S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

The remodeling/home improvement thread

Old 09-13-2018, 06:38 AM

Received 2,948 Likes on 1,640 Posts

I'm having three LED lights and a heater put in my Loveland garage, today. Originally, the electrician just came out to give me a bid on running 220 volt for a Master Spa I bought but I've wanted more lights and a heater since I bought the place last year. The spa is being installed on Monday. He's also running a line for the fountain I put in so I don't have cords laying around. I'm going to be set this winter! A spa outside the walkout basement that's also going to be under the upper deck, and a heated, well lit garage to work on stained glass.

Old 09-13-2018, 06:43 AM

Received 1,552 Likes on 921 Posts

You mentioned a fountain. If you want it to run all year you may want to get a water heater designed for cattle water tanks. Works to keep it from water becoming solid.

Usually gas/propane heaters are more cost effective than converting electricity to heat. Not sure what you have in Loveland. I am on propane and I noticed a huge decrease in the electric bill when I switched over to a gas dryer from electric. That was when the kids were still at home.

I have a PV system and my electric bill is one quarter of what it used to be.
Old 09-13-2018, 06:54 AM

Received 4,921 Likes on 2,984 Posts

Originally Posted by cosmomiller
Usually gas/propane heaters are more cost effective than converting electricity to heat. Not sure what you have in Loveland.
I agree.
Old 09-13-2018, 07:10 AM

Received 2,948 Likes on 1,640 Posts

Originally Posted by cosmomiller
You mentioned a fountain. If you want it to run all year you may want to get a water heater designed for cattle water tanks. Works to keep it from water becoming solid.

Usually gas/propane heaters are more cost effective than converting electricity to heat. Not sure what you have in Loveland. I am on propane and I noticed a huge decrease in the electric bill when I switched over to a gas dryer from electric. That was when the kids were still at home.

I have a PV system and my electric bill is one quarter of what it used to be.
I figured I'll just have to drain the fountain. I didn't know about cattle water tank heaters.

My electric bill is really reasonable here. I don't expect to be using the garage heater much. I'm on natural gas here.

Old 09-13-2018, 07:25 AM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

We purchased this townhouse as a foreclosure. Had to gut the kitchen and bathrooms. Replaced floors. Original cabinets were trash. Neighbor of mine was replacing his 20 year old oak cabinets and I picked them up for $350. We were not a fan of oak and some cabinets had to be cut down to fit the unique space. Mary Rose painted all the cabinets before we installed them. My son selected "millennial" gray for the bottoms and white with a gray tinge for the uppers. The savings allowed for the splurge for the granite. The one cabinet is being colored by the Edison LED pendant light. Added that as well as under cabinet lighting and light over sink. Here are pictures of kitchen when we purchased itThe remodeling/home improvement thread-photo4.jpgThe remodeling/home improvement thread-photo427.jpg
Old 09-13-2018, 07:51 AM

Received 2,735 Likes on 1,613 Posts

Nice job!! On a budget too!
Old 09-13-2018, 08:38 AM

Received 1,552 Likes on 921 Posts

Here is a small heater ( thermostatically controlled) for just a bucket. Should work in the recovery tank/pump well part of the fountain. The other item I use in my two fountains is chlorine bits. I have a pool and when I replenish the 3" chlorine tabs I usually find small pieces of the stuff. I toss them in the fountains to keep the algae at bay. I must admit a fountain in the front (very large "vase" with a bubbler sphere on top) often finds its own biological ecosystem zone that I don't touch. Even the frogs love it. I ran a copper line (from a house spigot) to it and use a trough water filler to keep the water level perfect. The pump runs for several years before failure and replacement.

https://www.horse.com/item/k-and-h-perfect-bucket-heater/E017277/

https://www.horse.com/item/trough-o-matic-float-valve/E011779/
Old 09-14-2018, 09:57 AM

Received 2,578 Likes on 1,563 Posts

Originally Posted by MsPerky
I have posted separate threads for my big projects, but here is a small one. I'm putting wood in my dressing room to replace the old dirty carpet that is in there. I normally like dark wood but the one I decided on is Hickory Saddle, which goes better with the tile that I have under the vanity. Mullican Hillshire - 5" planks. Don't have an installation date yet. Takes about a week to get the wood once I sign the contract. So maybe a month to be completed.

OK, I have run into a problem with how the wood would be laid in the dressing room. My flooring contractor says the planned layout we came up with (kind of a path from the hallway around the area in front of the vanity) will be too complicated for the installer to do. So, it either has to be all vertical planks or all horizontal, which I think is gonna look awful. Anyhoo, I've emailed everyone in my tier to see if anyone has wood and how they designed the area. To be cont'd...
Old 10-12-2018, 05:57 AM

Received 2,578 Likes on 1,563 Posts

^ Update...the wood is out. I saw it in another apt like mine and don't like how it looks. So now will do carpet in the dressing room and master bedroom, followed by the second bedroom and the living room. The rest of the apt is tile. Been going around and around about whether to get the same color in all the spaces. They are separate so it really doesn't matter. Anyhoo...I have finally chosen the carpet brand and style I want. So that is major progress. Now to narrow down the color(s) (there are several possibilities at the moment) and get measurements/estimate. The current carpet is 12 years old and has not worn well. Just dirty and yucky. It is light. Not doing that again. Going a bit darker and a more mottled look, i.e. two colors in the fibers.

Here's a sample of one of the colors I'm considering:

Last edited by MsPerky; 10-12-2018 at 06:08 AM.
Old 10-12-2018, 06:38 AM

Received 2,735 Likes on 1,613 Posts

^
I like it. IF I were carpeting, I'd go with one color throughout. Even if the spaces are separate, I think it might flow better.

Carpet is tough to get a decent life span, especially in high traffic areas. Our living room and hallway are connected. The hallway always looked beat up around 7 years if not sooner. We replaced the carpet twice and then I gave up. One of the best home improvements we made was ditching carpet in hallway and living room and having the wood refinished.(Floors in bedroom had been refinished before we bought the house) I'm thankful for the hardwood floors and area rugs.. If rug gets tired/dirty, easy to switch out. I'm tired of the living room rug........it's on the endangered species list. I know you have to keep the noise down, so to speak, in your condo, so hardwood isn't for you.

Quick Reply: The remodeling/home improvement thread