S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

The Safety Regulations - Saving us from ourselves.

Old 05-06-2014, 11:11 AM

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Originally Posted by JonasM
Lainey - a short section of Velcro can wrap around the handle and hold it in place.
With the key start it works just fine....didn't think of such an easy fix, but the first lawnmower did need more than one or two pulls to get it going, and I didn't have enough ooomph in my arm/shoulder to do that.

You and your lovely +1 were missed this weekend.
Old 05-06-2014, 01:06 PM

Received 4,929 Likes on 2,989 Posts

Lainey - a short section of Velcro can wrap around the handle and hold it in place.
I like that idea. I've been using rope tied for a quick disconnect but as soon as I read your idea a went off. Comcast gives you the perfect wrap when they send you setups these days. It's a 6" velcro wrap with a bright red label on the end which makes it easy to grab to both wrap or pull off!
Old 05-06-2014, 01:17 PM

Received 186 Likes on 98 Posts

Has anyone with these products sent a letter to the manufacturer letting them know of the problems it is causing? It's entirely possible they didn't test it in certain environments and it's possible that whatever safety implementation they are trying to achieve could still be accomplished with a lessened or completely removed negative impact on the end user. But if no one tells them, then how do they know? And if they don't know, they can't fix it.
Old 05-06-2014, 01:18 PM

Received 186 Likes on 98 Posts

Or just leave a comment on their Facebook page or Twitter feed. Those actually get more timely responses.
Old 05-06-2014, 02:50 PM

Received 2,506 Likes on 1,512 Posts

My lawn mower repairman taught me that trick many moons ago. On a previous mower he showed me how to do the same with a key ring.
Old 05-06-2014, 03:01 PM

Received 135 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey
Originally Posted by JonasM' timestamp='1399402580' post='23146980
With the key start it works just fine....didn't think of such an easy fix, but the first lawnmower did need more than one or two pulls to get it going, and I didn't have enough ooomph in my arm/shoulder to do that.

You and your lovely +1 were missed this weekend.

Thanks - we were in Montreal with the choir doing a concert.
Old 05-06-2014, 04:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your government is just trying to protect you. Everything sold today must be totally idiot proof.
Old 05-06-2014, 05:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually, the government was trying to eliminate natural selection and evolution. Re: the movie "Idocracy."

I have a couple of Ryobi cordless electric tools. Every time I use them, I get cramps in my hand because the some @$$wipe decided a two-step process for pulling the trigger was a good idea. You must use a thumb to press a button before you can use the trigger finger (is it politically correct to use that term?) to pull the trigger (again, apologies for any political incorrectness). Sorry, but those who are too stupid to use power tools should earn the nickname "Stumpy."
Old 05-06-2014, 05:23 PM

Received 3,499 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Lainey I've got an older commercial walk behind mower like the landscapers use.
the safety nazis won't like it but it's for trained professionals to use.
Old 05-06-2014, 06:04 PM

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,105 Posts

So many things are much too complicated today and cluttered with safety features.

A chime goes off and a warning light lights up in my BMW when the outside temperature goes to 37*F. Aside from the fact that it's distracting, water doesn't freeze until 32*F. Why 37*? There are so many warning lights and chimes in the car that sometimes I feel like I'm driving a pinball machine.

My garden tractor has a safety feature that shuts off the engine whenever you get out of the seat. Every time I pivot in the seat to dump the leaves from my leaf sweeper or open the slot in my seed spreader the engine shuts off. Not a big deal starting it again, but the whole process seems awfully silly to me.

Quick Reply: The Safety Regulations - Saving us from ourselves.