S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Ring doorbell

Old 12-14-2018, 07:31 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts
Default Ring doorbell

Do you have one of these?

https://shop.ring.com/collections/vi...Kl_4oxYIR92G8c

I was about to pull the trigger, but it occurred to me that anyone could just come up and steal the thing off your house or hit with a hammer. What am I missing?
Old 12-14-2018, 07:35 AM

Received 2,742 Likes on 1,617 Posts

Nope, just another gadget I don't need. My doorbell rings on Halloween. That's OK. I don't have any friends who use my front door. If the doorbell rings, someone is trying to sell us something, we often peek out and don't even answer the door. I also don't need to turn on my lights from my phone. We have an old fashioned timer that turns on lights when we aren't home.

The world has gone gadget crazy!
Old 12-14-2018, 09:11 AM

Received 2,958 Likes on 1,644 Posts

I ordered one from Costco for my CA house but haven't been back there to install it yet. My sister has one in Colorado Springs and it's great. She can be camping miles away and see who's at the door. She can talk to them. They have no clue she's not in the house. I don't need one in CO and the only reasons I bought one for CA is that Costco had them on sale and the doorbell there had just died.

Oh, and yes, they can be stolen but they'll take images before they get yanked.
Old 12-14-2018, 10:39 AM
Community Organizer

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Legal Bill

I was about to pull the trigger, but it occurred to me that anyone could just come up and steal the thing off your house or hit with a hammer. What am I missing?
Then you get a free replacement. :P

https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/ar...vice-is-Stolen
Old 12-14-2018, 11:17 AM

Received 1,553 Likes on 922 Posts

For a little bit more, you can get the real deal. A dedicated hard drive that stores all the video, comes with connectivity, a bunch of real weatherproof cameras you can hardwire or keep wireless and place in a spot to make it difficult to vandalize. You can set up motion detection or activate another trigger.

They run about $800 at Costco. A bit more time to set up than what I think is a “chick doorbell camera” but you end up with something that is not temporary and that can serve as a deterrent and an asset when that deterrent does not work.
Old 12-18-2018, 02:33 AM

Received 116 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Legal Bill

We have a Vivint security system, it includes a doorbell with a camera. If someone approaches the porch it starts recording before the person gets to the doorbell. If someone were to break it or rip it off, they were already video taped.

One nice thing is we also get alerts on our phones whenever someone comes to the porch. Recently we were out shopping and we were alerted that therevwas a visitor, we saw it was a delivery that was left on the porch. I knew it was expensive electronics and wanted it inside, we called a neighbor across the street to ask them to put it in our hallway. I was able to unlock the front door for her so she could put the package inside and locked the door when she was done.
Old 12-18-2018, 03:12 AM

Received 695 Likes on 471 Posts

We use Jesus to protect our home. He is a 50# Pit Bull with an attitude.
Old 12-18-2018, 03:47 AM

Received 3,498 Likes on 2,365 Posts

Originally Posted by S2KRAY
We use Jesus to protect our home. He is a 50# Pit Bull with an attitude.
We replaced our front door last year and the top half is glass now.
When anyone comes to the front door they will see Titan's head looking at them through the glass.
About then they would realize he still has all four feet still on the floor.
Old 12-18-2018, 04:27 AM

Received 2,742 Likes on 1,617 Posts

Originally Posted by PokS2k

We have a Vivint security system, it includes a doorbell with a camera. If someone approaches the porch it starts recording before the person gets to the doorbell. If someone were to break it or rip it off, they were already video taped.

One nice thing is we also get alerts on our phones whenever someone comes to the porch. Recently we were out shopping and we were alerted that therevwas a visitor, we saw it was a delivery that was left on the porch. I knew it was expensive electronics and wanted it inside, we called a neighbor across the street to ask them to put it in our hallway. I was able to unlock the front door for her so she could put the package inside and locked the door when she was done.
I'll admit that is cool. Just have your packages shipped to my house. I'll take good care of the expensive electronics.
Old 12-18-2018, 07:00 AM

Received 4,926 Likes on 2,987 Posts

My security system is to live in a safe neighborhood.

Quick Reply: Ring doorbell