S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Retirement plan status

Old 02-19-2017, 06:56 AM

Received 133 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Heyitsgary
Ken- I did that when I was house shopping years ago. Actually looking at expenses and what they would become post home ownership. This helped me realize that if I wanted to have a life along with a house, I should get a bit less house than my pre-approved amount the bank wanted me to use.

For retirement, I may have misspoke. I'm guessing it's probably closer to the expense ratio when working vs. retirement as compared to income in/out during retirement. OR, maybe it's all really the same, just how you spin the question. If I have X in retirement principle and I have Y available to me each year, and I spend Z in expenses. Do I have enough to cover that for N(umber) of years. Flipped, it's -- I expect to spend Z each year during retirement, based on X principle and Y available each year, can I sustain for N years.

I guess it's better thinking and preparing than not. Maybe that's the bottom line.
It does tend to be a bit convoluted. We used the actuarial table to guess life expectancy (in my case 88+/- and then used a combination of projected growth of investments coupled to inflation. We tried to fully understand what our spending habits would be in 10 and 20 years. Our advisors discussed the three "levels" of retirement spending, and this is especially true for those who get out a little early. The three spending periods of retirement, the go-go period, when you first retire and you want to travel (or buy a house at the beach), the slo-go period, where you spend a bit more time just being retired, and the no-go time, when you spend much of your time not doing much of anything (like travel). We tried to put some time frames and numbers on that, and that's how we got to the what we believe ids the right timing.
Old 02-19-2017, 02:24 PM

Received 4,950 Likes on 3,002 Posts

Originally Posted by Zippy
The three spending periods of retirement, the go-go period, when you first retire and you want to travel (or buy a house at the beach), the slo-go period, where you spend a bit more time just being retired, and the no-go time, when you spend much of your time not doing much of anything (like travel).
Never heard it put like that but its really true.
Old 02-19-2017, 06:54 PM

Received 193 Likes on 166 Posts

I carried a lot of people on my back for a lot of years. Age 69 and still working, but the load is lighter.

My problem is that I still want to "be in the world".
Old 02-21-2017, 06:55 AM

Received 464 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04
Never heard it put like that but its really true.
Old 02-21-2017, 07:16 AM

Received 1,424 Likes on 954 Posts

Originally Posted by blueosprey90
I carried a lot of people on my back for a lot of years. Age 69 and still working, but the load is lighter.

I hear what you say. Guess there are cars, guitars, and military history (and all the websites) to keep me awake. And of course, family.
Old 02-21-2017, 08:02 AM

Received 2,764 Likes on 1,625 Posts

Had a long weekend and "practiced" for retirement. Kept busy on Saturday with the Y, the grandson, dinner with friends. Sunday we had beautiful weather so Rick and I were out and about, I was and we had lunch in our travels.

Yesterday I went to the Y in the AM, had social hour with the Y ladies, went home for lunch, did errands, puttered around the house a bit, and went back to the Y in the evening for another class. I had some downtime in between and can't sit and watch TV in the middle of the day. If I am to be retired at some point I will have to be sure I have enough to keep me busy during the day. Winter weather can make that difficult.
Old 02-21-2017, 08:03 AM

Received 133 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by blueosprey90

Believe me, I am in the world everyday. I do volunteer work, I do woodworking, go to the movies, and I just do the things that strike my fancy. Retirement is what you make it. But if you like to work, more power to you, I prefer to have my time for me.
Old 02-21-2017, 08:19 AM

^
I like the idea of spending some time doing volunteer work...maybe a few hours in the afternoon. Will look into what interests me when the time comes.
Old 02-21-2017, 11:03 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

I have been thinking about the volunteer thing. I had a sister with Down Syndrome. There is a local GiGi's Playhouse opening here this spring for people with Down Syndrome that I'm sure could use some help.

"GiGi’s Playhouse is an inspirational and dedicated place for families to celebrate their child and benefit from free programs that unleash joy, confidence and continuous improvement."

https://gigisplayhouse.org/
Old 02-21-2017, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Conedodger
I have been thinking about the volunteer thing. I had a sister with Down Syndrome. There is a local GiGi's Playhouse opening here this spring for people with Down Syndrome that I'm sure could use some help.

"GiGi’s Playhouse is an inspirational and dedicated place for families to celebrate their child and benefit from free programs that unleash joy, confidence and continuous improvement."

https://gigisplayhouse.org/
Nice, I had a cousin with Down's syndrome. Sweetest person you'd ever meet.

I've done some volunteer work back in the day at an English as a second language class. Next time, I'm thinking animal shelter. Maybe they need someone to take pictures of the animals up for adoption.....I'd give that a try.

Quick Reply: Retirement plan status