S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

The remodeling/home improvement thread

Old 09-11-2018, 08:50 AM
Former Moderator

Received 610 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by MsPerky
I have posted separate threads for my big projects, but here is a small one. I'm putting wood in my dressing room to replace the old dirty carpet that is in there. I normally like dark wood but the one I decided on is Hickory Saddle, which goes better with the tile that I have under the vanity. Mullican Hillshire - 5" planks. Don't have an installation date yet. Takes about a week to get the wood once I sign the contract. So maybe a month to be completed.

————————
I have to return to Colorado to oversee the repairs from flooding. BTW, Deb, this is the hickory flooring that Chris selected to replace the first level floor throughout. Looks very similar to your color...

It’s 3/4 in thick x 5 in wide, with tongue and groove. It doesn’t require any inderlayment, but I ordered a moisture barrier for the kitchen. The baths will be retiled.

Old 09-11-2018, 09:15 AM

Received 2,986 Likes on 1,661 Posts

I have posted separate threads for my big projects, but here is a small one. I'm putting wood in my dressing room to replace the old dirty carpet that is in there. I normally like dark wood but the one I decided on is Hickory Saddle, which goes better with the tile that I have under the vanity. Mullican Hillshire - 5" planks. Don't have an installation date yet. Takes about a week to get the wood once I sign the contract. So maybe a month to be completed.

^Pretty. I'm a big fan of wood like that.

Originally Posted by S1997

I have to return to Colorado to oversee the repairs from flooding. BTW, Deb, this is the hickory flooring that Chris selected to replace the first level floor throughout. Looks very similar to your color...

It’s 3/4 in thick with tongue and groove. It doesn’t require any inderlayment, but I ordered a moisture barrier for the kitchen. The baths will be retiled.
What happened, Jim? Nice wood!
Old 09-11-2018, 09:20 AM

Received 2,596 Likes on 1,571 Posts

I see Chris and I both have excellent taste! Good luck with your restoration. I'm sure it was a real shock to see all that damage from a leaking refrigerator!! How did your visitors from Germany make out in the house?

Last edited by MsPerky; 09-11-2018 at 09:26 AM.
Old 09-11-2018, 09:30 AM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Just finished renovating the Kitchen on my son's new townhouse
Attached Thumbnails The remodeling/home improvement thread-photo923.jpg  
Old 09-11-2018, 10:30 AM

Received 2,766 Likes on 1,626 Posts

Nicely done, but I have to ask. I know the style is to have different colors of cabinets. I see light on top, dark on bottom. Not my thing, but I get it. Why is one cabinet at the end natural wood?

Love the simplicity of the backsplash. Wish I had done something like that!
Old 09-11-2018, 11:08 AM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by Kyras

^Pretty. I'm a big fan of wood like that.

What happened, Jim? Nice wood!
What Deb said, Patty. While I was in Alaska the icemaker on the fridge sprang a leak and saturated the wood floor; and it flooded parts of the Colorado house including the basement and garage underneath. Arrgh!
Old 09-11-2018, 11:09 AM

Received 2,986 Likes on 1,661 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey
Nicely done, but I have to ask. I know the style is to have different colors of cabinets. I see light on top, dark on bottom. Not my thing, but I get it. Why is one cabinet at the end natural wood?

Love the simplicity of the backsplash. Wish I had done something like that!
I think it's just the lighting, Lainey. It has a yellow tinge from the light.
Old 09-11-2018, 11:14 AM
Former Moderator

I see Chris and I both have excellent taste! Good luck with your restoration. I'm sure it was a real shock to see all that damage from a leaking refrigerator!! How did your visitors from Germany make out in the house?
The visitors came, and we had a wonderful time - Jeep trailing, Mesa Verde, Ouray, steaks and cowboy music outside at the Chuckwagon by the Bar—D Ramblers. We grilled a lot outside at the fire. Und viel geklönt!
Old 09-11-2018, 11:20 AM

Received 2,766 Likes on 1,626 Posts

^
Hmm maybe so.

I'm a matchy matchy kind of girl. Back in my childhood days, we often had mismatched, hand me down furniture in our house. Though life was just fine for my family I kind of envied those with coordinated living room sets, dining sets, etc. All my kitchen cabinets are maple. I could go with all white, but they would have to be the same. I have different tones of wood in some of the pieces of furniture in my house...took me a while to get that far. Upper and lower cabinets have to be the same in my world..
Old 09-11-2018, 11:31 AM

Received 921 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyras
I think it's just the lighting, Lainey. It has a yellow tinge from the light.
Patty, I was thinking the exact same thing, that it might just be from the lighting.

Quick Reply: The remodeling/home improvement thread