they made the transition was off. Sent them back, they said it was their error and sent another pair.

At the same time I had ordered a pair of sunglasses in distant vision only from them to see how they would work out. Problem with that is my myopia is such that I couldn't read the gages in the car.... They happily accepted those for return and credited my account even though this was clearly my error.
Similarly, I use these guys to install new lenses in old frames:

http://www.lensfactory.com/

Quick Reply: Prescription sun glasses