Ringing in the New Year 2019 - Page 3 - S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

Go Back  S2KI Honda S2000 Forums > Special Interest > S2000 Vintage Owners
Reload this Page >

Ringing in the New Year 2019

Notices
S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Ringing in the New Year 2019

Old 12-30-2018, 09:23 AM

I'm enjoying ready everyone's posts.
Old 12-30-2018, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Morris View Post
Rob, I missed something somewhere. I thought you went out on your own years ago, my thinking was 2010 or since then. Did you just change firms or am I getting senile?
No, you're not getting senile. Not yet anyway. I did go out on my own years ago but my practice didn't develop as fast as I wanted so I aligned with a firm. I spent the last number of years with them as a director/senior manager but things didn't develop the way I expected and I really started to dislike the direction of the firm in the last few years. I thought I should have become a partner and they thought differently so in August I decided to leave. What it came down to was that they didn't want to share when I was doing everything a partner would do except sharing in the profits. Because a number of the clients (individuals and not for profits) were on extension I didn't think it right to leave before those were finalized. The last day of the extension period was November 15th (for the not for profits) and I left November 16th.

Because its 8 years later and I'm 8 years older I don't want to work the 60 hour weeks that I was working (more like 90 hour weeks in tax season). I'm working out of my home and I intend to have a much smaller practice. This time around I intend to try to find a balance between work and leisure time. I'm old enough but not quite ready to retire (I don't think I'll ever be) but I do want to spend more time with Liz and doing some of the things I've always wanted to do. As I said, for the first time in the 36 years that we've been married I'm having breakfast with my wife and enjoying it.

So, among everything else I feel like my 2019 is getting off to a good start. Now that I'm on my own, I'm happier than I've been in a long time.

Last edited by ralper; 12-30-2018 at 09:48 AM.
Old 12-30-2018, 09:48 AM

^I'm really happy for you and Liz, Rob.
Old 12-30-2018, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by Kyras View Post
^I'm really happy for you and Liz, Rob.
Thank you. A happy, healthy and prosperous New Year to you and everyone here in Vintage.
Old 12-30-2018, 12:40 PM
tof

In 2018 I lost my Dad. He was 89 and lived a very interesting and active life right up to the end. I will miss him terribly. Sandy lost her mom back in April after a long period of declining health. I miss my mother-in-law too.

In 2018 we learned that we have a second grandchild on the way. Very exciting news for us, for our son and daughter in law, and for their two year old son who is very excited to learn he will soon have a sibling to pick on.

Looking forward to Sandy's retirement in 2019 which will allow us to visit our far-flung families more often.

Oh, and AJ might take a new position with his company that would relocate him to Monterey, CA. and let him do some off shore work on a NAVO research vessel, something he is very excited about as it would get him out from behind his desk a few months a year. Maybe I'll finally get to cross Monterey Car Week off my bucket list.
Old 12-30-2018, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by MsPerky View Post
I'm making black eyed peas for Hoppin' John in the crockpot today in anticipation of the New Year. Southern tradition that is supposed to bring luck. I'm spreading the luck to everyone!
Black eyed peas turned out yummy. Put country ham pieces in them.
Old 12-30-2018, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by jukngene View Post
You can really tell it's close to New Years by the ads you see on TV: Weight Watchers, NutriSystem, BowFlex, etc. Time to start those new years resolutions! (for a week, anyway)
LOL, one of our instructors said the attendance of new members at the Y generally falls off in March/April, while at some other gyms, people don't make it through January.

I'll continue with my gym schedule and hope to add more classes or other activities that keep me moving vs sitting so much.
Old 12-30-2018, 03:21 PM

The Marina where the fireworks will be is about 3 blocks from here. But I walked around last night and they are ready to block areas, not only from cars but from people on foot. Not sure I want to be on the street with a couple million people.
Speaking of streets, this is the cleanest city I have ever seen. No trash in the gutter, and I mean none. No graffiti and so far not a single homeless person. It is so unreal. I wish San Francisco could look like this.
Old 12-30-2018, 05:32 PM

Reflecting on 2018. It wasn’t the best of times. It wasn’t the worst of times.

I started the year by doing an oil painting of the first lap of the 1955 LeMans 24-hour race that had been a long-time bucket list goal. Then before we knew it, it was St. Patty’s Day and we had an especially good time at a local pub. Sadly the lady who owned it passed away unexpectedly from cancer. Cancer took another friend as well. And speaking of losses, it was heart breaker to loose our 13 year-old golden retriever to cancer.

Throughout the year we enjoyed our 13 and 14-year-old grandson’s baseball games and watching videos of our 5-year-old grand daughter’s school song/dance performance, which her 2-year-old sister has started to copy.

Travel and vacation plans throughout the course of summer all fell to the wayside due to bouts with arthritis. I can’t pin point what caused it to flare up or what caused it to stop. I now have a much better understanding of how terrible life is for anyone suffering from chronic pain. When there is no let up 24/7 it certainly breaks your spirit to live.

We did log 2,000 miles in the MG, just one-third of a normal summer. We cancelled a MG trip to Richmond, VA, cancelled our annual spring trip to northern Michigan that we have done for decades, and cancelled plans for a F-150 truck bed replacement in TN. Donna cancelled a cornea replacement operation due to a health issue that flared up, so she will have to deal with that in 2019. On a more positive note, Donna is upbeat after she moved one of our two horses to a barn that specializes in treating horses with pain. Donna picked up a new barn car - a 2018 Honda CR-V, while I said good-bye to the Audi A6 that was not getting much use.

Reflecting on 2018 it really was one of the most uneventful years we can recall.

The one exception was Christmas. My daughter, her husband, and their two daughters drove up from FL to join my son, along with his three sons for a few days of celebration at our house. What came through the most to me is what a wonderful parenting job they all have done. Plans called for my youngest grand daughter to experience snow for the first time and do snow angles but Murphy’s Law played out and there was no real snow until the evening of the day they left!
Old 12-31-2018, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by dlq04 View Post

Reflecting on 2018 it really was one of the most uneventful years we can recall.

The one exception was Christmas. My daughter, her husband, and their two daughters drove up from FL to join my son, along with his three sons for a few days of celebration at our house. What came through the most to me is what a wonderful parenting job they all have done. Plans called for my youngest grand daughter to experience snow for the first time and do snow angles but Murphy’s Law played out and there was no real snow until the evening of the day they left!
​​I hope you expressed that feeling. It would be appreciated, I'm sure.

I'm looking forward to my son and his wife having a baby but it's not happening easily for them. I also wonder how it'll be raised considering they both love and value their work.

Last edited by Kyras; 12-31-2018 at 09:32 PM.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands