S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Ringing in the New Year 2019

Old 12-29-2018, 03:49 AM

Received 2,585 Likes on 1,566 Posts
Default Ringing in the New Year 2019

Another year has passed. How did it go for you and what do you look forward to in the new year? Any plans for NYE? We will be celebrating with the International Club of DC again, this time at the famous Willard Hotel. Should be fun - five bands and nightclub with a DJ. Sit-down dinner. New Year's Day I'm trying out a new recipe for Greek meatballs over orzo. Plan for it to be yummy. Prolly should make Hoppin' John, too, at some point.

Overall, we had a pretty good year. Highlights were our river cruise in France and my nephew's wedding in Chicago. Hoping to get the +1's son graduated from college in May. It's taken awhile. We will be in Memphis for that, where the Memphis in May blues fest will also be going on.

Here's to a happy and healthy 2019 for all of us!

Last edited by MsPerky; 12-29-2018 at 03:57 AM.
Old 12-29-2018, 06:58 AM

Received 322 Likes on 273 Posts

No plans here, will probably watch the New Year come in on TV......if we stay awake that long.
Levi
Old 12-29-2018, 07:01 AM
Former Moderator

Received 610 Likes on 373 Posts

Thanks, Deb! +1 Chris and I also had a great year. Highlights of our year include our daughter Stephanie’s wonderful wedding in January. In the spring, after driving the S eastward to Spring Fling, I spent a great deal of time in Colorado, working on a tear drop trailer to pull behind the new Jeep Rubicon - up to the Arctic ocean. Chris went to Peru in July, hiking with friends up to Machu Pichu. I spent July on a great road trip to the Yukon, and Northwest Territories in Canada; and across to Alaska. The cabin in Colorado flooded, but overall it was a great year. In September I had a former student and her colleague at the Universität des Saarlandes for a wonderful visit in Colorado - and did some Jeeping in the San Juans. Great memories and many blessings to count.

Chris is flying up from Houston today, and we plan to celebrate the beginning of the new year here in Durango with long time friends who retired here.

Happy New Year, everybody. Und einen guten Rutsch ins Neue Jahr!
Old 12-29-2018, 02:51 PM

Received 3,500 Likes on 2,367 Posts

I am really looking forward to 2019.
I finally feel pretty good. It will be interesting to see where it goes.
Barb is planning a London trip, maybe i'll meet her in Scotland and we can go chase a little white ball.
Old 12-29-2018, 03:04 PM

Received 697 Likes on 473 Posts

We go to a great steak restaurant (1776) every year with close friends. Then we go home have a night cap and go to bed before the ball drops. We are looking forward to 2019. We are selling our home and down sizing to a home we really like. It has an oversize 2 car garage, perfect for my detailing business. Oh, and the rest of the house is nice too.
Old 12-29-2018, 04:22 PM

Received 1,104 Likes on 700 Posts

The +1 & I will be celebrating New Years Eve on the marina in Singapore, where we arrived yesterday. Still recovering from the 20 hour flight.
In four days we start a cruise to Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam, our big trip for 2018 and 2019, combined.
Happy New Year Vintage peeps.
Old 12-29-2018, 04:24 PM

Received 1,403 Likes on 763 Posts

Originally Posted by S2KRAY
We go to a great steak restaurant (1776) every year with close friends. Then we go home have a night cap and go to bed before the ball drops. We are looking forward to 2019. We are selling our home and down sizing to a home we really like. It has an oversize 2 car garage, perfect for my detailing business. Oh, and the rest of the house is nice too.
Are you staying in Lewes, Ray?
Old 12-29-2018, 05:46 PM

Received 2,966 Likes on 1,651 Posts

Originally Posted by MsPerky
Another year has passed. How did it go for you and what do you look forward to in the new year? Any plans for NYE?
I liked living within driving distance of my daughter, son and sister, this year, in Colorado. I had some great growing/learning experiences with my kids, getting much closer than we used to be. I love the scenery and variety in the weather in Colorado. I felt confused going back and forth to my California house, Ricky, and my cats, Talia and Zion. As the year went by I wanted to go there less and less. But now, it's so cold in Colorado that I'm starting to hibernate. It's a good thing I have a volunteer job that I enjoy going to. I can go to my son and daughter-in-law's New Year's Eve party but probably won't. It's their friends and it's an effort for me to be sociable when I don't really want to be. I made a new friend volunteering and that's been nice. I don't have anything special planned for 2019.

Last edited by Kyras; 12-30-2018 at 08:21 AM.
Old 12-29-2018, 06:38 PM

Received 2,746 Likes on 1,620 Posts

We're doing OK. Rick's retirement in 2018 was likely the highlight of his year. He does not miss working at all, even on the days that keep him indoors. We are all healthy as are our family members. One family member had surgery for lung cancer which was detected VERY EARLY. She needs no additional treatment and has an excellent prognosis. We are most thankful for that.
The Granddaughter got early acceptance in the nursing program of the college that is her first choice. She is most excited and we are proud of her.

Planning on attending Spring Fling and have made reservations in the Smoky Mountain area for a June road trip.

I may join Rick in retirement a little sooner than we planned. Stay tuned.
Old 12-29-2018, 07:13 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

2018 went by in a flash and was very eventful. Barbara's hip replacement was really the focal point. She still improves with each passing week, so that is good. My son got divorced and that was sad. But he is with someone else now and I hope it works out for him. My daughter got married to a lovely woman (no typo there) and they used my Healey in the wedding. I had a good trip up to Whistler and Vancouver. Remarkable geography up there and I would love to go back some day. The fishing was mediocre but I still had many great adventures on the water with family and friends. I sold my 18' cabin boat for cash as I posted about elsewhere. The new-to-me 21 foot Parker was acquired in November and I can't wait to try it out this spring. I just posted about my own medical problems which were diagnosed earlier this month. I'm hopeful that it won't be a big deal and that I'll be fully capable six weeks after the surgery. I'll be working full time until June and then I'm taking the summer off. I'll go back as needed in the fall to wrap things up at work and retire at the end of 2019.

Quick Reply: Ringing in the New Year 2019