S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

The remodeling/home improvement thread

Old 03-23-2006, 08:57 AM
Former Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm acting as the general contractor. I am qualified to do about 60% of the work myself (have extensive renovation experience), but I'm also helping to plan a wedding at the same time as this project AND I'm the stay at home step-dad-to-be for my finac
Old 03-23-2006, 09:20 AM
Former Moderator

The interior of the house will be predominantly done by mid-May so we can start moving in after the wedding. The rest will remain a work in progress for quite some time.

As I mentioned, I have an extensive list of projects in the pipeline, such as:

1) Renovate one of the sheds on the property to become Robyn's (my fianc
Old 03-23-2006, 09:31 AM
Former Moderator

Ok, here are a few random during shots...

The floors upstairs after the first sanding and coat of finish (downstairs and kitchen start next week):

The walls during and after abuse :

The current "rot spot" in the front porch that I put a ladder through the first week I owned the house:

I will try to post more as more work is completed and I get all of the pictures I have consolidated on my computer...
Old 03-23-2006, 10:06 AM
Former Moderator

Ok...I'll stop monopolizing this thread and go play elsewhere for a while...
Old 03-23-2006, 10:19 AM

Received 2,744 Likes on 1,619 Posts

Keep posting the pics.

I can't imagine us undertaking projects as extensive as yours, especially with three active boys to contend with.
Old 03-23-2006, 10:25 AM
Former Moderator

I'm still relatively young (just turned 34), so I guess I'm just trying to convince myself I still have the energy for all this!
Old 03-23-2006, 01:51 PM

Received 2,584 Likes on 1,565 Posts

Wow, Brant...you are really gutting the place. I've done remodels on several houses, but not to that extent. I'm sure it will look wonderful when it's done. And you'll have a nice wedding present to yourselves.
Old 03-23-2006, 02:24 PM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by MsPerky,Mar 23 2006, 02:51 PM
Wow, Brant...you are really gutting the place. I've done remodels on several houses, but not to that extent. I'm sure it will look wonderful when it's done. And you'll have a nice wedding present to yourselves.
Intially it was planned to be a far more superficial remodel, but anyone that has endeavored to get involved in projects like this with old houses know that you don't define the project...it defines you...
Old 03-24-2006, 09:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last Spring My Extra Storage Garage Caught on Fire. The Insurance Money was about $8,500 shy of all the Bids we received from Contractors to Clean up and Rebuilt the Garage.

The Place was a Mess, and had to be tore down to the Studs.

Everything inside the Garage was Destroyed, and we Filled Two 20 Yard Dumpsters to clear everything out. A Friend of mine did most of the Clean Up at a Fair Price. Most of the Contractors wanted around $5000 to tear down to the studs and toss everything.

To stay within budget my Family and I did most of the Rebuilding. We paid a Contractor to install a Wayne Dalton Garage Door and I-Drive opener. We also paid a few Friends by the hour to Help with Electrical, Drywall and siding.

My Children and I did all the Finish work to the inside of the Garage. We Finished all the walls with Poor Mans Plaster, ( 30 gallons of Joint Compound mixed with 6 Gallons of High Gloss Paint ) and sealed the walls with High Gloss Clear Acrylic Paint. It Looks so Good we decided to finish all the walls in our home the same way this summer.

My Wife Kim Finished the ceiling with a imitation Tin Tile Textured Wallpaper. She also hung a 13' x 8' Wallpaper Mural of a Michigan Forest with a small Waterfall running thru the middle to keep our S Happy thru the Winter. We Framed the Muriel to look like a Window and also hung window treatments to give it a nice Finished look.

The S Didn't have a Clue how much Snow was outside this past Winter. She is also having Tons of Fun watching TV all Day in her New Garage. We also like to Visit her every day just too make sure she is Happy.

Old 03-24-2006, 10:18 AM

Received 2,744 Likes on 1,619 Posts

Beautiful. How about of pic of that wallpaper mural? I have one large wall that I was thinking of doing something like that on, probably in a smaller scale.

We had a small bump in the kitchen reno last night. I guess they use some kind of plywood veneer on the back of the lower cabinets. This will be seen from the dining room side. Well however they manufactured it, it ended up looking striped.

I emailed the pic to the kitchen lady this AM. They are going to get a replacement piece and I think it's something easily remedied, though it will take a while for delivery.
It should not hold up the project, as I think he can work around it.

Week FIVE begins Monday!

Quick Reply: The remodeling/home improvement thread