S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

A sad commentary on our educational system

Old 12-16-2018, 03:45 PM

Received 464 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by tof
Hey, Emile. Stay out of our politics you...you...Canadian*.

*actually the nicest name you can call someone.
...the nicest name,is ´´French Canadian’´.
Old 12-16-2018, 04:21 PM

Received 3,499 Likes on 2,366 Posts

neither of which belong in this thread.....
Old 12-16-2018, 10:06 PM

Received 2,963 Likes on 1,649 Posts

Originally Posted by tof
All this may say more about the motivation to learn of some people than it does about our education system. I used to host trivia a lot and was impressed with the breadth of knowledge possessed by many 20-somethings.
My kids are 30 and 31 but they impress me with the things they know. My daughter has emotional intelligence that blows me away. Not an example of that but I recently learned from her that you can tell a lot about a zookeeper by asking them their favorite animal. (She's a zookeeper and so is her significant other.) It isn't just zookeepers, though. What's yours tof? Mine is cats. I love cats! Independent but will love you up when they want to. Very unlike dogs.

Last edited by Kyras; 12-16-2018 at 10:13 PM.
Old 12-16-2018, 11:16 PM

Received 972 Likes on 665 Posts

Originally Posted by tof
All this may say more about the motivation to learn of some people than it does about our education system. I used to host trivia a lot and was impressed with the breadth of knowledge possessed by many 20-somethings.
Exactly. The "system" turns out a whole lot of people who know New Mexico is a US state. So one (actually more, but it's been decided to make an example of this one) person only heard "Mexico" and totally glossed over the "New" part. I guess she should be banned from humanity.
Old 01-07-2019, 07:11 AM

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Just saw this, having lived in New Mexico for many years, this is not that uncommon, https://www.newmexico.org/nmmagazine...50-is-missing/

my personal experience was in a small fishing village in the upper peninsula of Michigan. I was driving my dad’s Acura Legend with New Mexico plates, it was around 1986. We had stopped to get a snack & coke, so I backed into a parking spot in front of the store. There where two old men playing checkers and as I walked up the steps, one of them asked me if I needed a passport to come into the United States and the other asked if it was save to drink the water down there.
Old 01-07-2019, 07:23 AM

Received 1,424 Likes on 954 Posts

Originally Posted by coop
Just saw this, having lived in New Mexico for many years, this is not that uncommon, https://www.newmexico.org/nmmagazine...50-is-missing/

my personal experience was in a small fishing village in the upper peninsula of Michigan. I was driving my dad’s Acura Legend with New Mexico plates, it was around 1986. We had stopped to get a snack & coke, so I backed into a parking spot in front of the store. There where two old men playing checkers and as I walked up the steps, one of them asked me if I needed a passport to come into the United States and the other asked if it was save to drink the water down there.
I guess ignorance is not providence of the young.
Old 01-08-2019, 02:20 PM

Received 1,402 Likes on 763 Posts

Originally Posted by coop

Coop, I had no idea that the ignorance about New Mexico was so widespread until reading some of those articles you posted.
Living in the tiny state of Delaware, I encounter the same type of confusion as New Mexicans do. I'm sure most people could not place it on a map or think it's part of Maryland.
Geography was one of my favorite subjects in school. Guess they don't teach it so much anymore.
Old 01-08-2019, 03:53 PM
tof

Received 1,914 Likes on 1,306 Posts

Originally Posted by jukngene
Living in the tiny state of Delaware, I encounter the same type of confusion as New Mexicans do. I'm sure most people could not place it on a map or think it's part of Maryland.
You mean it's NOT part of Maryland? Or Virginia?

Sandy is terrible at geography and she is very intelligent. But she will be the first to tell you that her spacial relations skills are very poor, and I think this is why she struggles with geography, at least when it comes to identifying or placing geographic locations. But she does know New Mexico is a U.S. state.
Old 01-08-2019, 04:51 PM

Received 2,508 Likes on 1,513 Posts

Originally Posted by tof
You mean it's NOT part of Maryland? Or Virginia?

Sandy is terrible at geography and she is very intelligent. But she will be the first to tell you that her spacial relations skills are very poor, and I think this is why she struggles with geography, at least when it comes to identifying or placing geographic locations. But she does know New Mexico is a U.S. state.
I thought Delawhere was part of Knew Mexico.
Old 01-08-2019, 04:58 PM

Received 1,402 Likes on 763 Posts

Originally Posted by Scooterboy
I thought Delawhere was part of Knew Mexico.
It used to be until we got annexed into Nova Scotia.

Quick Reply: A sad commentary on our educational system