S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

The remodeling/home improvement thread

Old 10-13-2018, 06:02 AM
tof

Received 1,916 Likes on 1,308 Posts

Interesting. Deb, our resident trend setter (and I mean that in the most complementary way possible) is going tile rather than wood. But Deb, I JUST replaced my flooring with scraped maple hardwood.

Like that carpet. Should nicely complement your tile floors. Plus the subtle pattern will do a nice job of hiding minor stains between cleanings.
Old 10-13-2018, 06:26 AM

Received 3,513 Likes on 2,377 Posts

if it makes you fell better Mike, we went with tile AND wood.
Old 11-15-2018, 06:39 AM

Received 2,596 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Originally Posted by MsPerky
^ Update...the wood is out. I saw it in another apt like mine and don't like how it looks. So now will do carpet in the dressing room and master bedroom, followed by the second bedroom and the living room. The rest of the apt is tile. Been going around and around about whether to get the same color in all the spaces. They are separate so it really doesn't matter. Anyhoo...I have finally chosen the carpet brand and style I want. So that is major progress. Now to narrow down the color(s) (there are several possibilities at the moment) and get measurements/estimate. The current carpet is 12 years old and has not worn well. Just dirty and yucky. It is light. Not doing that again. Going a bit darker and a more mottled look, i.e. two colors in the fibers.

Here's a sample of one of the colors I'm considering:

For some reason, the two places I had come measure don't seem to be in a rush to get my business - have not received a quote. So I'm going to a third place. This one I think will be the one. The carpet above is Karastan and not everyplace carries it. Expensive so I need to see the quote before I commit to that one, although I really like it. I have changed my mind and will be doing the dressing room and second bedroom first. To be cont'd...

Last edited by MsPerky; 11-15-2018 at 06:42 AM.
Old 11-16-2018, 02:17 PM

^^^ I find that infuriating.
I've been communicating with a car dealer in Hilton Head about a vehicle.
I had filled out a query form. their tool seems to be real good at sending out automated emails.
The only issue is they seem to ignore my responses.
I had responded with a few questions about the car;
what tires does it have on it?
How much would the extended warranty be? etc.
pretty simple easy to answer quantitative responses.
Their response: Hi are there any questions we can answer for you?
Old 11-16-2018, 04:04 PM

Received 2,766 Likes on 1,626 Posts

Hmmm another car purchase? What are you looking at?
Old 11-17-2018, 09:10 AM

just an SUV.
Old 12-10-2018, 05:27 AM

For some reason, the two places I had come measure don't seem to be in a rush to get my business - have not received a quote. So I'm going to a third place. This one I think will be the one. The carpet above is Karastan and not everyplace carries it. Expensive so I need to see the quote before I commit to that one, although I really like it. I have changed my mind and will be doing the dressing room and second bedroom first. To be cont'd...
Third time is the charm. I'm going with the company that gave me the quote. Just have to decide between these two colors - leaning toward the second because it goes better with the furniture/tile in the rooms:

Old 01-19-2019, 08:55 AM

^ The second one is the choice...signed the contract and having the work done the week of Mar 4. Can't wait. The old carpet is a disaster.

Today the +1 recaulked part of the shower floor in the new bath. For some reason (I'm guessing not thick enough), the old caulk started to look rusty and come out in spots. Fortunately, I had a tube of leftover caulk (it's a silver gray, not white). Just had to walk up the street to the hardware to get a caulking gun. Did not know it comes with a smoothing tool and caps to put on the caulk to keep it fresh. He did a great job - very meticulous.
Old 01-19-2019, 11:01 AM

Received 4,951 Likes on 3,003 Posts

^ The second one is the choice...signed the contract and having the work done the week of Mar 4. Can't wait. The old carpet is a disaster.

Today the +1 recaulked part of the shower floor in the new bath. For some reason (I'm guessing not thick enough), the old caulk started to look rusty and come out in spots. Fortunately, I had a tube of leftover caulk (it's a silver gray, not white). Just had to walk up the street to the hardware to get a caulking gun. Did not know it comes with a smoothing tool and caps to put on the caulk to keep it fresh. He did a great job - very meticulous.
A nice trick if you are doing a lot of caulking is to place the caulk in a pan of warm water, that softens it up so it comes out flowing like butter.
Old 03-03-2019, 12:31 PM

Carpet above goes in Tues...can't wait to get rid of the dirty, yucky carpet that is here now. The apt is a mess with stuff from the computer/TV room everywhere there is space. Hope to never have to do this again, but it should look lovely when done. Will post pics.

Quick Reply: The remodeling/home improvement thread