S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Quality. Is it the company or the location?

Old 09-27-2003, 09:15 PM
Former Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally posted by ralper
Brantshali

Were the Fords the same model just built in different locations, or different models.
Actually...both. I've driven all sorts of Fords from both the US and Europe and the quality has typically been better in Europe. A specific example of the "same" car in both locations is the Mondeo in Europe which is the Contour/Mystique here in the US. The structure and bodywork of the car is essentially the same in both markets and fit and finish in that area is pretty solid, but the overall car in Europe feels higher quality overall. Somehow the translation of a world class compact car from Europe didn't quite make it to the US market...
Old 09-28-2003, 06:12 AM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I personally know 3 people who work for Honda of America manufacturing in Marysville,Ohio and they say the tolerances for product being exported back to Japan are tighter than those being shipped here in the states.
Old 10-01-2003, 06:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I remember when "built is Japan" was bad. I believe all people, given the same opportunities, are capable of producing a quality product. Capable yes. Willing no. Therefore, I prefer a product made in Japan because they have zeroed in on quality. Savy shoppers expect more for their money and the Japanese have found their niche. I would and have purchased Hondas that were built in the U.S.A and was content however, I'm 60/40 on the side of a product built in Japan because of workmanship and the recent history of U.S. workmanship. If not built and engineered in Japan or Germany, Japanese or German engineering. I've purchased too many $30k big three vehicles that had quality problems. Simple to have avoided quality problems. Shoddy materials and bad workmanship being the culprits. U.S. workers are capable but not yet hungry enough to surpass the Japanese in quality and workmanship. It can happen but when?
Old 10-01-2003, 10:39 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I will never buy another American car. Same problems exist that existed in the 80's. Not to the same degree, but they still don't get it. Ugly designs, gas hogs, broken parts.
Old 10-01-2003, 02:47 PM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

In 34 years of car ownership, I have only had one lemon and I have only had one American car.

If you think that these were one and the same, you would be correct

1986 Plymouth Voyager mini-van. Engine, brake and transmission problems (the worst). The brakes failed on the local expressway with 5-6 kids onboard and a Naval Academy cadet (here for Army-Navy game) came to her aid. We kept this car only 2 years (a record SHORT holding for us), and traded it in on an 88-89 Mazda MPV.

This MPV was a great car- 3.0 V6 (Yamaha-made?) and a FIVE SPEED STICK on the floor They only made this combo for one year
Old 10-01-2003, 03:07 PM

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally posted by OhioRacer
I will never buy another American car. Same problems exist that existed in the 80's. Not to the same degree, but they still don't get it. Ugly designs, gas hogs, broken parts.
I agree. They are simply not engineered well.

Like Jerry, I too only have owned one American car in my years of driving, a 1988 Jeep Wrangler. It was a sometime car that I keep at my house in Woodstock. As a result, it didn't accumulate many miles. It was the worst engineered vehicle I have ever owned. I sold it after 68,000 miles because I couldn't stand having to repair it constantly.

Over the years my folks have owned a number of American cars. Chevys, Oldsmobiles and for the last 20 years Cadillacs. Their recent Caddys have been better, but they never have had any car that was as trouble free as my Hondas and Toyota. The reasons they have had less trouble with the recent Caddys is that they lease them, and generally put on less than 25,000 miles in the three year term of the lease. They are of the loyal generation and will probably continue to buy/lease American cars.

I have owned many Hondas over the years. Most of them were built in America. I had virtually no trouble with them. Each one was better than the one that came before. I currently have (besides my S) a Toyota 4Runner which after 87,000 miles is the most reliable car I have ever owned. I don't even think it has reached it's half life yet. I also own and Acura TL-TypeS (built in America). So far it is every bit a Honda.

The issue is, I think, that companies like Honda and Toyota put more engineering into their cars. Their cars are designed to last longer. That is why I think that it really doesn't matter where the cars are built, but rather which company built and engineered them. I believe quality is more dependant on engineering and management than it is on where the assembly line is located.
Old 10-01-2003, 03:11 PM

And quality IS the culture at Toyota and Honda. That's their differentiator. It's their lifeblood.
Old 10-01-2003, 03:42 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Granted the American cars have not been great in recent years but a lot of what you guys are picking on are isolated examples. My S2000 has seen the shop a lot more than other cars I have owned.. I had a Mustang that went in once in five years, and a Chevy that never saw the shop in 140K miles.

The Japanese have had their share of problems in recent years, the Europeans cars are not flawless, and the quality of American and Korean products are improving.

Don't let your perception get stuck in a rut, the only constant in this world is change.
Old 10-01-2003, 04:01 PM

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,105 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by cdelena
Granted the American cars have not been great in recent years but a lot of what you guys are picking on are isolated examples. My S2000 has seen the shop a lot more than other cars I have owned.. I had a Mustang that went in once in five years, and a Chevy that never saw the shop in 140K miles.
Old 10-01-2003, 04:45 PM

I have had ZERO good experience with American cars and I've had them all. My latest adventure was with Mazda...spelled FORD. But at least I used the law to get the bastards to buy our new CR-V.

Quick Reply: Quality. Is it the company or the location?