S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Ring doorbell

Old 12-18-2018, 08:23 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04
My security system is to live in a safe neighborhood.
Works for me. Nice country neighborhood, houses set way back from the street and neighbors who are either retired, or stay at home Moms that keep an eye on things. I've replaced a mailbox or two due to vandals, but no other issues in 25+ years.
Old 12-18-2018, 08:34 AM

Received 3,804 Likes on 3,029 Posts

My neighborhood is about 95% second homes and I am one of the 5% full timers so a thief is going to choose my house last.
Old 12-18-2018, 09:17 AM

Received 2,984 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04
My security system is to live in a safe neighborhood.
That's how it is for me in Colorado.
Old 12-18-2018, 10:41 AM

Received 1,193 Likes on 926 Posts

Originally Posted by cosmomiller
For a little bit more, you can get the real deal. A dedicated hard drive that stores all the video, comes with connectivity, a bunch of real weatherproof cameras you can hardwire or keep wireless and place in a spot to make it difficult to vandalize. You can set up motion detection or activate another trigger.

They run about $800 at Costco. A bit more time to set up than what I think is a “chick doorbell camera” but you end up with something that is not temporary and that can serve as a deterrent and an asset when that deterrent does not work.
For $10 per month and $350ish you can get a full Ring alarm system and monthly monitoring .. that is the only reason I am looking at Ring.They dont just sell fancy doorbells :P
Old 12-18-2018, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Kyras
That's how it is for me in Colorado.
Until it is not. thieves dont target ghettos, they target nice neighborhoods with houses full of fancy stuff.

I lived in an expensive apartment complex with underground parking, in a very nice neighborhood for a while. Virtually no crime around there ... till someone hit every car in every parking garage, including mine one night. Cops said the same thing, thieves know where to find nice stuff, so that is where they go.
VP of the company I work for just had their neighborhood hit. Has not heard of a break in for the 30 years he has lived there. 5-6 houses were just hit, cause no one had security, cause ... "Safe neighborhood"

Sucks, but eventually your neighborhood will be hit. It is almost inevitable.

But really, the part that made me first get a security system was when, back in my home town, miles outside of town, in a nice country area with folks that all knew each other, some guys performed a home invasion robbery and shot the father, who was even complying with their commands. They did spare the wife and kids, but he died. Being someone with a wife and kid and a job that had me travelling 70%, I felt it was best to do what I could and got a system with some monitoring. Again, in the example here, the last news was they thought it was related to a string of home invasions in another small town but being performed by a group out of KC who would target small towns where people felt they were safe and let their guard down.
Old 12-18-2018, 11:02 AM

Received 352 Likes on 209 Posts

65% of home burglaries occur when folks are at work and the home is unoccupied and between 6AM and 6PM. So, as retirees where the home is fully occupied for 90% of the year, the odds of burglary plummet. We have a motion detector camera in front and rear with wireless alerts. That's as far as I'm going to go for added security.
Old 12-18-2018, 11:04 AM

Received 2,763 Likes on 1,624 Posts

Originally Posted by engifineer
Until it is not. thieves dont target ghettos, they target nice neighborhoods with houses full of fancy stuff.

Sucks, but eventually your neighborhood will be hit. It is almost inevitable.
Probably true. Our house and our neighborhood are far from fancy. Starter homes, so to speak. I don't expect our neighborhood to be targeted, and so far we've been lucky. However, an Amazon box on the porch can be tempting to some folks in any neighborhood. Still not rushing out to buy any fancy door bells or security system.
Old 12-18-2018, 11:32 AM

Received 3,510 Likes on 2,375 Posts

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-46604625

And then there is always retribution.
Old 12-18-2018, 11:44 AM
Former Moderator

Received 610 Likes on 373 Posts

We have security systems in place in both locations. And the neighborhood watch groups. Still, there aren’t any guarantees.
Old 12-18-2018, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Lainey
Probably true. Our house and our neighborhood are far from fancy. Starter homes, so to speak. I don't expect our neighborhood to be targeted, and so far we've been lucky. However, an Amazon box on the porch can be tempting to some folks in any neighborhood. Still not rushing out to buy any fancy door bells or security system.
You should do what this guy did! Never steal from a geek!

https://gizmodo.com/former-nasa-engi...-to-1831172524

I saw the full video on youtube that he made before the story came out on the news. The reactions of the thieves were hilarious ... and the fart spray emitter made sure they ditched the package after!

Quick Reply: Ring doorbell