S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Seasonal allergies

Old 05-06-2014, 07:29 AM

Received 4,930 Likes on 2,990 Posts
Default Seasonal allergies

All the predictions say to prepare for the worst season in years. Normally its not too big a deal for me. Damn, I think they are right this year. I spent most of last Tuesday outside and from Wednesday through today I have really been paying the price. My sinuses have not stopped running, watery eyes, sneezing, coughing, etc. I had two different MG events to attend last weekend. Drove the truck to the one on Saturday and passed up the one on Sunday. Worst part is staying inside does not seem to help at all. I blame the dog for that.... I think she brings in the pollen as she loves to roll in the grass. I changed the furnace filter yesterday. I'm using a prescription nose spray every day, cough syrup to sleep at night, and taking Allegra daily. When I'm passing up top-down motoring things are bad!

Are you one of the unlucky ones too?
Old 05-06-2014, 07:43 AM

Received 116 Likes on 77 Posts

We have been hit hard in the Northeast too. Takes the energy right out of you.
Old 05-06-2014, 07:57 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

I started sneezing this morning.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:49 AM

Received 2,510 Likes on 1,513 Posts

My head is plugged up as I type. I'm not sure if it is allergies or I'm just full of sh!t!
Old 05-06-2014, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Scooterboy
My head is plugged up as I type. I'm not sure if it is allergies or I'm just full of sh!t!
The quick fix for the second problem is to get someone to kick the sh!t out of you.
Old 05-06-2014, 02:51 PM

Received 2,510 Likes on 1,513 Posts

I've got that covered....I'm married!
Old 05-08-2014, 10:48 AM

Received 2,744 Likes on 1,619 Posts

My car has pollen all over it, and it's not as bad as it's going to get. I don't believe I have allergies, but there are seasons where the pollen irritates my delicate airways and causes an asthma flare. I've been lucky the last few seasons, we'll see if that holds out.

Are you still hiding inside, Dave?
Old 05-08-2014, 03:55 PM

Received 186 Likes on 98 Posts

I suffered terribly with seasonal allergies when I lived on the east coast. It was bad enough that I carried antihistamines in my purse always. Once I moved to the Los Angeles area, the problems subsided and I only have to be concerned when I travel back east during any season other than winter.

I also have extreme reactions to bug bites. Mosquitoes LOVE me. If there is a blood-sucking bug within a one mile radius of me, it will find me. These generally leave large welts. My summer visit to DC some years back ended up including a visit to an urgent care facility because the bug bite on the back of my thigh swelled up so large I could not sit down without extreme pain. Like the seasonal allergy issue, this too is really no problem in LA because we just don't have the same bug population in this climate.

I can't have cats either. The dander can sometimes cause enough irritation that my eyes turn bloodshot red. That can't really be solved by geographic change. But I happened to end up in a building that doesn't allow pets, so I suppose I'm fortunate in that.

I don't really think about it since most of the irritants either don't exist where I live or are easy enough to avoid. I had actually almost completely forgotten about the stash of tissues and "drugs" I had to keep in my purse at all times until I stopped to think about the issue now.
Old 05-08-2014, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Lainey
No. Jumped in the truck a couple days ago after it was sitting outside and I thought I was going to die. Tears running from my eyes, throat closed up. I rolled down the windows and kept going.

We took the MG out for top down drive this afternoon and I was at my grandson's baseball game Tuesday and tonight. No issues. Go figure.

I've turned off the furnace in the house completely.... that really seems to help. Except its cold waking up!

I'm still taking the Allegra every day. A doctor told me that allergy pills have little impact in the short term; you have to keep taking them and get it into your system to be effective. I think I should have started sooner.
Old 05-09-2014, 04:15 AM

Received 2,744 Likes on 1,619 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04
Originally Posted by Lainey' timestamp='1399574884' post='23150709
No. Jumped in the truck a couple days ago after it was sitting outside and I thought I was going to die. Tears running from my eyes, throat closed up. I rolled down the windows and kept going.

We took the MG out for top down drive this afternoon and I was at my grandson's baseball game Tuesday and tonight. No issues. Go figure.

I've turned off the furnace in the house completely.... that really seems to help. Except its cold waking up!

I'm still taking the Allegra every day. A doctor told me that allergy pills have little impact in the short term; you have to keep taking them and get it into your system to be effective. I think I should have started sooner.
Keep popping those pills. I know a few allergy sufferers and they take the prescription nasal spray from April-October.

Glad you got out in the MG without

Quick Reply: Seasonal allergies