S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

S2000 vs Porsche Boxster - The wife's review of her husband's toy.

Old 04-02-2017, 03:12 PM

Received 2,744 Likes on 1,619 Posts
Default S2000 vs Porsche Boxster - The wife's review of her husband's toy.

So tired of lousy weekend weather, but we got a little surprise as the temps went up past 50 degrees today. I was out doing a few errands, realized the temps had gone up and Rick and I decided we could grab some top down time in the Porsche. We have both driven it once each. I took a short spin when we went to look at it, making sure I could get comfortable in the driver's seat and that my short legs were long enough to reach the clutch. He didn't drive it that day, (he knew what he wanted) but drove it home the day we purchased it (about 50 miles.) It sat in the driveway since December, under cover.

Overall, I think the Honda wins hands down for looks and lines. The Honda is sleek, the Boxster has a bit of a fat a$$. There is no "edge" to the car. It's too round in too many places.

As a passenger, the creature comforts get lots of from me. The seats have more adjustments than the Honda, and are quite comfortable. There is much more foot/leg room, than in the Honda. The Honda passenger cabin is cramped. The ride in the Boxster is certainly less bumpy than the Honda, more luxury car like vs sports car like. . There are lots of little cubbies for stuff like glasses, hat clips, tissues, hey, there is even a glove box! There are two very cool cup holders too...push a button and out they come. We have heated seats which were welcome today. We have Bluetooth capability for the iphone, and the vehicle also has navigation. There is also a USB port which comes in handy as I have music stored on a USB device. No need for popping in CD's or using an iphone (which Rick doesn't have) . Satellite radio is an option, but I don't think we will bother.

The car is quiet. You don't hear the engine as you do in the Honda. I like to hear the engine...... The sound system has seven speakers, but none in the rear. We have S pods in the Honda and I like to have music coming from the rear.

We rode around for about an hour and I thoroughly enjoyed the ride and the creature comforts, and I believe our longer road trips will be much more comfortable .However, I'm pretty sure the S is just more fun over all. The engine sounds when winding it out, the exhaust sounds, and even the bumpy ride is part of the expected (well my expected) sports car experience. I'm glad we have decided to keep both vehicles.

The Porsche might need an exhaust modification down the line, I need more sports car noise, but don't tell Rick said this.

Maybe I'll review again after I have spent some time in the driver's seat...

PS The Honda is still going to Spring Fling. Rick is VERY happy with his purchase but is still of the opinion that the Honda is the car for the twisty roads.

Last edited by Lainey; 04-02-2017 at 04:09 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-02-2017, 03:42 PM

Received 4,930 Likes on 2,990 Posts

Lainey, nice review but you might want to call it by its proper name - Boxster!
Old 04-02-2017, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by dlq04
Lainey, nice review but you might want to call it by its proper name - Boxster!
I knew that, embarrassing that I spelled it incorrectly more than once. BOXSTER!!!...Thanks, Dave....Can't change the thread title though...........need an admin.
Old 04-02-2017, 04:28 PM

Received 696 Likes on 472 Posts

I have driven quite a few Boxsters in my detailing business. They are quick, handle well and have good storage space in front and back since it is mid engine. I agree, I am not in love with the design. The newer ones do look better. Like all Porsches the price tag goes up substantially when you add most of the desirable options. Way up. A new Boxster now approaches 100K or more with the endless number of options available. They were once called a poor man's Porsche, not anymore. IMO, they are over priced especially when you look at the cost of the S2000. Performance in the S2000 is not worlds away from the Boxster. I had 2 and can vouch to that.
Old 04-02-2017, 06:44 PM

Received 4,930 Likes on 2,990 Posts

Originally Posted by S2KRAY
Performance in the S2000 is not worlds away from the Boxster.
I can't speak for a Boxster but when I still had my S2000 I had a new Cayman that I test drove for over 100 miles 10 years ago this month. (man, where did the time go?) I did back-to-back runs on some special roads I know and there wasn't anything I didn't love about the Porsche. As you say it wasn't world's apart from the S but the wonderful cabin comfort and adjustments combined with the handling made me say Now I know Why People Are Willing to Pay the extra several thousand. If it would have worked out for my wife's back issue I can assure you it would have been mine.

Old 04-03-2017, 05:37 AM
Former Moderator

Received 610 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey
I knew that, embarrassing that I spelled it incorrectly more than once. BOXSTER!!!...Thanks, Dave....Can't change the thread title though...........need an admin.
Done
Old 04-03-2017, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by S1997
Done
Thanks, Jim.
Old 04-03-2017, 12:20 PM

Received 696 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04
I can't speak for a Boxster but when I still had my S2000 I had a new Cayman that I test drove for over 100 miles 10 years ago this month. (man, where did the time go?) I did back-to-back runs on some special roads I know and there wasn't anything I didn't love about the Porsche. As you say it wasn't world's apart from the S but the wonderful cabin comfort and adjustments combined with the handling made me say Now I know Why People Are Willing to Pay the extra several thousand. If it would have worked out for my wife's back issue I can assure you it would have been mine.

Agree, I like it much better than the Boxster. I drove my neighbor's, awesome ride.
Old 04-03-2017, 03:39 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Stock for stock I would take the 987 Boxster/Cayman over the S2000. I would pick the S2000 over the 986 Boxster. Having owned all of them, I would still pick my S2000 as she sits now over all of them.
Old 04-03-2017, 07:06 PM

Received 458 Likes on 270 Posts

OH SHOOT! (explicative deleted) If it were not for the personal property tax on vehicles in Virginia, which is based on the KBB value every year of ownership. The tax rate for most vehicles is $4.57 per $100 of assessed value. I would LOVE to buy a new vehicle to replace our Infiniti that died last July, and was not worth fixing. That is why we "drive them, till they drop". Their are many vehicles that I would like to own, but I cannot justify the PP tax.

Quick Reply: S2000 vs Porsche Boxster - The wife's review of her husband's toy.