S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Vintage Owners (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-vintage-owners-117/)
-   -   RIP: George Steinbrenner (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-vintage-owners-117/rip-george-steinbrenner-802556/)

PokS2k 07-13-2010 09:12 AM

RIP: George Steinbrenner

I'm sure people have different opinions about George Steinbrenner. I know he saved the Yankees. He purchased the team for less than $10M when they had a hard time drawing 1 million fans.

goblueS2K 07-13-2010 09:30 AM

He was very generous to Ohio State. I think he donated $1.5 million for a new marching band facility connected to the football stadium, and he was awarded a honorary Doctorate in 1992 (not sure if the two things were related)

tof 07-13-2010 10:36 AM

George was old school, ultra-competitive, ego-driven, and by turns brilliant and foolish. He was great for baseball, especially for the theatrical aspect of baseball. He was obviously intelligent, perhaps brilliant in many ways. His mental decline and withdrawal from an active roll in the operations of the Yankees in the last few years has left a big hole in major league baseball. His passing will be mourned by true baseball fans everywhere. Love him or hate him, he will be remembered along with names like Charles Cominskey, Bill Veek, Bill Wrigley, Jr. and Branch Rickey.

mns2k 07-13-2010 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by tof,Jul 13 2010, 12:36 PM
George was old school, ultra-competitive, ego-driven, and by turns brilliant and foolish. He was great for baseball, especially for the theatrical aspect of baseball. He was obviously intelligent, perhaps brilliant in many ways. His mental decline and withdrawal from an active roll in the operations of the Yankees in the last few years has left a big hole in major league baseball. His passing will be mourned by true baseball fans everywhere. Love him or hate him, he will be remembered along with names like Charles Cominskey, Bill Veek, Bill Wrigley, Jr. and Branch Rickey.

Couldn't agree more :thumbup:

raymo19 07-13-2010 02:25 PM

He was the first to fully understand and exploit free agency and made the Yankees relevant again. His sometimes boorish behavior aside I think his acumen will be his legacy.

My Dad loved the Yankees - he grew up with them on radio. Me - not so much. I was a Cardinals fan until the Braves came to Atlanta and we got cable. :LOL:

RIP Boss.

Matt_in_VA 07-13-2010 04:18 PM

I grew up in Queens NYC several miles from Shea Stadium so I was a Mets fan, not a Yankees fan.

However, I have to say that I admire what Steinbrenner did with the Yankee's as a franchise turning it into almost a billion dollar business. Besides being ultra competitive he had the vision to insist on maintaining the history and pride of wearing the "pin stripes" not just a uniform.

RIP

Scooterboy 07-14-2010 08:41 AM

George was a Northern Ohio boy. He tried to buy the Indians before he bought the Yankees. What would baseball be like if that had happened?

He owned American Ship Building here in Lorain. When he closed it he was hated but he knew his business and he knew when it was time to get out.

RIP George!!