S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Vintage Owners (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-vintage-owners-117/)
-   -   Retirement plan status (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-vintage-owners-117/retirement-plan-status-1169199/)

Legal Bill 02-16-2017 04:04 PM

Retirement plan status

So where do you stand in terms of your retirement plan? If you are already retired, are things working out as planned? If you have not retired yet, are you on track?

I think I'm in good shape financially, but I still have the big house and have not even come close to starting the downsizing process. Also, I still have not picked a retirement date. Maybe the end of this year? Maybe the end of next year? I don't think there is much chance that I'll go to 65.

So how is your plan?

Lainey 02-16-2017 04:31 PM

Still saving, wishing and a hopin'.

Rick will likely continue to 66, maybe 66 1/2. Once he retires, I'm hoping to cut my hours a bit without losing health insurance, we'll see if that can work for a while.

Conedodger 02-16-2017 05:04 PM

I'm a a year off my plan. My plan from my first day of work was to retire at 55. I turned 55 in December and I'm still working. My wife was laid off in 2008 and has been bouncing around from contract to contract since then, so our retirement accounts aren't quite where we had hoped they would be. By working an extra year, we will have 1 more year of savings, 1 more year of income, 1 more year before drawing on our investments. In addition, the house will be paid for at the end of the year. I've been at the same job for 33 years and the company I work for is having some difficulties and are making cut backs. There are rumors of a voluntary separation. If a package is offered, I just may retire this year! :fingerscrossed:

Lainey 02-16-2017 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Conedodger (Post 24155303)
I'm a a year off my plan. My plan from my first day of work was to retire at 55. I turned 55 in December and I'm still working. My wife was laid off in 2008 and has been bouncing around from contract to contract since then, so our retirement accounts aren't quite where we had hoped they would be. By working an extra year, we will have 1 more year of savings, 1 more year of income, 1 more year before drawing on our investments. In addition, the house will be paid for at the end of the year. I've been at the same job for 33 years and the company I work for is having some difficulties and are making cut backs. There are rumors of a voluntary separation. If a package is offered, I just may retire this year! :fingerscrossed:

What about health insurance if you retire this young?

Scooterboy 02-16-2017 05:36 PM

My plan was to work until at least 66 but with having gone through heart surgery I decided to go a year early. I was able to go on the +1's insurance until this summer then I need to get my Medicare part B and a supplement. Financially between the +1's and my savings we will be comfortable. With her retirement (coming this summer), my SS and the interest off our investments we should be just fine.

MAGGIEMAE 02-16-2017 06:26 PM

Heading into Year 6 of retirement and loving every minute :LOL: Do not know I found time to work all those years :cool:

NNY S2k 02-17-2017 02:24 AM

^^^Come May it will be 6 yrs. for me too.
Levi

PokS2k 02-17-2017 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by NNY S2k (Post 24155448)
^^^Come May it will be 6 yrs. for me too.
Levi

Time flies. I remember when you were talking about retirement.

Legal Bill 02-17-2017 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by MAGGIEMAE (Post 24155338)
Heading into Year 6 of retirement and loving every minute :LOL: Do not know I found time to work all those years :cool:

would you say retirement has gone as expected or are you surprised by anything?

Conedodger 02-17-2017 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by Lainey (Post 24155313)
What about health insurance if you retire this young?

The mortgage payment becomes the health insurance payment. :(