S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

S2KCA Days? Anyone going? July 1- July 5; Southern Calif.

Old 05-14-2018, 03:12 PM
Former Moderator

Received 610 Likes on 373 Posts

I can’t go this year. Coop’s Alaska Trek Group is leaving Durango on July 7 for a drive to the Arctic Circle, first in Yukon and then Alaska. Plan to do some fishing, too, on the trip. I’m in Colorado right now getting a small tear drop trailer designed and equipped to do the drive, much of it in the far north on dirt roads built on the permafrost.

Have fun at S2kCA Days in CA. I understand that Jason and Rosanne and crew are working hard on the meet. I have enjoyed one of Rosanne’s “Balls-to-the-Wall” drives on the Mulholland. Great fun!
Old 05-14-2018, 03:27 PM

Received 2,984 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Originally Posted by S1997
I can’t go this year. Coop’s Alaska Trek Group is leaving Durango on July 7 for a drive to the Arctic Circle, first in Yukon and then Alaska. Plan to do some fishing, too, on the trip. I’m in Colorado right now getting a small tear drop trailer designed and equipped to do the drive, much of it in the far north on dirt roads built on the permafrost.

Have fun at S2kCA Days in CA. I understand that Jason and Rosanne and crew are working hard on the meet. I have enjoyed one of Rosanne’s “Balls-to-the-Wall” drives on the Mulholland. Great fun!
Are you taking your Jeep?
Old 05-14-2018, 03:45 PM
Former Moderator

Received 610 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyras
Are you taking your Jeep?
Yep. But I gave the 2005 2 door Wrangler to my daughter Kim, who lost her car in the Houston flood last year - and bought a JL Rubicon 4 door for the trip. For one thing the Unlimited is much roomier and has better brakes for controlling a trailer. And I was afraid I couldn’t keep up with the V8s, since the older 4L engine is not overpowered.

Old 05-14-2018, 04:19 PM

Received 1,410 Likes on 765 Posts

That's a l o n g trip!
Yep. My last cross-country drive in the S.
Old 05-15-2018, 05:09 AM

Received 279 Likes on 214 Posts

...from the S2kDays "What's your route to S2KDay?" thread

Regretfully... with amount of vacation I have, my trek from the world, that is OKI, will be a high speed burn...

The Drive Out West

Coming West - I-70 from Wright-Patterson AFB (my work and live down the street from) to Indy, I-64 to Chicago, I-80 to SLC, then, I-84, to I-82, to I-90 to I-5 to get to Mt Vernon, WA *whew* (Google Maps want me to take I-90 across. We'll see). I will be leaving around noon on 21 June (maybe evening on 20 June). I will crash somewhere in Wyoming/Idaho. If I can get to Idaho on the first run, I have a cousin of my ex, that I can crash with. Most likely it will be a motel in Iowa, then maybe Boise, if I leave on the 20th.

My ex and I split up in 2017. She and I are still very friendly and I am still very close to her larger family. During our marriage, I was the instigator to get her to reconnect with her family after 20 years. She's a honest to goodness Valley Girl (Bon Jovi video and all)

The morning of 23 June will be a run up Mt Baker with the Pacific Northwest S2000 community - a Bucket List item.

Before and after the Mr Baker run, I will be spending the night with my ex's cousin in Mt Vernon, WA.

24 June, I will be taking the PCH down the coast, mostly through Washington and Oregon. Stopping in Portland to see a YouTube friend of mine. (B is for Build). I'll be crashing at his and his girlfriend's place.

Oil change somewhere before I get to Sacramento. Rock the Dragon, Tomcatt, and this trip, so far, is on the meter. I skipped Boston Mountains this year.

Should be in the LA basin by 30 June. Dying to run the Grapevine Pass into LA in my Berlina! (Hope to stream it live!)

Staying at an AirBnB around the corner from the hotel (the hotel cost was out of my budget for this trip - sorry. Even the Government rate was still too high). The AirBnB is already paid for. But, with a run with OKI to Rock the Dragon in May, doing two major trips is putting my budget in near "busting the seams" mode. But for this once, it'll be worth it! Really!

My financial saving grace is that I am a US Soccer referee (note my icon) and I have been moving money from soccer matches to my credit balances, in order to make this work. At this moment, I have nearly $1000 in Receivables waiting to come in. I'll be able to pay down debt from the trip this Autumn with my NCAA soccer money. Again... this time, it's worth it.

