S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

S2KCA Days? Anyone going? July 1- July 5; Southern Calif.

Old 05-13-2018, 11:42 AM

Received 2,986 Likes on 1,661 Posts
Default S2KCA Days? Anyone going? July 1- July 5; Southern Calif.

Yes, this is a plug by me, Patricia/Kyras, for this event. I hope it's okay, Jim/S1997.

Just in case you have considered going and forgot about it, I highly recommend it. I thought it was going to be held in nasty Los Angeles but it's not! It's north of LA in Ventura County, where my mom lived. I think it's going to be an awesome event.

S2KDays SoCal 2018 is a 5 day event from July 1 – July 5.
You don't have to attend all of the days, but your registration covers all of the days and they will all be fun!

Day 1: Afternoon registration (check in) at the hotel in Westlake Village, get your goody bag, attend the Welcome Reception at the hotel. (I spent the first night of my July 1984 honeymoon in Westlake. It's a nice part of So Cal, unlike Los Angeles!)

Day 2: A fun twisty drive through Los Padres National Forest across the awesome driver's roads CA-33 and Lockwood Valley Road, lunch at a colorful eatery off the beaten path, drive back to the hotel on more twisties. We also have an alternate first day drive which is just as fun if for any reason there are any issues with any of the roads mentioned above. (I've driven these roads and they are fun!)

Day 3: Tour of the Private Honda Museum, lunch at the museum, slow scenic cruise through Palos Verde peninsula (by way of the Wayfarer's Chapel and Korean Friendship Bell) and ending in San Pedro at the USS Iowa. Beer exchange that evening at the hotel back in Westlake Village. (I've been to the Honda museum and it's interesting for sure. All years of various Hondas in pristine condition.)

Day 4: Free Day – Attendees whatever they please. We have created a list of suggestions for activities in the area including parades, fireworks, popular day-trip destinations, amusement parks, art and science museums, etc. There is already a group planning to head over to the world renowned Petersen Automotive Museum for the day and we are arranging for a group discount and group tour of the famous Petersen “vault.” (I've never been to the Peterson Automotive Museum but it gets rave reviews. Nearby, Ventura has nice beaches and a harbor that's fun to hang out at, too.)

Day 5:An epic drive through the Santa Monica mountains, Malibu, and coastal canyon roads including the famous Mulholland Highway. Our unforgettable event ends with a banquet dinner at the hotel and includes award for Club Volunteer of the Year, announcement of S2KDays 2019 location, and raffle/giveaways. The giveaways are quite good and several lucky people will walk away with a lot more than they anticipated (in a good way!). (I grew up with these roads since I lived in North Hollywood, right next to the Santa Monica mountains, and had to drive Mulholland Dr when I was scared shitless in my High School driver's education class. Three years later (after I finally got my driver's license at 19, I lost control of my 1970 Datsun 510 on Mulholland Drive and was very lucky I didn't get hurt. A friend of my brother's died when the baja bug he was a passenger in went off a cliff. It was night for us both so it's good the drive will be in daylight!)

Event registration cost: $125. Hotel rate is $135 per night. (This hotel normally has rates of $175-$225 per night during the holiday week.)

Links to registration can be found in the forum (current club membership is required) at www.s2kca.com.

Last edited by Kyras; 05-13-2018 at 11:47 AM.
Old 05-13-2018, 02:17 PM

Received 4,951 Likes on 3,003 Posts

Looks like an awesome event. I got an email on it. Now its just dawned on me why - I'm a lifetime member of S2KCA. Do you think my neighbor would let me borrow my old car for a couple weeks? If only Donna's back could take the drive! Of course, I would still owned it if she could.
Old 05-13-2018, 02:27 PM

Received 4,951 Likes on 3,003 Posts

BTW, Patricia, the link you posted to s2kca will not work on this site, s2ki, .... its been set up to not recognize it, so anyone interested has to enter the location on their own. Rather sad, but as they always say; in the end its all about the $.
Old 05-13-2018, 03:37 PM

Received 2,531 Likes on 1,526 Posts

Patty,

I would have loved to go but there were conflicts that prevented it. For others, that is a long way to go for an event. Those that still work would have to take off at least two weeks worth of work to make the drive. The expense of hotels and meals put it out of some peoples reach and now with the price of gas going up faster than Elon Musk's rockets....
Old 05-13-2018, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by dlq04
BTW, Patricia, the link you posted to s2kca will not work on this site, s2ki, .... its been set up to not recognize it, so anyone interested has to enter the location on their own. Rather sad, but as they always say; in the end its all about the $.
Oh. Thank you.
Old 05-13-2018, 05:51 PM

Received 1,412 Likes on 766 Posts

I’m going. Hotel reservations have been made for some time now.
As of now, I plan to drive the S out and back. Would not be able to commit the time if I were not retired.
Old 05-13-2018, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by jukngene
I’m going. Hotel reservations have been made for some time now.
As of now, I plan to drive the S out and back. Would not be able to commit the time if I were not retired.
That's a l o n g trip!
Old 05-14-2018, 05:16 AM

Received 71 Likes on 46 Posts

We are retired but it is still not feasible. We did do the Lake George, Atlanta, Kentucky, Colorado/ South Dakota trips for S2KCA days and enjoyed them. We highly recommend them If you can go
Old 05-14-2018, 09:48 AM

Received 285 Likes on 220 Posts

I'm taking 2 weeks vacation to make the trip to Santa Monica. I'm also going to Mt Baker the weekend prior, with the Seattle S2000 group.

My ex-wife is from Orange County (actually, east of Long Beach) and this will be a good opportunity to reconnect with her extended family, who I'm still friends with. I'm actually staying with a lot of them on the trip, to save hotel lodging.
Old 05-14-2018, 10:31 AM

Received 2,768 Likes on 1,626 Posts

Have fun...it does sound like fun, but if we were making a trek across country, it would have to be for more than a car meet. I'd need way more than a two week time frame for all that driving. That would be way too much seat time.

Quick Reply: S2KCA Days? Anyone going? July 1- July 5; Southern Calif.