S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Retirement plan status

Old 04-20-2018, 02:48 AM

Received 158 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Legal Bill
The Taylor and the Elijah Craig are either your favorites or represent a lack of diversity in the thinking of your circle of gift givers.
The EC's are all different batch numbers, so they all have slightly different tastes and proofs. By the end of next week, there will be two more bottles of the EC A118 batch. Friend of mine in Columbus found them in Pittsburgh a couple of weeks ago!

There are 3 different EHT's on the shelf, single barrel, small batch and rye. Still trying to find their Barrel Proof and their Four Grain.

And yes, I really like all of those, but hard to find, so when I see them, I stock up on them.

Stop by and try a few!
Old 08-02-2018, 07:19 PM

Received 4,947 Likes on 3,001 Posts

This is the best advice summary I’ve ever read on the Keys to Retirement Happiness

The financial investment company Vanguard just posted the advice of Michael Finke, a leading researcher in retirement planning. Michael’s study is unique because it focuses on retirement well-being from an emotional standpoint, not exclusively from a financial perspective. I don’t think many finance companies would emphasize that happiness is not measured by the size of your investment account.

His 3 keys to retirement happiness are:

Money is just a number

First, “money is just money.” During our working years, we make saving for retirement a priority. Many people focus on achieving a monetary goal, such as saving a specific dollar amount or accumulating a nest egg of a specific size. When we get there, it’s really not the money itself that makes us happy but rather how we spend the money. Essentially, money is an enabler to happiness.

If you use your money for the activities you enjoy or spend it with others, for example, you’ll be happier. Spending money on “things” isn’t necessarily an input to happiness.

Retire in good company

Second, “love the one you’re with.” Personal relationships are very important in retirement because you have more free time. During our working years, we spend many of our waking hours with co-workers, clients, customers, or patients, or on the road. A big part of our social network is tied to the workplace. When we retire, though, we have the freedom to choose with whom we spend our time.

Surprisingly, being close to friends accounts for greater happiness than living close to your kids. Couples who live within 10 miles of their children are significantly less happy. According to Michael’s findings, this is often because only 1 spouse drives the decision to move, or the couple has unrealistic expectations about living close to their grown kids.

Stay healthy to be happy

Third, “if you have your health, you have it all.” This is a factor we can’t completely control, but it can help us realize the importance of maintaining our health during our working years. Health is a key to happiness (and a blessing!) at any stage in life, but it becomes even more important in retirement.
Old 08-03-2018, 06:12 AM

Received 133 Likes on 85 Posts

Dave, great advice. Those have proven to be very key in my retirement.
Old 08-03-2018, 06:37 PM

Received 2,763 Likes on 1,624 Posts

Sounds good to me, Dave.
Old 08-04-2018, 06:23 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

^^^
I also agree. That is indeed terrific advice.
Old 08-04-2018, 06:43 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Zippy
Agreed, the issue is "insurance". Since we have a for profit health system, way too many parties now stand between you and your doctor, my favorite "new" one is the benefits manager. It seems that they are a new layer in the for profit system, another layer, just what we need more people getting paid so that we can have health care.
Well put. Sometimes I wonder if we should just "outlaw" health insurance companies, inasmuch they seem to be taking $$$ out of health care instead of actually improving our care.
Old 08-05-2018, 03:20 PM

Received 4,947 Likes on 3,001 Posts

Originally Posted by Len44
Well put. Sometimes I wonder if we should just "outlaw" health insurance companies, inasmuch they seem to be taking $$$ out of health care instead of actually improving our care.
Why would you say that? We recently had an $8,000 bill and our insurance company paid $20 towards it. Thankfully, medicare paid almost all of it.
Old 09-09-2018, 05:33 AM

Received 2,596 Likes on 1,571 Posts

There is something called the Global Retirement Index, which ranks countries in terms of how "happy" you would be according to a number of criteria. The US ranks 16. If you want to relocate, you need to go to:

10. Netherlands
09. Canada
08. Denmark
07. Ireland
06. Australia
05. New Zealand
04. Sweden
03. Norway
02. Iceland
01. Switzerland
Old 09-09-2018, 05:46 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Not that we're planning to move anywhere [except New Hampshire in about 1-1/2 years] but if we were to move out of the USA we'd go to Canada.... Near Ottawa.
Lived and worked in that area for a year in the 60's and loved it.
Old 09-09-2018, 05:54 AM

Received 133 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04
Why would you say that? We recently had an $8,000 bill and our insurance company paid $20 towards it. Thankfully, medicare paid almost all of it.
I think the point is, we spend a lot of time talking about insurance, when there might be a much better system for supplying healthcare. Personally, I do not want insurance, I want health care, for all.

Quick Reply: Retirement plan status