My day off in S2K Days will be out on the water in Orange County, with my ex's childhood friend and her family... as well as dropping in with another one of my ex's cousins (she's the hub of the family). Might see fireworks on the boat!

The Trip Back East

My drive home will be the adventure drive....

Take the 10 to the San Diego Freeway (405), going South, to pick up the San Gabriel Freeway, near Cerritos/Lakewood/Bellflower to jump back up to I-40 (gotta drive the 605, just one more time - first time with the Berlina!), over to Laughlin, NV, for a lunch break and some quarter slots! Snake up US 93, past Hoover Dam, to get to Vegas (stop in the Veterans Cemetery in Boulder City, NV to see my late ex father-in law - none of us have been back since the funeral in 2009), then grab the 15, to boogie up to north of SLC (via Panguitch, UT - my ex's ancestral home!) and spend the night with another cousin of my ex.

Drop back down the 15 to pick up where I-70 starts and start the high speed burn, all the way back to Ohio. Looking forward to going over the Continental Divide this way, I'm crossing it on I-80/I-90 when I come out. This drive is also on my bucket list. I've lived off I-70 my entire life (Columbus, OH, Champaign, IL, Dayton, OH). I've ran it (in spurts) from St Louis to DC. This will complete the line.

Hope to be back at Wright-Patterson AFB by midnight 8 July. I'm sure I will take a Sick Day on the 9th to recover.....

Can't wait to meet the West Coast S2000 community!!!!
Old 05-15-2018, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by JoePhotographer
...from the S2kDays "What's your route to S2KDay?" thread

Regretfully... with amount of vacation I have, my trek from the world, that is OKI, will be a high speed burn...

The Drive Out West

My ex and I split up in 2017. She and I are still very friendly and I am still very close to her larger family. During our marriage, I was the instigator to get her to reconnect with her family after 20 years. She's a honest to goodness Valley Girl (Bon Jovi video and all)

The morning of 23 June will be a run up Mt Baker with the Pacific Northwest S2000 community - a Bucket List item.

Before and after the Mr Baker run, I will be spending the night with my ex's cousin in Mt Vernon, WA.

Should be in the LA basin by 30 June. Dying to run the Grapevine Pass into LA in my Berlina! (Hope to stream it live!)

I find the Grapevine a little scary with slow massive trucks vs. fast cars. Just watch for that if it's new to you.

My day off in S2K Days will be out on the water in Orange County, with my ex's childhood friend and her family... as well as dropping in with another one of my ex's cousins (she's the hub of the family). Might see fireworks on the boat!...

The Trip Back East

My drive home will be the adventure drive....

Take the 10 to the San Diego Freeway (405), going South, to pick up the San Gabriel Freeway, near Cerritos/Lakewood/Bellflower to jump back up to I-40 (gotta drive the 605, just one more time - first time with the Berlina!), over to Laughlin, NV, for a lunch break and some quarter slots! Snake up US 93, past Hoover Dam, to get to Vegas (stop in the Veterans Cemetery in Boulder City, NV to see my late ex father-in law - none of us have been back since the funeral in 2009), then grab the 15, to boogie up to north of SLC (via Panguitch, UT - my ex's ancestral home!) and spend the night with another cousin of my ex.

Drop back down the 15 to pick up where I-70 starts and start the high speed burn, all the way back to Ohio. Looking forward to going over the Continental Divide this way, I'm crossing it on I-80/I-90 when I come out. This drive is also on my bucket list. I've lived off I-70 my entire life (Columbus, OH, Champaign, IL, Dayton, OH). I've ran it (in spurts) from St Louis to DC. This will complete the line....
I don't think we've ever met and I guess I'm older than you and your ex but I grew up in the San Fernando Valley from 1958 until 1981, when I moved to San Diego. Where did your ex live? I was in North Hollywood, which has nothing to do with Hollywood and is separated by mountains. My schools were in Sherman Oaks and Van Nuys.

I have a house in Orange County in Lake Forest/Portola Hills but will be in my Loveland, Colorado house during S2KCA Days. It's halfway between I-80 and I-70 off I-25. I've done the I-70 drive to 15 many times between Colorado and Orange County/Los Angeles County. If I can be of any help just ask. I've driven back from Acton, CA to Ohio, Virginia and Pennsylvania for S2000 meets, and always like you're doing this time: bonsai run.

