S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Selling vinyl records

Old 02-08-2019, 04:43 AM

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

I second you going to discogs.com and checking out the values. If you have Mint or Near Mint albums of big names from the 50's and 60's those are worth some money. Hendrix, Joplin, Beatles, Elvis, Doors, etc will get you $20-30-40+ if you can be patient and sell it online. Use discogs and do some research into what you have.

Those of you selling your big name LPs next to nothing sold yourself short. The best way is to be patient and sell online, going to brick and mortar store will pay pennies on the dollar, garage sales people are looking to take advantage of you not knowing what you have and offering low ball prices.

Just checked some of my LPs on discogs, Pink Floyd Dark Side of the moon Digitally Remastered in that condition is around $60. Johnny Cash Live at Folsom $27, ABBA Ring Ring $35...

Before I left Los Angeles, I went with my brother to Amoeba Records, and they had a lot of the 80's rock and metal albums we had, Metallica Master of Puppets in Mint $60, Prince Purple Rain $60...

I grew up on vinyl, later I was a DJ and have a nice collection of Progressive House and Trance vinyl...I love vinyl as a format. There's a whole gangle of people like me that revere this format and will pay for mint albums of good artists...

Good luck!
Old 02-08-2019, 04:58 AM

Received 2,584 Likes on 1,565 Posts

Good info...thanks!
Old 02-08-2019, 09:43 AM

Received 207 Likes on 169 Posts

Too bad. I played Hendrix so much back in the day that I wore out two copies of Electric Ladyland.
Old 02-08-2019, 02:50 PM

Received 696 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by MsPerky
Good info...thanks!
I agree, thanks.
Old 02-10-2019, 04:05 AM

Received 116 Likes on 77 Posts

I am just now setting up my home office. Yesterday I bought up my circa late 1970’s Pioneer receiver and turntable. Still need to hang a couple of things on the larger wall, but turntable is working. If this one did not work, I have a better one, a Technics Manual direct drive withe a Shure SME tonearm..

Old 02-10-2019, 09:15 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by PokS2k
I am just now setting up my home office. Yesterday I bought up my circa late 1970’s Pioneer receiver and turntable. Still need to hang a couple of things on the larger wall, but turntable is working. If this one did not work, I have a better one, a Technics Manual direct drive withe a Shure SME tonearm.
Aside from displaying your audio equipment Feng Shui considers the placement of your desk to be critical to your business and financial success. Your desk's position is a good choice for the “command” position! Well done!
Old 02-11-2019, 03:35 AM

Received 116 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by skunkworks
Aside from displaying your audio equipment Feng Shui considers the placement of your desk to be critical to your business and financial success. Your desk's position is a good choice for the “command” position! Well done!
thanks, facing both door and windows.
Old 02-11-2019, 04:32 AM

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

I'd like to add a bit more about vinyl care. Langelo's comment about going through 2 Hendrix albums from playing them so much might be from how they were handled. Considering that all my vinyl is still in near mint condition, even the ones I DJ'd with, you won't find a scratch or finger print on any of them. I've observed over the years that most people don't actually know how to handle records or how to set their turn tables up causing the quality of the sound to degrade badly.

Like our beloved S2000, vinyl does require special care and turn tables need to be setup and calibrated in a certain way so that your records will last a life time.

1. Never, ever, never, EVER put your fingers on the grooves of the record. Always handle them by the edges and center, you can easily put the edge of the record in your palm and middle finger on the center when pulling out of sleeve or placing in. When flipping the record to the other side handle it be the edges with your palms. Once you get your booger hook grease on the grooves it will never come off, and it will start to cake in with dirt, grime and dust. The grooves are tiny and require precision to be read correctly. Watching rap or other dj's palm the entire record while spinning is the equivalent of someone sitting in your passenger seat with muddy work boots...with them resting them on your dash board.

2. Cleaning and protecting. Always give it a light swipe with a record brush, one revolution is enough unless a lot of static and dust has built up. Then you can use a solution and static gun. I've been using this kit for years:
https://www.needledoctor.com/Discwasher-D4-Kit
Also, getting some the soft plastic sleeve inserts that have anti static properties will help reduce wear, so that you're not putting vinyl into paper sleeves.

3. Turntable Calibration. This is just like the alignment on the S2000, to much or too little will cause great imbalance. The key is you want the needle to have just enough force to rest comfortably in the grooves without popping out. What you do is take the tone arm and while it's in the cradle, use the weight adjustment spindle on the back and spin it so the tone arm is floating perfectly in the center. Then spin it one revolution to give it some weight and it should drop to the cradle. You are not set. Most people spin it all the way so that the needle is basically digging into the grooves, that's very bad as it's carving itself into the channels and scraping away material (SOUND!).

4. Needles. Get a good quality cartridge if you value your records. The needle is just like the tires on our S, crappy tires, crappy response. Different cartridges do different things and depending on what type of music you listen to, the type of cartridge will make all the difference. I have a nice set of gold plated Ortofons.

5. Turntable. There are two types, belt driven (uses a rubber band) or direct drive, which uses a motor and is very precise. Belt is not precise, the rubber stretches over time and the revolutions of the platter are not equal, which over time will cause wear on your albums. I use a Technic 1200 MK2, it's a beast and will last forever.

I think that covers it...happy listening!!

Last edited by Thomas Guide; 02-11-2019 at 06:31 AM.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:44 AM

Received 1,424 Likes on 954 Posts

Originally Posted by PokS2k
I am just now setting up my home office. Yesterday I bought up my circa late 1970’s Pioneer receiver and turntable. Still need to hang a couple of things on the larger wall, but turntable is working. If this one did not work, I have a better one, a Technics Manual direct drive withe a Shure SME tonearm..

Love the vintage Pioneer equipment. Pioneer made good stuff, in those days. They are the makers of Technics turntables. Still be made today.

What speakers are you using? I'm guessing ADS. These would match the equipment and space allowed, perfectly.

Old 02-11-2019, 05:48 AM

Received 1,424 Likes on 954 Posts

I'm stilling buying vinyl. Oddball, I guess. Last used one I got.

Quick Reply: Selling vinyl records