S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Retirement plan status

Old 03-25-2019, 04:24 PM

Received 1,104 Likes on 700 Posts

Lainey,
would you try to post a synopsis of your day at the end of your day this week? I'm curious how the training is going, if you had any special interactions with customers, or other workers, and how you feel as you get closer to Friday. I think all the regulars here in Vintage, myself included, would like to share this last week of work with you. And this will never come up again, that's for sure.
Not asking for anything too personal, and if you don't feel like it, no worries. Thought it might be interesting, and would go well with this thread.
Old 03-25-2019, 05:19 PM

Received 2,744 Likes on 1,619 Posts

Originally Posted by Morris
Lainey,
would you try to post a synopsis of your day at the end of your day this week? I'm curious how the training is going, if you had any special interactions with customers, or other workers, and how you feel as you get closer to Friday. I think all the regulars here in Vintage, myself included, would like to share this last week of work with you. And this will never come up again, that's for sure.
Not asking for anything too personal, and if you don't feel like it, no worries. Thought it might be interesting, and would go well with this thread.
Nice of you to ask.

I've had some calls and visits from some vendors and customers wishing me well . A heartfelt "you will be missed" from a commercial fishing vessel owner with whom I've done business for 30+ years was appreciated. A hug from a pleasure craft owner with thanks for all I've done also felt good. Got a retirement card today from a vendor in NJ whom I've only met once, but have spoken with quite a few times over the years, that was sweet.

There were over 90 applicants for my job. Not sure how many were qualified, it was narrowed down. My .02 was not requested. I thought that a bit odd, but maybe not. The duties of a "one girl office" are many. For reasons I don't totally get,( there is an objective which I may/may not agree with)purchasing /inventory skills were more focused on during the hiring process vs bookkeeping skills/experience. When processing Payroll the mention of a General Ledger entry was met with a That took me by surprise....The replacement has experience in AR, AP and purchasing, but not GL, nor had she processed Payroll in the way we do through ADP, nor has she used the same bookkeeping software. I didn't expect to have to teach Bookkeeping 101. I'm pretty much glossing over that with the "debits need to equal credits". Yes the general manager can manage bookkeeping entries, but still. There was no discussion of what the training should include, so I'm just going through daily tasks of billing, purchasing, paying bills, processing payroll and whatever else comes up.

My replacement (who is just a bit younger than I am) is asking appropriate questions, taking notes, seems to catch on quickly enough; explaining, showing, processing is taking some time and it's tiring. Toss in using a new to me payroll platform and I've been "pegging the fun meter."

Learning who is who as far as vendors/customers will take time. I've barely had time to discuss the pleasure craft storage, hauling, launching, aspect of the business and the boat customers are starting to call.

I'm planning on leaving Friday by early afternoon.....Rick and I are going to lunch and I may even have a drink.

Since you won't be at Spring Fling, sending you a PM.
Old 03-25-2019, 05:38 PM

Received 2,963 Likes on 1,649 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey
Nice of you to ask.

I've had some calls and visits from some vendors and customers wishing me well . A heartfelt "you will be missed" from a commercial fishing vessel owner with whom I've done business for 30+ years was appreciated. A hug from a pleasure craft owner with thanks for all I've done also felt good. Got a retirement card today from a vendor in NJ whom I've only met once, but have spoken with quite a few times over the years, that was sweet.

There were over 90 applicants for my job. Not sure how many were qualified, it was narrowed down. My .02 was not requested. I thought that a bit odd, but maybe not. The duties of a "one girl office" are many. For reasons I don't totally get,( there is an objective which I may/may not agree with)purchasing /inventory skills were more focused on during the hiring process vs bookkeeping skills/experience. When processing Payroll the mention of a General Ledger entry was met with a That took me by surprise....The replacement has experience in AR, AP and purchasing, but not GL, nor had she processed Payroll in the way we do through ADP, nor has she used the same bookkeeping software. I didn't expect to have to teach Bookkeeping 101. I'm pretty much glossing over that with the "debits need to equal credits". Yes the general manager can manage bookkeeping entries, but still. There was no discussion of what the training should include, so I'm just going through daily tasks of billing, purchasing, paying bills, processing payroll and whatever else comes up.

My replacement (who is just a bit younger than I am) is asking appropriate questions, taking notes, seems to catch on quickly enough; explaining, showing, processing is taking some time and it's tiring. Toss in using a new to me payroll platform and I've been "pegging the fun meter."

Learning who is who as far as vendors/customers will take time. I've barely had time to discuss the pleasure craft storage, hauling, launching, aspect of the business and the boat customers are starting to call.

I'm planning on leaving Friday by early afternoon.....Rick and I are going to lunch and I may even have a drink.

Since you won't be at Spring Fling, sending you a PM.
^I'm glad you posted this. It is interesting to me. I never worked at a paying job for more than 3 years.

I've only trained others for two jobs over my "work" experience. The first training was easy as it was just using punch cards to run a huge computer program that mapped the noise form airplanes taking off and landing at airports, in 1980. I had to learn it all the hard way with a horrible bitch of a Czechoslovakian cheating, bitch boss, so I made it super easy for my replacement. I had to train about ten volunteers as a surgery waiting room liaison between families and the surgery staff as we had 10 positions and I was the chairperson. The most that would take was three shifts of four hours, or twelve hours. Nothing technical there but it had more to do with personality and being kind and caring. Two got "fired" in my ten years there for messing things up.
Old 03-25-2019, 05:50 PM

Thanks, Patty.

In the past I've trained people for jobs I was doing, or part of a job I was doing, but I wear many hats with this job. It's a lot to squish into two weeks of training.
Old 03-25-2019, 05:54 PM

Received 2,963 Likes on 1,649 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey
Thanks, Patty.

Probably said more than I generally would on a public forum, but I guess at this point it doesn't matter.

In the past I've trained people for jobs I was doing, or part of a job I was doing, but I wear many hats with this job. It's a lot to squish into two weeks of training.
You'll be relieved from being done with training maybe more than being done with the job.
Old 03-25-2019, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by Kyras
You'll be relieved from being done with training maybe more than being done with the job.
Well, not quite....but
Old 03-26-2019, 03:51 AM

Received 116 Likes on 77 Posts

When I left my company I advised my mgt. team that they should have my replacement onboard to work on the third quarter close since they would be doing the 4th quarter without me. This worked out well since we had 3 months to train.
Old 03-26-2019, 05:02 AM

Received 4,929 Likes on 2,989 Posts

Thankfully I did not have to train a replacement, as such. When I left they separated up my work and gave it to three other people who I'd worked with for years in the various areas. None were thrilled but that's how companies downsize. Lainey I am sure the reality is starting to hit. Take away the good memories and enjoy the new life.
Old 03-26-2019, 07:51 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

One last week of wakes. You must be getting excited!!
Old 03-26-2019, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by Legal Bill
One last week of wakes. You must be getting excited!!
Three more required 6:15 wakes ups!

My Zumba ladies sent me a beautiful basket of flowers today.

Quick Reply: Retirement plan status