Last edited by Kyras; 05-15-2018 at 07:00 AM.
Old 05-16-2018, 04:26 AM

I think met at Spring Fling (Shamokin Dam, PA) last year. She grew up off the 91 and Bellflower Blvd. She's 48 and I'm 50. We're still friendly.

Lodging while I'm in LA is covered. I truly appreciate your offer!

I've been watching YouTube videos of the Continental Divide on 90, 80 and 70. Still not sure if 80 or 90 is my route going West. I like how the Divide is identified on 80 and 70. Haven't determined how the Divide is identified on 90. The run from I-15 into Denver is supposed to be a blast. Past Denver, it's supposed to be "BORING".
Old 05-16-2018, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by JoePhotographer
I think met at Spring Fling (Shamokin Dam, PA) last year. She grew up off the 91 and Bellflower Blvd. She's 48 and I'm 50. We're still friendly.

Lodging while I'm in LA is covered. I truly appreciate your offer!

I've been watching YouTube videos of the Continental Divide on 90, 80 and 70. Still not sure if 80 or 90 is my route going West. I like how the Divide is identified on 80 and 70. Haven't determined how the Divide is identified on 90. The run from I-15 into Denver is supposed to be a blast. Past Denver, it's supposed to be "BORING".
Oh, yeah. I made you name tag.

I-15 through the corner of Arizona, next to the Virgin River and in the river gorge, is my favorite part of the drive on all of I-15! It's the kind of road that you want to turn around and run again and again although you can't really get off anywhere. It's two lanes in each direction with a short wall for a center divider. It has banked turns and sweeping corners. It's a blast!

I love driving in Utah, on I-15 and then I-70 into Denver. I-70 is a little challenging with sharp turns that I don't see on other highways, the closer you get to Denver. Utah has such pretty red rock formations. If you do take I-70 east, there are a few scenic rest stops before you get to Green River. One I always make sure to stop at, my favorite, is Spotted Wolf. You can only get to it when driving east on I-70. I took all of these photos on March 28, 2018, on my last driving trip from Orange County to Loveland, Colorado. The day started out nice in Richfield, Utah, where I slept but it got downright frightening in Colorado, when I got off the road in Frisco and spent the night, only 125 miles from home. At least I didn't crash.

^3-28-2018. Leaving Richfield, Utah in the morning at 9:10 AM.

^3-28-2018, at 10:40 AM.

^3-28-2018. I never get tired of this view!

^3-28-2018 at 11:05 AM.

^3-28-2018.

^3-28-2018 at 11:40 AM.

^3-28-2018. 3:18 PM.

^3-28-2018. In Frisco, Colorado, happy to be off the highway at 3:45 PM.

Last edited by Kyras; 05-16-2018 at 09:46 AM.
The following users liked this post:
JoePhotographer (05-17-2018)
Old 05-16-2018, 04:18 PM

Received 1,107 Likes on 988 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04
Looks like an awesome event. I got an email on it. Now its just dawned on me why - I'm a lifetime member of S2KCA. Do you think my neighbor would let me borrow my old car for a couple weeks? If only Donna's back could take the drive! Of course, I would still owned it if she could.
you could borrow mine.
Old 05-17-2018, 10:12 AM

Oh, yeah. I made you name tag.

I-15 through the corner of Arizona, next to the Virgin River and in the river gorge, is my favorite part of the drive on all of I-15! It's the kind of road that you want to turn around and run again and again although you can't really get off anywhere. It's two lanes in each direction with a short wall for a center divider. It has banked turns and sweeping corners. It's a blast!

I love driving in Utah, on I-15 and then I-70 into Denver. I-70 is a little challenging with sharp turns that I don't see on other highways, the closer you get to Denver. Utah has such pretty red rock formations. If you do take I-70 east, there are a few scenic rest stops before you get to Green River. One I always make sure to stop at, my favorite, is Spotted Wolf. You can only get to it when driving east on I-70. I took all of these photos on March 28, 2018, on my last driving trip from Orange County to Loveland, Colorado. The day started out nice in Richfield, Utah, where I slept but it got downright frightening in Colorado, when I got off the road in Frisco and spent the night, only 125 miles from home. At least I didn't crash.
I'll be getting I-15 from I-515 (via US 93 and 95 in Henderson). Hope to see anything so full of splendor (your WestWorld quote of the day)...

Quick Reply: S2KCA Days? Anyone going? July 1- July 5; Southern Calif.