S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

S1997 (Jim) & Coop (Bruce) go north

Old 06-27-2018, 07:34 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by coop
thanks everyone, we hope to be very safe, just can never tell about others.

For the most part it will be paved roads, but the 2 haul roads are gravel and also muddy at times. So maybe a couple of thousand miles in muddy rocky roads.

I would drive an S2000 or my SLK up to Whitehorse on the Alaskan Highway.
Yeah, that's what I thought. I also thought you two guys would be able to tell us at what point it becomes S2000 unfriendly, even i you are not in your S2000.
Old 06-27-2018, 07:38 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt_in_VA
I inadvertently went off roading in my S after the Tom Catt Run. I visited a long time friend in Indiana and did not want to drive the 630 miles back home in one day. So, I used some Hilton points to split the trip up on the way back home. I spent the night in Mineral Wells, WV at a Hampton Inn. Last Wednesday, my Garmin GPS that I have set to avoid unpaved roads wanted me to go North on I-77 then East on RT 50. But I wanted to drive on some back roads in WV where the speed limit is 55 MPH and even in an S2000 one can only do that about 20 % of the time. So I headed south out of Mineral Wells knowing that I would need to make a left hand turn to head east. My Garmin told me to make a left on a road that was paved for the first several miles, that then turned into gravel. The next road was worse and went from gravel to tire tracks through the woods. By then, I was so far in that it did not make sense to turn around and go back. Besides, there was no place to turn around. Then it turned into rocks and I had to be careful to not rip off the oil pan. The road was so rough that my dash cam fell off of the windshield and I was afraid to stop to put it back up for fear of getting stuck in the mud. So I do not have any images of just how much off roading I did. I finally made it to paved highway again and was rewarded with some really fun driving in the hills of WV with some truly fun roads that are perfect for an S-2000.

P.S. Have a safe and fun trip
Great story Matt. Barbara and I had a similar experience on one of the PA Spring Flings. The Garmin led us right onto a logging road. Seemed fine at first, and then it was too late. In some places I had a 10 degree offset from left to right. Part of the road was a smooth faced boulder. It is amazing what RWD cars are capable of off road.
Old 06-27-2018, 09:22 PM

Received 4,946 Likes on 3,000 Posts

Bruce & Jim, stay safe, enjoy, and keep us up-to-date when you can.
Old 06-28-2018, 01:39 AM

Received 2,593 Likes on 1,569 Posts

Putting this post from Jim here to keep everything in one place. An amazing trip.

Coop’s Itinerary plan on first leg - from Durango to Tuktoyaktuk (3,510 mi):
First two days are long...
July 7
- Durango to Goodenough Campground, Idaho.
- Goodenough to Whitefish, Montana.
- Whitefish to Mosquito Creek Campground, Alberta.
- Mosquito Creek to Grande Prairie, Alberta.
- Grande Prairie to Fort Nelson, British Columbia.
- Fort Nelson to Watson Lake, Yukon T.
- Watson Lake to Whitehorse, Yukon T. (Possible meet up in Whitehorse for a beer with Roy <Canberra> and Carol who are touring with a group of recreational LTV owners.)
- Whitehorse to Dempster Highway
- Start of Dempster Highway to Eagle Plains, Yukon T.
- Eagle Plains to Inuvik.
- Inuvik to Tuktoyatuk, Northwest Territory and back to Inuvik.
- inuvik to Dempster Highway camping.
- Dempster Highway to Dawson, Yukon T..
- Dawson to Tok, Alaska.
July 21 Tok to Anchorage, Alaska area. Until the 23rd.
Then second half of trip.
Old 06-28-2018, 01:42 AM

This is the route for the first section of the trip:

The second half of the trip is mostly in Alaska (route details undecided so far), and then back down the west coast - fishing in the Gulf of Alaska, Fairbanks, Denali, Deadhorse, Arctic Wildlife Refuge, Prudhoe Bay..
Old 06-28-2018, 05:18 AM

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Legal Bill
Yeah, that's what I thought. I also thought you two guys would be able to tell us at what point it becomes S2000 unfriendly, even i you are not in your S2000.
that should not be a problem. The two times I have been there, it has been the roads farther north where the land is more of an Alpine tundra that they have problems with the highway.
Old 06-28-2018, 05:33 AM

I see Lake Louise on the map above. Will you actually be able to go to the lake? You should if at all possible. IMO it's one of the most spectacular spots on the planet. Here's a pic from our trip two years ago. Just loved it there.

Old 06-28-2018, 08:41 AM

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by MsPerky
I see Lake Louise on the map above. Will you actually be able to go to the lake? You should if at all possible. IMO it's one of the most spectacular spots on the planet. Here's a pic from our trip two years ago. Just loved it there.

yes we plan to stop there and get out for a little walk, snack, lunch is a maybe. My Mom & Dad would go up there about every other year, it was one of their favorite places
Old 06-28-2018, 08:51 AM

Old 06-29-2018, 01:27 PM

Received 71 Likes on 46 Posts

For those worried about taking the S on unprepared roads ask me to tell you about our trip to the Pennsylvania Grand Canyon at the next get together

Quick Reply: S1997 (Jim) & Coop (Bruce) go north